Pitched Assault clarification

Clement

Question

I think we got this right, but I wanted to be sure...

The main method of scoring pitched assault is by killing stuff.   The *first* time each turn you kill an enemy fireteam, that is the one moment that you get to score for killing things.   Depending on how awesome that thing was that you killed, you earn a variable number of points (killed a single fireteam in the middle of nowhere, 1 point.   Killed an enemy commander within 6 inches of an objective marker, 4 points).

Either way, once you've had that scoring "event", you can't get another event that turn for meeting another condition.   So I kill an enemy striped skulker fireteam and score a VP for it (killing a fireteam).   Later that turn I kill the REST of the squad, one of whom was within 6 of an objective.  I do not get 2 more VP (for killing a unit and killing a fireteam near an objective).

Right?

4 answers to this question

Incorrect, each clause is counted separately. So in your example you'd score 1 VP when the Skulker Fireteam is killed, then later you'd score 1 VP for killing a Fireteam near an Objective Marker and 1 VP for killing the unit.

Otherwise, since everything is made of Fireteams, it'd be almost impossible to score more than 1 VP from kills each turn.

The really big point for Pitched Assault:  It doesn't matter who or how the thing was Killed, just that it was Killed.

If a Gibbering Hordes player kills one of his fire teams for Survival of the Fittest, that satisfies "An enemy Fireteam is Killed" for the other player.

I think there's going to be a lot of 5 by 4 grids used for this scenario.   Check each box as it happens, score up to 4VP each turn.

• Kill an enemy striped skulker fire team
    • 1 VP for "Enemy Fireteam is Killed"
  • Kill the rest of the squad, one of whom was within 6:ToS-Aura: of an Objective Marker
    • 1 VP for enemy unit killed
    • 1 VP for "enemy Fireteam Killed within 6:ToS-Aura: of Objective Marker"
    • No additional VP for "An enemy Fireteam is Killed" because that was already claimed.

and then if you manage to get a Kill on a Commander Unit or Titan unit later in the turn, you'd get VP #4 for that that turn.

26 minutes ago, retnab said:

Incorrect, each clause is counted separately. So in your example you'd score 1 VP when the Skulker Fireteam is killed, then later you'd score 1 VP for killing a Fireteam near an Objective Marker and 1 VP for killing the unit.

Otherwise, since everything is made of Fireteams, it'd be almost impossible to score more than 1 VP from kills each turn.

Eh, 2 was pretty simple to consistently score (kill a fireteam near a marker) and we managed to score 4 once (kill a commander near a marker.  That meets the requirements for fireteam+unit+commander+near marker all in one go.)

The first time each Turn one of these events occur, a Company scores 1 Victory Point. If multiple events happen at the same time, the Company scores 1 VP for each event. Each Company may score once in this way each Turn.

• An enemy Fireteam is Killed.
• An enemy unit is Killed.
• An enemy Commander unit or Titan unit is Killed.
• An enemy Fireteam was Killed within :ToS-Aura:6 of one or more Objective Markers.

That last "Each company may score once in this way each turn" is the part that makes me really unsure about how many points you can wring from this per turn.  If the meaning of this was that each of the 4 events scored independently, then that last line seems really unnecessary (the "first time each turn" part would surely handle that part of the logic).

44 minutes ago, Clement said:

If multiple events happen at the same time, the Company scores 1 VP for each event.

That's the important sentence concerning what you do if you kill an enemy Titan standing on an objective marker.  :)

44 minutes ago, Clement said:

That last "Each company may score once in this way each turn" is the part that makes me really unsure about how many points you can wring from this per turn.  If the meaning of this was that each of the 4 events scored independently, then that last line seems really unnecessary (the "first time each turn" part would surely handle that part of the logic).

Without the last sentence, Player 1 scoring for an event would prevent Player 2 scoring the event.  Or there'd be uncertainty whether both Player 1 and Player 2 could score for the same event, since it's an alternating activation turn structure.

In other words:

• Player 1 gets the event "Enemy Fireteam Killed"
  • a few things happen
  • Player 2 gets the event "Enemy Fireteam Killed"

The first sentence says that Player 1 gets to score.  The third sentence says that both Player 1 and Player 2 get to score.