Unit, Squad, Fireteam, Model

Polyhydra

Question

So I think I understand the hierarchy in TOS, but I would like confirmation. I know I am not the only one that finds this confusing.

So ALL units are composed of 1+ fireteams, and all fireteams are composed of 1+ models. Units are what are hired and have unit cards.

If a unit is composed of more than one fireteam, the collection of fireteams is called a squad. A unit of only one fireteam can be a squad, but not necessarily. For example, the GH Egg Clutch is a solo model/ solo fireteam squad, but the Devouring Eel is a solo model/ solo fireteam non-squad. 

The consequence of this is that fireteam is an unnecessary term as far as I can tell because every unit has the Fireteam special unit rule (but I get why it is used in the game).

Another consequence is that combined arms fireteams are added to the unit whose unit card includes the combined arms special rule. However, I don’t think they are part of the squad. “In all other ways, it functions as a normal Fireteam in the unit it came with (including Activations, Orders, etc.).” (pg39) The only thing I think needs explicit clarification here is whether formation rules apply (I don’t think they do). 

Finally, for the GH allegiance rule Endless Numbers, it says you may summon a squad that was killed on the previous turn per tactics token discarded. Additionally, it states that you can summon any number of squad this way. However, the summon rule states that “If the unit is a squad, it only has a single fireteam.” (pg57) The consequence I want to highlight is that you only get one fireteam from the squad of three, you cannot summon killed fireteams if some remain alive, and that this rule could not be used for the Devouring Eel. 

Please let let me know if any of this is incorrect. 

• Like 1

3 answers to this question

The Fireteam itself is what gets targeted most of the time, so that's mostly when that term matters.  You've got the hierarchy right though!  Also just to point out, a multi-Fireteam unit isn't inherently a Squad (though currently all of them are), just like how not all single Fireteam units are Titans or Champions.

Combined Arms Fireteams are part of the unit, they just use a different Fireteam and unit card.  So if the unit they're in is a Squad, then they must also follow the Cohesion rules.

You're exactly right on Endless Numbers.  If all but one Fireteam in a Squad is killed, the unit itself isn't killed so can't be summoned back yet, and a Devouring Eel can never be brought back that way.

• Like 1

The big thing that Combined Arms does is that it adds a Titan Fireteam to a Squad Unit without making the Unit a Titan Unit.  That’s part of what the parenthetical “this does not change the unit’s special rules for game rules, like deployment” means.

It also means that you don’t put the Cutter or the Walker on the table by themselves during deployment. All of a Combined Arms(Titan) Squad gets placed in the “squads” deployment step.

Page 60 really should have an errata to say “Titan units”.  It’d save on the number of repetitions.