Tide Caller Asset Questions

baggined

Question

So, played my first game today, I had fun but some also had a couple questions in regards to Horomatangi's Tide Caller Asset.

1.) Does versatile only allow one extra action from the asset or can you do each as extra from versatile?

2.) How does the duel and targeting work for both of these actions?  The duel looks like an opposed duel because it is against Sp, but then the range is a pulse. Then the result says it effects everything within so many inches of Horomatangi, so for example, Tidal Wave: would you target one model within pulse three of Horomatangi, perform a Sp duel against that model and then if you succeed, all enemy fireteams within 3 inches take a penetration flip?   If so, why is the range pulse three instead of just three inches?

Thanks!

6 answers to this question

On 11/17/2018 at 8:41 PM, solkan said:

If you have more than one card that says that (for instance, if you get Gorshchye with more than one Snapping Heads card, or the Dreadnought with multiple Mounted Gunners) then each card's Versatile applies to that card.  So Gorshchye gets one extra attack per Snapping Heads card. 

I think he's asking "Can a Versatile Asset with two Actions on it take both actions every turn?" like Horomatangi's Tide Caller Asset.

I would say no, since it says " A Fireteam in this unit may take an Action listed on this card in addition to any other Actions it takes." My bolding.

On 11/17/2018 at 6:14 PM, baggined said:

So, played my first game today, I had fun but some also had a couple questions in regards to Horomatangi's Tide Caller Asset.

1.) Does versatile only allow one extra action from the asset or can you do each as extra from versatile?

Versatile: Actions on this card may only be taken once during a unit’s Activation. A Fireteam in this unit may take an Action listed on this card in addition to any other Actions it takes.

If you have more than one card that says that (for instance, if you get Gorshchye with more than one Snapping Heads card, or the Dreadnought with multiple Mounted Gunners) then each card's Versatile applies to that card.  So Gorshchye gets one extra attack per Snapping Heads card.

2.) How does the duel and targeting work for both of these actions?  The duel looks like an opposed duel because it is against Sp, but then the range is a pulse. Then the result says it effects everything within so many inches of Horomatangi, so for example, Tidal Wave: would you target one model within pulse three of Horomatangi, perform a Sp duel against that model and then if you succeed, all enemy fireteams within 3 inches take a penetration flip?   If so, why is the range pulse three instead of just three inches?

Thanks!

I think, especially because of the trigger, is that you effectively take a duel against every Fireteam in range and line of sight, and the ones that lose suffer the effects of the action.  But I'm having a bit of a time finding an explanation for that mechanic in the rules.  (Apart from the line of sight limitation being in the Auras and Pulses rules.)

The rules for moving Fireteams is going to have a side effect that a unit with more fire teams in range is going to move a lot further (since if you move one fireteam X", all of the other fire teams in the unit move X/2".).  

Edit:  See the discussion in this later thread:

8 minutes ago, DocSchlock said:

I think he's asking "Can a Versatile Asset with two Actions on it take both actions every turn?" like Horomatangi's Tide Caller Asset.

I would say no, since it says " A Fireteam in this unit may take an Action listed on this card in addition to any other Actions it takes." My bolding.

Well, that I have to disagree with partially.

Versatile on that card seems to be giving you one of the two actions “for free”, and you could take the other as a standard action.

That’s Why Morphling has to go out of its way to say “may take an Action listed on a friendly non-Commmander Squad in play’s unit card.”  So that Morphlings don’t go around taking Actions on asset cards.  And why Mighty Willpower (on Horomatangi) says “take an Action printed on this card” for the main effect, but it has a “Take an Action printed on an Asset” trigger.

On 11/19/2018 at 12:22 PM, solkan said:

Well, that I have to disagree with partially.

We actually agree - I meant to imply the Versatile would count as both actions are available as "free" additional actions, in which case, my answer would stand.

I agree that you can use your normal Order action for other action on the card, the one you don't take from Versatile.

3 hours ago, DocSchlock said:

We actually agree - I meant to imply the Versatile would count as both actions are available as "free" additional actions, in which case, my answer would stand.

I agree that you can use your normal Order action for other action on the card, the one you don't take from Versatile.

Ah, okay.  I agree with what you’re saying then.