Waldo's Weekly - Serving Up Summons

Kyle

How about a timeline for release? ;)

Honestly...id like to get s better idea of how keyword will work with thunders. Basically every model was duel faction. I feel like as a faction they have the biggest question as to what will be playable or not with their masters. Would be nice to habe a better idea how thunders is going to shake out. As of now im in a buying stasis for them (my solo faction) just due to all the uncertainty. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, rober695 said:

How about a timeline for release? ;)

Honestly...id like to get s better idea of how keyword will work with thunders. Basically every model was duel faction. I feel like as a faction they have the biggest question as to what will be playable or not with their masters. Would be nice to habe a better idea how thunders is going to shake out. As of now im in a buying stasis for them (my solo faction) just due to all the uncertainty. 

I would have thought that the Thunders style is almost the template M3 is using to base its keywords on. That doesn't help so much when you are trying to work where the "generic" thunders models are likely to go, but I would imagine that most of the time if the master could take the model in either faction, then they probably will still be able to take the model. There may well be a few exceptions (McCabe and dogs/guards is the only one which springs to mind,) but your faction is, on the whole, the easiest to see key words for, and see how they work  

That said, they might well be a good way to show people the keyword mechanic for that reason...

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

Themes could also collide / converge with faction identity, especially in the case of dual faction masters.

For example, how would Hoffmann / Zoraida / Lucius /Marcus... play differently depending of the faction you declare if all the theme models are available? Or do they play roughly the same?

I guess it would be a matter of the declared faction versatile models (and maybe non-versatile models but the 1SS penalty may be a killer as the themes flesh out) or perhaps generic upgrades.

It would be really interesting to first see how a theme is built by the game designers and how they ensure the variation of playstyle (or at least a constance in competitivity) in both factions a dual faction master is in.

One of the problem of dual faction masters in M2E was that they were often only competitve in one faction and the performance in the other was lackluster.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Adran said:

That said, they might well be a good way to show people the keyword mechanic for that reason...

*positively quivers in place trying to hold back the most obvious as well as bestest suggestion of keywords crossing factions even if they didn’t before but they totally did c’mon but it’s obvious what they are and therefore the worst idea for a suggestion*

3 hours ago, Zeitgeist said:

I would like to know what happens with Collodi. I wanted to buy him for my Neverborn, but after I learned that his fate is unsure I am not willing to purchase the crew box.

Ok let’s go with that instead. Puppets are a kind of stompybot.

What happens to a wicked doll? Who gets them in theme? Just Collodi? Where does Vasalisa go?

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Gnomezilla said:

*positively quivers in place trying to hold back the most obvious as well as bestest suggestion of keywords crossing factions even if they didn’t before but they totally did c’mon but it’s obvious what they are and therefore the worst idea for a suggestion*

You're right. Bishop always was a sky pirate in his head. :DI totally saw him pushing pianos on people head.

• Haha 2
  • Agree 1

13 hours ago, Adran said:

I would have thought that the Thunders style is almost the template M3 is using to base its keywords on. That doesn't help so much when you are trying to work where the "generic" thunders models are likely to go, but I would imagine that most of the time if the master could take the model in either faction, then they probably will still be able to take the model. There may well be a few exceptions (McCabe and dogs/guards is the only one which springs to mind,) but your faction is, on the whole, the easiest to see key words for, and see how they work  

My understanding was that you couldn't hire out of faction. The way its worded  came across to me that keyword models cost less...but could only be hired if they are within faction. Not that they allowed out of faction hiring. I could have misunderstood that though. 

• Like 1

From what I'm gathering Keywords cross factions... as if the Infiltration ability no longer exists because it's just part of the normal rules, which is great cause only choosing 4 Lost with Hamelin was upsetting.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, rober695 said:

My understanding was that you couldn't hire out of faction. The way its worded  came across to me that keyword models cost less...but could only be hired if they are within faction. Not that they allowed out of faction hiring. I could have misunderstood that though. 

I'm not sure we've seen exact rules anywhere. I would imagine that there is some hiring rules that allow Yan Lo to hire Izamu regardless of if he is Resser or TT.

the FAQ gives us this information, which offers hints, but certainly isn't anything firm.

Will any models be changing Factions?
As Malifaux’s story continues to develop, so too do the characters within the world; alliances will shift and enemies will be made. This means that some characters may add, remove, or completely change Factions. Models that were previously Dual Faction will remain in the game, but have had to choose sides, and only have one Faction, except for some Masters and their respective totems. But don’t worry, Keywords will make sure those models can still be hired by their appropriate master. 
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Adran said:

I'm not sure we've seen exact rules anywhere. I would imagine that there is some hiring rules that allow Yan Lo to hire Izamu regardless of if he is Resser or TT.

the FAQ gives us this information, which offers hints, but certainly isn't anything firm.

What are thematic Crews? 
Crews within Malifaux will now be hired based on the Keyword of the Crew’s Leader. Crews can hire any model (regardless of Faction) into a Crew if it shares a Keyword with the Crew’s Leader. Any other model within the Crew’s declared Faction can be hired, albeit at a slight penalty of +1 Soulstone Cost.

The above is from the official M3E FAQ.

Edited by TheJoyInGaming
Source
  • Thanks 1

On 11/28/2018 at 7:37 AM, Adran said:

Got ya. I missed the faq. Do we know from a story standpoint where Mr. Graves and Mr. Tannen wind up?

On 12/5/2018 at 4:27 PM, rober695 said:

Do we know from a story standpoint where Mr. Graves and Mr. Tannen wind up?

Well they work at the Honey Pot, and they are Mimics; I see them staying Ten Thunders but being able to be hired by Lucius no matter which faction played, but that's just my opinion.