Which Box is best for starting

acseric

I can get one of the following boxes, and I was wondering which is the best one for starting out.  I plan to acquire and paint figures leading up to 3e.  I know that the factions and cards will change, but I am looking to build my collection.

Sonnia Criid The Torch and the Blade Box

Lady Justice The Guild's Judgement Box Set

The Thunder Misaki Box Set

Lynch Dark Debts Box Set

Zoraida Swamp Hag Box Set

I am looking for the order in which you would buy these (if you were to get them all)

Personally I think Dark Debts and The Thunder are the best bets. Sonia and Lady Justice both have some shakeups between 2e and 3e lore wise so I expect some serious changes to their crews, and part of Lady J's might be Dead Man's Handed. If you're playing 10T both Lynch and Misaki have great applications in both editions. I actually like the Zoraida box set but it's probably for the best to wait and see if her models are a little more helpful to tie into her controlling themes in the 3e box set. I'd grab Sonia next after the 10T sets. Hope that helps!

1 hour ago, Thedeadclaw said:

Personally I think Dark Debts and The Thunder are the best bets. Sonia and Lady Justice both have some shakeups between 2e and 3e lore wise so I expect some serious changes to their crews, and part of Lady J's might be Dead Man's Handed. If you're playing 10T both Lynch and Misaki have great applications in both editions. I actually like the Zoraida box set but it's probably for the best to wait and see if her models are a little more helpful to tie into her controlling themes in the 3e box set. I'd grab Sonia next after the 10T sets. Hope that helps!

Why would part of lady js box be put to dead mans hand, what are you basing that off?

I was under the impression that that was for masters only?

I'm guessing the original guess of DMH was based on the story occurrence's to the judge, but we've been told else where that its a job title.

from an M3 point of view, Sonnia and Justice share a faction, and Misaki and Lynch share a faction, so there may be some advantages to picking one of those pairs to start with. Then again with the new keyword hiring that might be less relevant than it is now. (There may still be some model overlap, but its Likely to be less than you would have now).

From an M2 point of view the crew boxes don't have 50 ss in them so you would need to buy another box, so getting 2 boxes from the same faction will let you play 50 ss games. We don't know if that's true in M3.

Otherwise, pick the ones which you like the model, or like the idea behind. We don't know how they will play in the new edition, but the "Concept" is unlikely to change.

• Like 1

I saw Mason (I think) confirming that the Judge was dead for real in the lore so I'm surprised he isn't on the DMH list. Maybe the station will be taken over by someone else so the model stays relevant, I do believe "The Judge" is a title for an office so it seems reasonable that someone else fills the gap.

It's hard to speculate on which master boxes will change or not. Every model is getting new rules and themes will be more important so if the boxes stay the same then I would expect the models in them to be relevant to the master. If the double masters thing stays in M3e I would expect any combination of two masters from the same faction would easily allow you to field a 50ss list even if it might not be optimal.

For starting in M2e I would say that most of them work well for learning even if some choices in the box might not be optimal in high level play at the moment. I think Zoraida and Sonnia have the hardest time working with their box and would quickly lead you down the path of wanting to fill out with non-themed models.

1 hour ago, Gnomezilla said:

Nice to see people caring about the fate of some Guild henchmen. *sniffle* *wail* *cling to the nearest construct* *unfortunate resonance via the armor plating*

Wouldn't both your heroes be worse off if Hoffman had modded the carcass of his own brother and continued the charade after finding out the truth? He would have been a very different person in my eyes.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Ludvig said:

Wouldn't both your heroes be worse off if Hoffman had modded the carcass of his own brother and continued the charade after finding out the truth? He would have been a very different person in my eyes.

At this point I’m really surprised the Guild will let him decommission one of their better assets....

• Like 1

On 11/3/2018 at 10:25 PM, Gnomezilla said:

At this point I’m really surprised the Guild will let him decommission one of their better assets....

At this point isn’t Ryle sort of an Amalgamation Charter violation, especially since the blame for what happened can be placed on Ramos?  That’s not the sort of matter you want to keep parading around, especially with how close the matter is to Mr. Hoffman.

It’s the sort of thing that calls for a small, discreet funeral; a few days of personal leave; and a solemn but vague answers for anyone casually asking about “What ever happened to Ryle?” around the office.  

• Like 2

On 11/5/2018 at 7:22 AM, solkan said:

At this point isn’t Ryle sort of an Amalgamation Charter violation, especially since the blame for what happened can be placed on Ramos?  That’s not the sort of matter you want to keep parading around, especially with how close the matter is to Mr. Hoffman.

It’s the sort of thing that calls for a small, discreet funeral; a few days of personal leave; and a solemn but vague answers for anyone casually asking about “What ever happened to Ryle?” around the office.  

Yup, more or less.

And Hoffman's not the sort of person who just keep using Ryle after he learned what he learned.

• 1 month later...