Guild vs Lynch?

Brittney

Hello, let me start by saying this is my first post on the forums after lurking for a while. I need some advice. My husband and I are pretty new to Malifaux and really just play against each other. After starting with the starter box and teaching ourselves how to play, we decided to pick a crew. He picked Lynch, he was torn between NB and 10T but M3E has made it easy for him. I am commiting to guild (eventually maybe the whole faction). My question is what is the best guild master to start with to balance against Lynch? I already have Perdita and Criid boxes but I read Lynch can really struggle against range. My husband already jokes/not really that I always beat him in video games and tabletop games. I plan on getting all the M3E keyword boxes for the crews we play. Maybe even add some versatile models if they are must haves, but I'd like to keep to thematic crews. With this in mind, any advice on what crew will balance best against Lynch? Help is much appreciated!

Welcome to the forums!

If I'm understanding you correctly you want masters who are worse against Lynch because you worry Sonnia and Perdita will be too good?

Sonnia can be extremely brutal by blasting away most of a crew and I've heard a few people who said they quit the game after facing Perdita in their first couple of games so those two will give your husband a pretty rough start. Maybe he should just bow down and admit your superiority? :D

Lucius has a solid reputation for not being very overpowering but extremely fun (most fun master in the game if you ask me). With the upcoming edition change he is very likely getting a new box because his old one has a model that will become a new master so it might be a bit awkward to start him now. Hoffman is usually fun for both sides as well, especially if you use his entire starter box. Lady Justice played with her entire box is usually managable for an opponent since certain models in it are pretty mediocre even if the Lady herself is very strong. Might fit you perfectly! ;)

On a more serious note very few guild masters are overpowering unless you bring a super optimised crew (often Francisco to make the master really annoying to hit among other things). If you build fun crews in theme you should be fine.

The VP system and cheating mechanics also make the game extremely skill based so if there is a distinct difference in player level it almost doesn't matter what models you both bring. The only master i would avoid is probably Nellie since she kind of breaks a few rules that can make her harsch to face. Realising you can win despite the opponent killing most of your models is necessary to enjoy Malifaux. Learning to play for VP and not kills is necessary to get good. Hope you both enjoy your games! If you both only play against each other I think you will be fine.

One key swing factor in matchups of Lynch versus either Criid or Perdita is the density of the terrain.  If there are enough staggered places to hide completely out of LoS (as Criid gets + against high WP to negate cover and Perdita often brings the upgrade to ignore cover) Lynch's crew has a much better shot of surviving, and Lynch himself has a better chance to do what he does best, skulk in the shadows like a coward waiting to unleash holy hell on targets of opportunity.  The Guild's Badge of Office upgrade can put a serious kink in this plan for him of offing masters, as it can nullify his highest damage attack, Final Debt, allowing the master to survive and retaliate.  Lynch dies easily.  If he can get his summoning engine rolling, throwing Depleted models in the way can also take the brunt off of ranged crews, though it requires him to get fairly close to kill things.

So, my advice would be: try not to have too many wide open kill zones on your board by really evenly spacing the full 1/3 of terrain pieces, and, if you want to be really sporting, leave the Badge at home.

For Lynch, The Rising Sun can be great in these matchups, as the Hungering Darkness falls really easily to both Sonnia and Perdita; though Cheating Bastard can really help with his Brilliance output, giving him extra damage potential, and always cheating last is really strong.  I avoid taking Endless Darkness against the Guild specifically because of Sonnia and Perdita, and I try to kill Francisco quickly (he is found in many competitive Guild lists).

• Like 1