Think the game will take off?

Minijunkie

I’m really liking the look of the game and models in my pledge. But online conversation seems fairly quiet/muted (other than “where’s my shipment”)?

There are just SO many games out now competing for hobbyist and players’ time...I wonder if TOS can break through? Thoughts/observations/experiences so far?

I think TOS is in a weird, almost "early access" state right now. Production and shipping woes have marred the experience for many kickstarter backers. Wyrd has been nearly silent about the game, other than the ever-changing front page release date. I suspect they're embarrassed about the problems.

My prediction, however, is that Gen Con 2019 will see the true release for The Other Side that will test the game's ability to compete with other mass combat games. They should have all the products for sale, some extra goodies, and hopefully beautifully painted miniatures on display. That will be the time for gamers to choose to go all-in on a company.

• Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

It's getting a slow but definitive start out where I am currently, and it's unique enough to draw attention. The rules are somewhere between malifaux and Bolt Action, so it appeals to an entirely different demographic than you might expect. If you've got bolt action players nearby try checking out their games and it could encourage crossover. (True with any game really)

Invested in Malifaux over the years between me and my partner but today went to my LFGS  to attend a demo of TOS....so...am a Kickstarter investor but an outsider/newbie for this game...first taste ? Oh yeah ! Bring it on !....that's just me...but from other people in the shop both a lot of curiosity and compliments notwithstanding the fact that the shop to date has only  just taken delivery of the rulebook...because I have never been a part of 40K etc etc I cannot compare it to game x y or z I can only judge from other people's reactions around me...answer = it's a goer...my reaction ?.......I wish  I'd bought an Immolated Rhino

• Thanks 1

I’m thinking more public facing than trade magazines. For example google search or Facebook ads (which are much cheaper than one might think), more influencer outreach (I haven’t seen a single big hobby YouTube channel do content for the game but I could have missed it). There’s really a lot that can be done.

2 hours ago, AverageBoss said:

They honestly should have advertised and promoted the game heavily through 3rd parties before any of it hit store shelves. That ship has sailed though.

This can be a double-edged sword. If they push hard like this and something goes wrong with the shipping, it'll be bad. Right now it's kickstarter/backerkit supporters who have models, so it's not yet too late to do some marketing prior to major drops. Conventions are a great place to do a marketing push as well, especially with fully painted demo models and a stock of available-for-sale units.

I know at my FLGS we're excited about the game and trying to squeeze in as many games as we can. There's some competition with other games (including playtesting), but the cleanliness of play and pacing of the game has a strong appeal.

• Like 1

Games seem to take off after a tournament at one of the big cons (LVO, Adepticon, technically GenCon but that seems to have lost the minis crowd).  A large tournament well covered with pictures of nice tables and painted armies will likely determine how well the game continues to fare.

I feel like minis are in a weird era where players are more aware of their launch and putting more stock in how big the game is at launch.  It's likely bleed from the digital market, but minis games have never really worked that way.  They've always been small things that blossom over time.  It seems even more true with Kickstarters where people assume the campaign community somehow translates to their local shop.  In any case, it feels like we need to be a little less afraid of a game not making it, because more and more, it just feels like a self fulfilling prophecy.

26 minutes ago, WWHSD said:

I don't think the store I play at has sold one copy of any ToS product that they have ordered in the 3 weeks it has been on the shelf.

It's early in the game's life span. My store doesn't stock many minis at all full time. They keep everything you need to assemble, paint and transport them, and usually a starter set or two of the games that are common around the shop, but they just order what people ask for in unless it's a launch day for a new wave of figures. It helps games not *look* dead when they're really just gaining interest.

3 minutes ago, Thedeadclaw said:

It's early in the game's life span. My store doesn't stock many minis at all full time. They keep everything you need to assemble, paint and transport them, and usually a starter set or two of the games that are common around the shop, but they just order what people ask for in unless it's a launch day for a new wave of figures. It helps games not *look* dead when they're really just gaining interest.

It's definitely still early but I'm just not sure who's going to buy into the game and get a community started in the area. The one local Malifaux player I know that's kind of interested in ToS is already kind of burnt out on trying to keep a Malifaux community going. I don't see him picking up a game other than Malifaux unless there's already an active community and all he needs to do is show up to get in games.

• Like 1

Most importantly IMHO is to keep all speculation in perspective....for those involved in The Kickstarter it has been a two year build up...for those looking on or curious the same.....for the rest of the world however it is brand new...my LFGS has none yet in stock...the first demo was this last weekend and it was favourably received....as @LunarSol mentioned it will take tournaments to establish the game and demos at conventions to enthuse newcomers...as the first pictures of games and painted squads go online then for myself I have no doubt that interest will gather apace😉

14 minutes ago, Minijunkie said:

Are you guys sure about shows/tournaments? I feel like those don’t matter that much to casual gamers who can’t attend them. 

Unless you know someone who is already playing it then photos will count for a lot...neither do I do tournaments but one or two shows a year yes...but if that isn't possible it's the photos of games and minis that gets me asking "wow ! What's that ?"...once we start seeing the minis in context of a game as opposed to studio shots or renders then from what I saw this weekend there is definitely a ton of visual appeal with an intriguing gameplay...it's only just starting to hit the shelves...I'm already working out what I want to buy next

7 minutes ago, Minijunkie said:

Are you guys sure about shows/tournaments? I feel like those don’t matter that much to casual gamers who can’t attend them. 

I think it's a culture thing. Certainly for me in the UK, going to local tournaments was how malifaux grew locally from several unconnected groups of 2 or 3 players, to cross playing of those groups. It's held fairly true for several other systems from guildball and x wing, to relic knights and kings of war. ( the first 2 have tournament following and kept going, the later 2 died as far as I could see). But then our gaming clubs aren't often attached to a store, so you don't know how many groups are playing even with stuff from the same store without some way to connect the group's.