Waldo's Weekly - Movement in M3E

Kyle

31 minutes ago, katadder said:

However you can walk within melee range to change position (or to move closer if engaged but not in your range) so therefore you gain the place effects of flight, thus being able to place out of melee.

At least from a rules lawyering point of view, so I would suggest something in the flight text that disallows this: if already engaged flight does not come into play; or something along those lines

The walk action will have to have changed somewhat to create the space for a disengage action. We don't know how it has changed, or what the disengage action is so its hard to rules lawyer at the moment. If flight did this in now, then it wouldn't avoid disengaging strikes.

41 minutes ago, Adran said:

The walk action will have to have changed somewhat to create the space for a disengage action. We don't know how it has changed, or what the disengage action is so its hard to rules lawyer at the moment. If flight did this in now, then it wouldn't avoid disengaging strikes.

walk doesnt need to change to have disengage as walk is still walk, but disengage is a way to move away from the enemy, you wouldnt disengage to move closer so you can hit them.

and if flight was placing now it would avoid disengages as its a place, which cannot be stopped by disengages

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, katadder said:

walk doesnt need to change to have disengage as walk is still walk, but disengage is a way to move away from the enemy, you wouldnt disengage to move closer so you can hit them.

and if flight was placing now it would avoid disengages as its a place, which cannot be stopped by disengages

Something in the rules would need to change to stop you leaving engagement during a walk action. Because at the moment you can. I'm assuming since there is a disengage action in M3 you can't (otherwise what is the purpose of the disengage action?)

And the current rules would allow you to take a disengaging strike once they declare they are taking a Walk action that will leave your range. If that Walk action involved a placement effect (like the new flight) it doesn't matter because the strike stops the action dead before you even get to try and use it so the manner you leave by doesn't matter. It will only work on walk actions currently. An M2E disengaging strike can stop placements, but only if those placements are part of a walk action because you are only allowed to declare a disengaging strike in response to a walk action. ( I can't think of a model that can place as part of a walk action in M2E so that's never going to come up).

But since we don't know how the rules have changed this is lots of conjecture that probably won't matter.

10 minutes ago, Bengt said:

Well we know what Walk and Disengage looked like at GenCon: 

Cheers, I'd forgot that. Although just below that is an upgrade that gives flight, and that looks like old flight, so who knows...

So If a Walk action can't leave a models engagement, then you can't fly out of its engagement range as a walk action. Because you can't leave its engagement range on a walk action, and placing somewhere outside that range would be leaving it.

Place: Place work more or less in the same way as M2E. When a model is placed somewhere, you just pick it up and put it in the appropriate space.

It’s also worth noting that “completely within” has been removed from the rulebook as a game term (save for during deployment, when models have to deploy completely within their Deployment Zones), which means that players will have one less term to remember during the game.

The most common source of Place effects in M3E is the Flight Ability:

Flight: When this model declares the Walk or Charge Action, instead of moving normally, this model may Place itself within X", where X is equal to this model's Mv. This model does not suffer Falling damage.

So in melee, declare a walk action (as you can if you want to move somewhere else) but then get to place instead of moving normally.

The Walk Action cannot be used to leave an enemy model's engagement range.

Also it can if you have incorporeal so there are exceptions, which with flight being a place may be a question that arises.

Its just something to consider, I know how its intended to work however I have seen so much RAW vs RAI debates on here and forums and why not catch it before the rules go to print rather than have to FAQ it later?

23 minutes ago, Mason said:

Incorporeal does not allow a model to use the Walk Action to leave an enemy model's engagement range.

1 hour ago, Mason said:

my bad, but still I think a valid point that could come up in FAQs, yes you may not be able to do it as intended but with flight being a place I can guarantee you will see the question asked by new people.