Franchute

2019 Monthly Painting Challenge

Hello,

I'm opening this thread to organize ourselves for the 2019 Monthly Painting Challenge. The idea of the challenge is a motivational one. It is simply a friendly painting community---not a competition---that we use to find motivation to finish painting our Malifaux miniatures. At the beginning of the year, you announce how many soulstones you will be painting during each month of the year 2019 by choosing your pledge category. 

The idea of this thread is threefold:

• Please announce here if you want to enroll and for which pledge category
  • If you want to be in charge of the administrative part of the challenge---basically what I was doing this year 2018 (and what @prof_bycid or Vaiuri were doing before)---please let me know. It would be great if the we could rotate the person in charge
  • We should discuss how to adjust the rules of the challenge. One aspect @Boomstick mentioned is how to consider TOS minis. Maybe there are other aspects worth mentioning

The pledge categories we have been using are the following:

• Minion: you paint at least 1 soulstone each month
  • Enforcer: you paint at least 6 soulstones each month
  • Henchman: you paint at least 11 soulstones each month
  • Master: you paint at least 16 soulstones each month
  • Emissary (should we change the name to Tyrant?): you paint at least 31 soulstones each month

The challenge will start on January 1st 2019. The rules from the 2018 challenge were the following:

• Models count for the month in which you finish them. You can finish painting a model that you started before the beginning of the month.
  • Everyone may fail to make their monthly goal twice and stay in the challenge.
  • You can choose to go down in the pledge hierarchy during the year, but you cannot move up.
  • You may choose to sign up during a later month for the challenge but this means that you'll have to use one or two of the aforementioned mulligans: e.g. if you start in February, one mulligan will automatically be used because we missed January; if you start in March, two mulligans will already be used; you cant start in April.
  • Masters count for 15 soulstones
  • Zero cost models count for 5 soulstones
  • Terrain count too. Terrain must be painted and is treated like zero cost models (i.e. count for 5 soulstones). The piece of terrain must be significantly larger than a 50mm marker.
  • Like 3

***CROSSPOST***

@Franchute: First of all, my enormous thanks to Franchute for organising this challenge this year.
Second, I have been considering organising the challenge for 2019, albeit with a few small changes. To that end, I have asked Wyrd if they would support a monthly prize. Basically, if they support the challenge, I'll happily run it (if Franchute is happy to hand over, and the community thinks I can do it!).
So, I'm waiting on their reply. If they give me their support, then I might open a new enrolment thread. I hope that's all ok!

Caedrus.

• Like 2

Sign me up as an Enforcer and consider me interestedly watching for further developments from Caedrus! Seconded thanks to @Franchute for running the challenge through 2018, it's been a nice constant amid all the craziness (in the world in general and me personally).

As for TOS, I'm still thinking of good ways to measure progress, since unit costs generally equal 6-9 models spread across 2-3 fireteams, but then there are also Titans (for roughly the same cost as a unit) and commanders/champions, which are generally single model units on a 40-50mm base. Maybe something like each fireteam is worth the SS equal to their unit's cost? Double or triple for the Titans (they're seriously massive and glorious) and 15 for commanders, just like masters? I'm just brainstorming here if anyone else has better ideas.

• Like 2

Thanks for all of your effort, @Franchute! Unfortunately I dropped-out fairly early during the 2018 challenge as things got more personally difficult. I hope to start a new medical treatment soon that will hopefully solve some of the problems of 2018 (and before).

In light of that, I would like to please sign up again as a Minion, and I hope I get all the way through the coming year this time.

Thanks for putting your hand up, @Caedrus😊

• Like 2

@Franchute really appreciate how much you put into running this years and for chasing us up when we haven’t been in touch. It really has kept me getting paint on minis and seeing everyone’s work has kept me motivated.

I would definitely be up for entering next years @Caedrus happy to post in another post if you start one up, but will pledge for Master level at the moment (Have 12 unpainted masters so that is likely my goal next year).

• Like 2

I had a lot of life drama happen this year so I’m hoping to be more active in my painting and this community going forward. @Franchute you’re awesome for giving us this outlet and I’ll happily support @Caedrus taking up the mantle. Sign me up for the master category because I need to push myself to get through my back log of minis XD

• Like 2

@Franchute thank you so much for running the challenge ❤️ This was my first year and I had a great time in our little community. You were all very helpful with your advice and comments, I appreciate it a lot. I even learnt how to use GreenStuff to hide gaps, yay!

@Caedruscontacting Wyrd sounds like a great idea. I hope you'll be our new chief for 2019 ;) 

I will sign up for the next year as an Enforcer. A step up from this year's Minion pledge :)

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

I've been watching the monthly challenge since I joined the forum earlier this year and wanted to join in, so keen to be part of it!

please sign me up for Henchman!

• Like 3

Hello, Wyrdos and Painters!

This year, @Franchute ran an absolutely excellent community painting challenge. In 2019, I’ll try my hand at the challenge. I had a few ideas about a monthly reward, but there were a few reservations in the community, so I’m happy to abandon the idea about rewards; this is about the community, not about me!

The established soulstone-based formula seems to be working, so let’s keep doing that. I had a few ideas about terrain values (and none about The Other Side), and an idea about Achievements! I’d sincerely love to know your thoughts, feedback, and suggestions. Here goes:

Idea 1: Terrain.

Terrain is worth 5 soulstones per 50mm base. Here’s a piece of unfinished terrain (shot from above, it’s a subway entry). This would be worth 15 Soulstones, the same as a Master. Does that sound about right?

bMbXhCe.jpg

Idea 2: The Other Side.

Following from @Boomstick’s suggestion, shall we start with the following costing of ‘The Other Side’ miniatures?

• ·         Fireteams are worth their unit cost in Soulstones.
  • ·         Titans are worth triple their value, just from size and complexity.
  • ·         Commanders, like Masters, are worth 15 Soulstones.

What do people think? Does this work?

Idea 3: Achievements.

I thought it might be fun to encourage everyone to push outside of their comfort zones in 2019. Much like Achievements in the online gaming world, I thought it might be fun to put up a list of Achievements in painting. These are for fun, to try something new, and to generally encourage getting pigment onto plastic! I’ve been scribbling down a few ideas, and I have close to 100 Achievements. I’ll list a few below, and I’d love to hear your feedback; would you try some of these? Do they look fun, or just silly? Would they encourage or irritate? Let me know what you think, and be honest! Hopefully my references aren't too obtuse...

All your base are belong to us: Make a base as impressive as the miniature.

Wololo: Convert a Wyrd miniature.

Buddhist: Use the non-metal-metal painting style.

Thin your paints, must you: Give constructive advice to a fellow painter

My eyes! The goggles do nothing!: Show your worst miniature to the Wyrd Community, right here.

These colours don't run: Paint a miniature using the colours of your nation's flag for the majority (take that, Japan and Canada!).

What are your thoughts, folks? This is your community, so let me know what seems about right!

No matter what, I look forward to painting alongside you all next year.

Caedrus.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Agree 1

First of all, thank you so very much @Franchute for your hard work and your patience, you rock! Wonderful job in the 2018 challenge!

Second, @Caedrus thank you very much for taking the role! I really like your ideas, only thing is that if I show you my worst model I don't want anybody complaining about how they lost their sight, :D

And third, sing me up as Emissary!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

On 12/6/2018 at 9:55 AM, Franchute said:

Count me in as an enforcer @Caedrus please. Thanks a lot for your help this year.

@Caedrus I changed my mind. Sign me as a henchman please ;) 

By the way, I am fine with all your ideas. I have no clew about the other side though: I havent looked at the game yet.

@FranchuteThanks for your efforts this year, well done! :)

@Caedrus Thanks for picking up the mantle and running 2019. Nice ideas for the changes.

I'm also stealing your format of listing a single model and trying for extra stretch goals with what I paint each month. Don't think I'll keep up with your efforts but I like the idea of the system so sign me up for 2019 as a "minion" please.

• Like 1

@Franchute - really great job running the challenge in 2018, thanks for the effort!

I think I'll join this one too although I don't have many minis left to paint. Hopefully commissions and maybe M3E will anable me to continue with the Master level :)

• Like 3