Endless Numbers: Squads syntax

Flib Jib

Question

So the Gibbering Hordes have the Allegiance ability 'Endless Hordes' that reads:

Endless Numbers: At the start of the Turn, you may discard a Tactics Token to Summon one friendly non-Commander Gibbering Hordes Squad that was Killed on the previous Turn. The Squad is Summoned in your Deployment Zone in base contact with any table edge (with no Assets). It may immediately move up to twice its Speed. You may Summon any number of Killed Squads in this way.

I am curious what, "Squad that was Killed on the previous Turn" is supposed to mean. Does it mean that an entire squad has to die on the previous turn in order to be eligible for summons or does it mean that when the last model in the last fire team of a Squad is killed then the next turn that entire squad is eligible to summon via Endless Numbers. I am pretty sure it is meant to be the second way but I am not sure. 

5 answers to this question

At the same time, there actually is a definition of killing a squad.  It's when the last fireteam is killed.  So your squad can go from round to round while wounded, and only actually be killed when the last fireteam is removed.

Next turn, they can come back due to endless numbers

Edited by Clement
I spell grate
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

7 hours ago, Thimblesage said:

On that note, what does “Removed from the game” mean?

page 33: ‘Killed’ call-out box

“— similarly, if every fire team in a unit is killed, the unit is killed and is remove from the game.”

So a Squad is a special unit type, (pg38) and if the last fireteam in a squad unit is removed, that unit should then be removed from the game correct?  

So how does this squad that died and was removed from the game now summoned?

See “Summon” on Page 57 of the rulebook.  “... it creates a new unit of the indicated name that is placed in the location specified...”  and you get one Fireteam of the unit, as specified.

It’s not the same unit, so you don’t keep Glory or any other state from the old unit.

Edit:  Do note that you can spend more than one tactics token and summon multiple units using the ability, but just one Summon per Killed unit.

This sentence “You may Summon any number of Killed Squads in this way.“ is there because English is Evil and without it it’s abiguous whether this sentence “At the start of the Turn, you may discard a Tactics Token to Summon one friendly non-Commander Gibbering Hordes Squad that was Killed on the previous Turn.” is saying you can do the thing once or more than once.

• Agree 1

20 minutes ago, Thimblesage said:

So the Gibbering Hordes have the Allegiance ability 'Endless Hordes' that reads:

I am curious what, "Squad that was Killed on the previous Turn" is supposed to mean. Does it mean that an entire squad has to die on the previous turn in order to be eligible for summons or does it mean that when the last model in the last fire team of a Squad is killed then the next turn that entire squad is eligible to summon via Endless Numbers. I am pretty sure it is meant to be the second way but I am not sure. 

A Squad is a unit type, which the rules for can be found on page 38. If the unit is still around, then it is not a Squad that was killed the previous turn.

On 11/13/2018 at 10:03 PM, Clement said:

At the same time, there actually is a definition of killing a squad.  It's when the last fireteam is killed.  So your squad can go from round to round while wounded, and only actually be killed when the last fireteam is removed.

Next turn, they can come back due to endless numbers

“— similarly, if every fire team in a unit is killed, the unit is killed and is remove from the game.”

So a Squad is a special unit type, (pg38) and if the last fireteam in a squad unit is removed, that unit should then be removed from the game correct?  

So how does this squad that died and was removed from the game now summoned? I think it’s to cycle gloried units so that a squad that was in glory that died and came back due to Endless Numbers is summoned in its ‘base’ form. But why make the text so dependent in its relationship? Why not, “ Endless Numbers: at the start of your turn, if a non-Commander Gibbering Hordes Squad was killed on the previous turn. You may discard a Tactics Token to summon a new squad of the same name as the squad that was killed.”

Am I missing something? Thoughts?

1 hour ago, Thimblesage said:

So how does this squad that died and was removed from the game now summoned? I think it’s to cycle gloried units so that a squad that was in glory that died and came back due to Endless Numbers is summoned in its ‘base’ form. But why make the text so dependent in its relationship? Why not, “ Endless Numbers: at the start of your turn, if a non-Commander Gibbering Hordes Squad was killed on the previous turn. You may discard a Tactics Token to summon a new squad of the same name as the squad that was killed.”

Am I missing something? Thoughts?

I think the wording is as convoluted as it is so that you cannot summon multiple copies of whatever squad died last turn.

Here's another wrinkle: the first section indicates that you can only use this ability once per turn, but the last section seems to indicate maybe multiple squads can come back the same turn?

Or is that last section some kind of awkward future proofing to allow this ability to be used over multiple turns.