Gibbering Spam

Siwy

It is probably also worth mentioning that it is not difficult to get units into combat turn 1.  Played my first game with Hordes last night and had the Alpha charging in with a 22" rush on turn 1.  And that was after the Frenzy shoved him up 9".  If the frenzy manage to push your entire list up 12" you could be charging with pretty much everything on turn 1.  Long story short...  If a player is diddling around in their back line generating tokens you can get in there and start interrupting it pretty darn quickly.

All that said it is still very possible that there are ways to break the game.  Maybe even this eel spam idea.

I played against Cult of the Burning Man last night. They can and will have models in your deployment zone at the top of Turn 1. During scouting when they place portals, they just need to have one near your deployment zone. During the first turn, they then walk a titan into one of their own portals (including the stalking portals), and that titan is in the middle of your area. Or that unit of Warped, or whatever else they were going to drop in there. Maybe and instead of or.

As was mentioned above: GH can be fast. They also have tricks for getting your stuff out of position and their own stuff into position. These combine nicely to increase threat ranges dramatically.

Earth forces can bring in reinforcements from your side of the table. Both Aby and KE have shooters that can threaten from deployment zone to deployment zone, and some of those shooters ignore cover or have other benefits going for them. Both Aby and KE have fast movers that are very good at removing single models or single fire teams that can threat across the board.

If your gimmick relies on you being left alone for the first turn, it's a fragile gimmick. Against less aggressive players it will look like a powerful engine. Against someone leveraging threat ranges, special rules, Stratagems, etc. that is playing aggressively, you'll find that it's not working out so well.

• Agree 1

You can pretty easily get The Frenzy or Horomatangi in your opponents backline on turn 1 or 2 in a 2 commander game. Give them Tidal Scepter (allows them to place in base contact with any tide pool as long as they started in base contact with another tide pool), and after they do what they're doing turn 1 (nipping at heels or shouting reinforcment tokens onto things, usually), have the Stormsiren go to Glory, and drop a tide pool on top of them (it can't be placed touching enemy fireteams, but that restriction doesn't apply to friendly fireteams). Next activation, they appear in base contact with a tide pool you placed further towards the opponents deployment zone during scouting.

If you skip first activating them before the Stormsiren dumps a tide pool on them, they can do it turn 1.

It telegraphs the attack, but with so many tide pools around when the Stormsiren is in play, the attack could come from anywhere.

• Like 1

Very glad that conversation started. 

It is obvious that mobility is name of the game. 

But my mainpoint is that if you make your normal list, you dont think about "omg i have to counter eel spam or im dead".

The game gives you propper countermeasures to deal with extremes. But is it so obvious must have? 

Does eel spam will become meta just at the start of the game?

7 hours ago, Siwy said:

But my mainpoint is that if you make your normal list, you dont think about "omg i have to counter eel spam or im dead".

The game gives you propper countermeasures to deal with extremes. But is it so obvious must have? 

Several of the counters suggested here seem to be in ways to play rather than a forced list to counter it, so it doesn't look like you are goin to get the extremes of all eels or none. And you can probably tell from crew construction that its eel spam, so you know that's what you need to deal with.

Have you tried playing /facing it yet?

My gut instinct is that its such a wacky list that is relatively easy to counter that its not going to gain enough Traction to need you to regularly use anti eel tricks,  but I've not yet got my stuff so I still don't really know how it all plays. That's not to say that its not going to show up, but I don't think its strong enough to win at events once people know how to play. But we shall see

• Agree 1

11 hours ago, Adran said:

Several of the counters suggested here seem to be in ways to play rather than a forced list to counter it, so it doesn't look like you are goin to get the extremes of all eels or none. And you can probably tell from crew construction that its eel spam, so you know that's what you need to deal with.

Exactly this. The only thing that I foresee happening if someone spams eels in my local meta is that people will adjust their playstyle for only that game and not worry about it otherwise. List construction won't change: it'll still involve balancing threat-objective play. What will change is stratagem priority and targeting priority.

Other GH players are still going to be surging across the table and pulling you out of position. BM players are still going to teleport around the battlefield causing problems from multiple angles. KE players are still going to have things shooting at you, things appearing behind your lines, and pieces like Belle doing their job. Aby players are still going to have things shooting at you, appearing behind your lines, and pieces like Marauders and Lord of Steel doing their job.

You might see an uptick in people looking for ways to deal with  tokens, but that's something they'll be doing to counter other crews as well. It's not a change to their play that will only work against eel crews. It'll help them a lot against BM's glory mechanic as well as being invaluable against everyone else's reinforcement/inspired shenanigans.

Read: they play a normal list, just more aggressively in response to the eel-spam gimmick being entirely passive during turn one.

• Thanks 2

On 11/19/2018 at 12:28 PM, Siwy said:

To be fair, it's the launch of the game. There's going to be a very rough period where a lot of things are 'overpowered' until people find ways to play around them.