Monthly Painting Challenge - December

Franchute

Hello,

Here is the thread for December of the monthly painting challenge (the last month!!!). We should determine who will replace me next year (i.e. next month!!). Who would like to run the 2019 challenge?

Please post your pictures, plans and discussions for the month of November here.

I'm also copy-pasting a reminder of the rules and the principles of the challenge:

The idea of the challenge is a motivational one. It is simply a friendly painting community---not a competition---that we use to find motivation to finish painting our Malifaux miniatures. You pledge an amount of soulstones that you will be painting each month of the year 2018. If you want to enroll for the challenge, it's too late because you would use too many mulligans.

I'll use the following spreadsheet to keep track of each one's situation: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1zYYugrSGk_4GTo8OjHjyfI_ruYWYOSnhy7U2ivbgfZ8/edit?usp=sharing

Some specific rules:

• Models count for the month in which you finish them. 
  • Everyone may fail to make their monthly goal twice and stay in the challenge.
  • You can choose to go down in the pledge hierarchy during the year, but you cannot move up.
  • You may choose to sign up during a later month for the challenge but this means that you'll have to use one or two of the aforementioned mulligans: e.g. if you start in February, one mulligan will already been used; if you start in March, two mulligans will already been used; you cant start in April.
  • Masters count for 15 soulstones
  • Zero cost models count for 5 soulstones
  • Terrain count too. Terrain must be painted and is treated like zero cost models (i.e. count for 5 soulstones). The piece of terrain must be significantly larger than a 50mm marker.

Greetings All!

My pledge for December will be a single mindless zombie.

4mPZRL5.jpg

I may not actually do more than that, because it's shaping up to be my busiest month, er, ever.

Stretch goals? December Acolytes, maybe Lady Justice, and the Judge.

Super stretch goals? A Peacekeeper.

Keep putting pigment to plastic!

Caedrus.

• Like 1

These metal mindless zombies are really nice. They have a lot of character.

I pledge plastic terror tots, they are already built and primed. Then I want to start Lilith to finish my Nephilim 😃

---

As for running the challenge, it might maybe go on without a moderator if noone can pick it up? It'd be a pity to disband our small community and we could still share our monthly work with each other.

• Like 1

Hi!

For November these are my models:

* Iggy pup (Luna): 4SS (I couldn't finish her on November, so she gets a second chance on December).

* Elli Ramone (Mounted Guard): 7 SS.

* Patti Ramone (Mounted Guard): 7SS.

* Perdita: 15 SS

* Francisco Ortega: 8SS

For a total of 41 SS. Elli and Patti Ramone are going to take quite a long time since they have to be painted before assembling, but if everything goes fine I should have enough time to paint everything (considering I don't have Christmas holidays). 

• Like 1

My December pledge

41-ACFD77-714-A-4-E76-AE6-B-85-BC408-C6-

I tried wet blending Mah dress and even though I had fun, it was really hard. I’ve only been doing thin glaze layers on the Kentauroi(sp?) and enjoying it immensely even if it is taking hours.

I’m unsure about the horse body...should I try to be interesting and do a zebra, tiger, leopard coat...or stick to a nice dark brown mane...?

• Like 2

For this month, and the home stretch, I'm aiming to finish up the Undying box (everything but the Grave Golem from last month) Asura, and a box of mindless zombies for a friend.

Personal stretch goal is the Gremlin half of Backdraft (Whiskey Gamin may be the most adorable robots ever)

large.20181203_113203.jpg.11d47d85c6a2188c431bc1fb4a6a2106.jpg

• Like 4

Thanks all, wish I had waited for responses but I got a bit carried away and did this within an hour of posting my last post

62599906-CDEE-4-A6-E-9-F88-A7-A5-F02-E51

90077-F25-464-F-45-D3-AD3-A-90705-B151-D

I will definitely get another put together tomorrow and do zebra pattern on it

@bedjy that is a great tutorial for zebra pattern, Will def use that method, thx

• Like 4

@Franchute: First of all, my enormous thanks to Franchute for organising this challenge this year.
Second, I have been considering organising the challenge for 2019, albeit with a few small changes. To that end, I have asked Wyrd if they would support a monthly prize. Basically, if they support the challenge, I'll happily run it (if Franchute is happy to hand over, and the community thinks I can do it!).
So, I'm waiting on their reply. If they give me their support, then I might open a new enrolment thread. I hope that's all ok!

Caedrus.

• Like 4

@Franchute, @prof_bycid: I may have expressed myself poorly. 'Prize' was a poor choice of words. Rather, I was looking at encouragement rewards, for painting improvement, or for supporting the community. The focus was not on painting quality or quantity. There are enough of those competitions around. I believe that this monthly challenge is, and should remain, about having fun painting, encouragement, being part of a great community, and constructive advice (in that order). If folks are concerned about the idea of (very modest!) rewards, I'll cancel the request to Wyrd for support in a heartbeat. This challenge is about the community, not about me!

• Like 5

Thanks for being willing to take this on, @Caedrus.  I have absolutely no authority here, as I am just anther Wyrd fan.  So this was just my preference.  I do think support from from the Head Office would change things, even if they are all super-righteous folks. But I don't want to tell you how to run this if you take it on.

Cheers

• Like 1

On 12/6/2018 at 8:12 AM, Caedrus said:

@Franchute, @prof_bycid: I may have expressed myself poorly. 'Prize' was a poor choice of words. Rather, I was looking at encouragement rewards, for painting improvement, or for supporting the community. The focus was not on painting quality or quantity. There are enough of those competitions around. I believe that this monthly challenge is, and should remain, about having fun painting, encouragement, being part of a great community, and constructive advice (in that order). If folks are concerned about the idea of (very modest!) rewards, I'll cancel the request to Wyrd for support in a heartbeat. This challenge is about the community, not about me!

How about something in the middle? We could ask for one of those tags like the "Creature Feature" one @bedjy has, something fancy saying "2019 challenge" for instance and you would get it if you finish the year, or in gold, silver and bronze depending on if you delivered the 12 months, 6 or three, something like that. Or a raffle among those who fulfil their pledge, but keeping it small and nice so the non-competitive essence is not lost. 

• Like 4
  • Agree 1

@Chou A forum badge would be fun, that's a great idea. 

I actually like the idea of small rewards from Wyrd. A raffle at the end of the month/year among all participants would add a bit of excitement. I never win in them, but I still love raffles 😃 On the other hand, I wouldn't like competitive prizes. The force of the challenge is that it is not a competition and welcomes all levels.

• Like 1