Monthly Painting Challenge - November

Franchute

Hello,

Here is the thread for November of the monthly painting challenge. We should start thinking about how to replace me for next year. Who would like to run the 2019 challenge?

Please post your pictures, plans and discussions for the month of November here.

I'm also copy-pasting a reminder of the rules and the principles of the challenge:

The idea of the challenge is a motivational one. It is simply a friendly painting community---not a competition---that we use to find motivation to finish painting our Malifaux miniatures. You pledge an amount of soulstones that you will be painting each month of the year 2018. If you want to enroll for the challenge, it's too late because you would use too many mulligans.

I'll use the following spreadsheet to keep track of each one's situation: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1zYYugrSGk_4GTo8OjHjyfI_ruYWYOSnhy7U2ivbgfZ8/edit?usp=sharing

Some specific rules:

• Models count for the month in which you finish them. 
  • Everyone may fail to make their monthly goal twice and stay in the challenge.
  • You can choose to go down in the pledge hierarchy during the year, but you cannot move up.
  • You may choose to sign up during a later month for the challenge but this means that you'll have to use one or two of the aforementioned mulligans: e.g. if you start in February, one mulligan will already been used; if you start in March, two mulligans will already been used; you cant start in April.
  • Masters count for 15 soulstones
  • Zero cost models count for 5 soulstones
  • Terrain count too. Terrain must be painted and is treated like zero cost models (i.e. count for 5 soulstones). The piece of terrain must be significantly larger than a 50mm marker.

Caedrus, checking in!

November is "Finish stuff off!" month. I pledge to finish one, final Guardsman:
TzLJIrP.jpg

...and my stretch goals are an Austringer, Dashel, a Flesh Construct, Ice Dancers and December Acolytes!

DjEgy60.jpg

wv1tFyy.jpg

YBOzoHy.jpg

C0CmUUx.jpg

o03LFpY.jpg

Ha! If I finish these, there's always more mindless zombies.

Have a fantastic November, go crazy on the Black Friday sales, and keep putting pigment to plastic!

Caedrus.

• Like 4

So October was a crappy month for my Malifaux models, let's see if I can make it up in November. The models I'll try to paint will be the first guild models I paint (I'll finish the arcanists sometime in the future) and I'll be focusing on the Wild Ones and the Perdita crew. 

My pledge for this month is:

* Rollins dismounted (counts as McCabe dismounted): 15 SS

* Rollins Black (counts as McCabe on his bike): 15 SS

* Cherri Bomb (counts as Sidir Alchibal): 9 SS

* Iggy Pup (counts as Luna):  4 SS

for a total of 43 SS.

Only four models because Rollins Black consists of the riding McCabe plus his bike, and I'll try the MNM on every model so it will be time consuming. If I manage to finish them I'll start with Patti Ramone (a mounted guard), which has to be painted in parts because if I assemble it there will be lots of unreachable places (or reachable but quite problematic). 

Woo Hoo!

After a nice few hours painting, I've (once again) met my pledge early (I swear, I'm not setting this up!).

Behold!

pGwi1ic.jpg

My pledged guardsman is complete...

DUHhc2I.jpg

...so is a Crooligan...

(the bases are very basic; I'm awaiting 3E before I get too fancy in some cases)

QjQqDv0.jpg

...and Dashel continues to get painted! Consider this a very early WIP!

Enjoy your painting, November painters!

Caedrus.

• Like 4

Hello fellow challenge painters!  This month I am going to do Crockett and two pieces of terrain, one of which will go into Ramos' spider factory board.  I found an old metal swamp base with a stump that lines up very nicely with Crockett's axe.  I am going to try to suspend two halves of a split piece of wood to either side---wish me luck.

large.2018Nov_Crockett_terrain_pledge.jpg.88e4d84b59581bf7fc597392b4c68b69.jpg

• Like 2

8 hours ago, PetitDalek said:

Could you post a picture of the back too, pretty please? I have this model waiting and I have trouble fitting the bottom piece of the coat to her body.

Sure, here it is: 

pandorawipback.jpg

The cloth doesn't fit that well so I resculpted part of the belt with GS. Not perfect by far but close enough for me ;)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Caedrus, checking in, for a WIP update!

So, I managed to ignore the things I should be doing, and instead painted my Dashel conversion!

ekKMybN.jpg

g0Oguny.jpg

I'm actually quite pleased with how this turned out. Quite pleased with the cloak, face, and growing NMM skills on the axe and lamp-post.

As always, of course, critiques and commentary are very welcome!

Oh, and @Franchute: I'm loving that Phillip; particular kudos for the cold-white linen around the pram. Just perfect.

Keep putting pigment to plastic!

Caedrus.

• Like 9

Coming in late for the month, but such is the holidays.

large.20181110_162619.jpg.bdc5885dc7c2f689e2d3c5299b068bb9.jpg

Arcanist half of Backdraft is in progress and the first on the list. Then the Undying box, Asura, and a box of zombies for a friend. Gremlin half of Backdraft to round out my Brew crew. Realistically, I'm hoping to have these done by the end of the year.

• Like 4

Here is what I'm hoping to finish this month...a bunch of buildings sitting untouched for too long.

So far all I managed is a base coat (this was actually done last month). If these do get completed then I'll aim for some colour on the backdraft arcanists.

Next year I'm dropping to the easiest pledhe level and stealing the idea of doing the pledge of just one model a month with stretch goals. That seems to be the best idea with my varying amount of time each month for me I think.

IMG-20181001-120126.jpg

• Like 3

50 minutes ago, Boomstick said:

Hypothetical: if anyone wants to submit The Other Side models, how do we want to count them? They have a cost, but it's per unit, which tends to be 6-9 models (across 2-3 bases) except for a few single model units, like commanders.

I dont know. Dont you want to keep them for next year challenge? :) 

• 2 weeks later...

Hey there! Here's an update of my models. The standing McCabe is finished and waiting only for the base. With the ridiing McCabe I've met an issue with the pinning of the model; I painted the bike and the rider separately, but when I was removing the pin from the rider it broke and it left a little piece which now doesn't let me gluing the model correctly, its legs don't reach the proper point in the bike -_-.

The picture is a bit blurry but it was done quite fast just to show you I'm still participating! In any case, here's a picture of the model, once I fix it and base it I'll post more pictures.

McCabe.jpg

• Like 7

1 hour ago, bedjy said:

yes, that is helpful ! Will only have to include those TOS models in the SS calculation.

Do you mean you want to be in charge?

By the way, I love these warders. You really took them seriously: the combination of colors is nice, the free hand, the osl... 👍🏻

I am right there with you, @wobbly_goggy .  I finally got my second Necromunda crew assembled (Van Saar) and now am scrambling to finish up my November pledge.  The thanksgiving holiday here allowed me to knock out my two terrain pieces for 10 SS so far.  Still have Paul Crockett to finish up this week.  

large.2018Nov_Ramos_office_supplies_done.jpg.28a1d153d0cbd2ff962ab1f327ddc179.jpg

• Like 5