2019 Monthly Painting Challenge

Franchute

I was wandering about the mulligan thing and I think it's a bit harsh for those who started late in the year and those who failed. I would not want to have their motivation dismissed. In 2018, we clearly can see much more participation in the beginning of the year and less and less through the year, rather than more and more.

I liked the idea of a stickers (like the "creature features" one), for those who succeed their pledge, it would be enough of a motivation to keep people, but not enough to have people feel like "failing".

Hope you get what I mean 😛 

• Like 4

@bedjy and all,

I've asked the Wyrd folk if they would support a forum badge, and Kimberley is looking into it, and seemed supportive of the idea. @Kimberly hasn't joined the 2019 competition, I note, nudging with a subtle hint of welcome.

Honestly, I'd like to be more inclusive, so if the forum badges become a reality, I'd be inclined to ditch the mulligans in favour of 'if you paint to your pledge level every month, you get the forum badge at the end' sort of thing.

Caedrus.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, emiba said:

So, this month we're using M2E costs, right? 😯 

Do we switch to M3E costs when the open beta starts or when it's properly released?

I'd say this month keep M2e, since people have planned their painting according to M2e costs.

I'm not feeling strongly about the matter but due to beta being "subject to change", I'd prefer to go with 2e costs that are relatively set in stone. This way no one will pledge X stones at the beginning of a month and finish with X-Y stones even though they completed their pledge in full.

• Agree 6

4 hours ago, Nikodemus said:

I'm not feeling strongly about the matter but due to beta being "subject to change", I'd prefer to go with 2e costs that are relatively set in stone. This way no one will pledge X stones at the beginning of a month and finish with X-Y stones even though they completed their pledge in full.

I didn't even think that far. Good thought.

• Agree 1

I am absolutely opposed to removing mulligans, even though I "mulliganed out" last year due to injury. This challenge is about growing my skills as a painter, sure. It's also about discipline. I get my soulstones out every month or I don't get to participate.

I want folks in the challenge to be 100% committed. IMO mulligans are there to accommodate things like vacations and injuries. I'm having wrist surgery near the end of this month so I'm going to mulligan February. I've only got one left for the next ten months so I damn well better step up. I thought hard about this before I committed to 2019.

So what about badges for the die-hards and not for the tourists as an alternative? That's fine for those who care about badges. They hold zero interest for me. Delivering on my pledge every month is rewarding. Seeing other committed painters grow their skills is rewarding. Developing camaraderie with other committed painters is rewarding. I believe that loosening up the requirements will open the door to less-committed players, diluting the community rather than growing it.

That being said, I'd like to work out a way for folks to join later in the year. I couldn't participate in the 2017 challenge because I didn't hear about it until June.

On the cost topic, why not let each painter choose which edition they're using until 3e ships? Now that NDAs are lifted, I can tell you that I was part of the closed beta and I pitched all my 2e cards (I have a ruthless anti-clutter policy). It was pure luck that the Engineer's cost didn't change. :P That's fine for me but I don't expect 2e players to jump on the 3e bandwagon while costs are in flux.

• Like 2

I don't think it'd be fair to call this a challenge if there wasn't some risk of failure. With unlimited mulligans it'd just be a thread where you post whatever you happened to paint in a given month.

One or two is a good number to allow for real-world problems while still keeping the pressure on to paint what you pledge.

• Agree 1

17 hours ago, misterfinn said:

I am absolutely opposed to removing mulligans, even though I "mulliganed out" last year due to injury. This challenge is about growing my skills as a painter, sure. It's also about discipline. I get my soulstones out every month or I don't get to participate.

I want folks in the challenge to be 100% committed. IMO mulligans are there to accommodate things like vacations and injuries. I'm having wrist surgery near the end of this month so I'm going to mulligan February. I've only got one left for the next ten months so I damn well better step up. I thought hard about this before I committed to 2019.

So what about badges for the die-hards and not for the tourists as an alternative? That's fine for those who care about badges. They hold zero interest for me. Delivering on my pledge every month is rewarding. Seeing other committed painters grow their skills is rewarding. Developing camaraderie with other committed painters is rewarding. I believe that loosening up the requirements will open the door to less-committed players, diluting the community rather than growing it.

That being said, I'd like to work out a way for folks to join later in the year. I couldn't participate in the 2017 challenge because I didn't hear about it until June.

On the cost topic, why not let each painter choose which edition they're using until 3e ships? Now that NDAs are lifted, I can tell you that I was part of the closed beta and I pitched all my 2e cards (I have a ruthless anti-clutter policy). It was pure luck that the Engineer's cost didn't change. :P That's fine for me but I don't expect 2e players to jump on the 3e bandwagon while costs are in flux.

Buy this man a beer! I'm completely agree with him, I prefer people having mulligans and still painting that quitting after failing to meet a target. I think the badges are a cool idea but they are not such a big thing to miss in case you use a mulligan. 

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

I'm tempted to sign up, just a few questions before I do:

- this is entirely on the honor system, right? No prizes except points, bragging rights and FPA, and no punishment except getting put on the List of Shame and booed?

- since there's no prizes, do we even have to take pictures to show that the models are unpainted/WIP to start with? Or do we just post the end result and if someone decides to just post some models they had done months ago, they just suffer the shame of knowing they're a dirty cheating scum?

- do WIPs count? I'm not talking just primer, but something like "has basic color and basic wash, still needs all the highlighting, details, finishing effects and basing"?

- I don't get how the tier hierarchy works. Can I sign up as Tyrant-tier and drop to Master-tier or even lower if I decide I don't have enough time? And if so, and if I do it in the middle of the month, which tier does that month count towards? Would I still have to fulfill the reqs of the higher tier?

- How many points do avatars count as? As an extra master, or differently?

- Is there any way to get back a mulligan, like painting extra models in two consecutive months or something? I just learned about the contest so I'd be a mulligan short already.

@Caedrus ?

My understanding is that getting models finished is what counts, so half Finished models on your shelf are fair game. You'll eventually run out of them and it's super variable how many hours people out into each stage of their models anyway.

Posting your unpainted models is to help motivate you. If they're still unfinished at the end of the month then shame on you. I don't think there's any problem listing model in your that aren't picture as you'll still be accountable for completing them.

You can't change your pledge level but if you paint more than you pledge that's great. Basically you state your minimum pledge. 

There is no way to get a mulligans back.

@Caedrus - correct me if I'm wrong.

And welcome to the challenge!

• Thanks 1
  • Agree 1