Nef

Iron Painter 2018 - Round Three Results

As always I want to begin by thanking everyone for their participation!  There have been plenty of awesome, eye-catching pieces to be had last round.  We have posted only the results in this thread.  The Round Four Announcement can be found here: https://themostexcellentandawesomeforumever-wyrd.com/topic/141052-iron-painter-2018-round-four-announcement/

The scores for the Gold and Silver tier are posted using this format Name, Average (Judge 1, Judge 2, Judge 3)

GOLD TIER

The gold tier was full of some monstrously magnificent works! But after all the mashing was done, only one could stand as the ultimate monster.  I am going to remind people of the head to heads, and list the winner next to it, as well as provide the bracket with new pairings.  A reminder that the people who lose in gold, will be put into the silver bracket to continue competing.

Icatsai, 16 (18, 17, 13) vs Rzaba 19.33 (19, 21, 18) > Rzaba Wins!

Whirler, 19.33 (21, 20, 17) vs Sleepwalker, 17.33 (17, 17, 18) > Whirler Wins!

ConqueringWyrm, 19 (20, 23, 14) vs Dirty, 11.67 (14, 11, 10) > ConqueringWyrm Wins!

Radamset, 12 (13, 13, 10) vs Nathillien, 15.33 (16, 17, 13) > Nathillien Wins! 

Silver Tier

The Silver tier had some spectacularly spooky works!  Some of these monstrously good painters will continue on in silvers while others will be pushed out. But remember that even those who lose this round will continue to duke it out in bronze!  Below are the results.

Bozydar, 17.67 (18, 19, 16) vs SallyFN, 16.67 (17, 20, 13) > Bozydar Wins!

Gos, 13.33 (13, 14, 13) vs Darklord, 15.67 (16, 20, 11) > Darklord Wins!

Ynysley, 13.67 (17, 17, 7) vs Zanna 14.33 (15, 15, 13) > Zanna Wins!

Nikita 10.67 (12, 14, 6) vs LadyDraco, 16 (16, 19, 13) > LadyDraco Wins!

helldrad, 13.67 (15, 16, 10) vs Darthslider 11.33 (14, 12, 8 )  > Helldrad Wins!

Corrgon, 13.67 (16, 13, 12) vs Colour Charge, 14.67 (17, 17, 10) > ColourCharge Wins!

Guslado, 15.33 (18, 17, 11) vs ArD, 11 (12, 14, 7) > Guslado Wins!

Ayvran, 13.33 (15, 17, 8 ) vs Glamage 12.33 (13, 11, 13) > Ayvran Wins! 

Bronze Tier

The Bronze tier impressed us with their eerie entries!  Duking it out for a better chance at the raffle, they showed how much they still want to win.  A reminder that if you lose in bronze, you are eliminated but should STILL continue to submit works.  If you do not complete every round, you will not be eligible for the raffle.  

Arclight vs Stonewall78 > Arclight Wins!

Annanas vs Senya1987 > Senya1987 Wins!

prosefeorn vs Sweeps > Sweeps Wins!

domperignome vs cbtb11234813 > Domperignome Wins!

Masskit vs Reagen Helms > Masskit Wins! 

Natsugawa vs Dmitry > Natsugawa Wins!

bas_2312 vs PranicAttack > Bas_2312 Wins!

Vo1demra vs generalbear > Generalbear Wins!

Thimblesage vs Remx61 > Thimbelsage Wins! 

Fateweaver vs Mrcoblin > Fateweaver Wins!

Euclid vs lusciousmccabe > Euclid Wins! 

Gaspard vs ReservoirDog > ReservoirDog Wins! 

Malvain vs Dionysus > Malvain Wins! 

A quick reminder that even if you lost in bronze, you can and should still participate by submitting a miniature for every round in order to be eligible for the raffle at the end!

• Like 2

Congratulations @rzaba I’m happy I went out to a fantastic piece. If you can do that in 5 hours then I’d love to see what you manage in 2weeks! Good luck for the rest of the competition 

• Thanks 1

comisserations Gos, was great to battle you.

Congratulations to every winner. I must say though I am quite puzzled by one of the judges. Seems to give almost everyone really harsh scores yet really high for the odd one that doesnt always seem to do much with the theme. (this isnt about my own scores, just a general thing!)

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Darklord said:

Congratulations to every winner. I must say though I am quite puzzled by one of the judges.

Now that you pointed it out I looked over the scores some more (keep in mind I have nothing to do with either of the judged categories). If all the scores are in the same order of judges for each score the 3rd one sure seems to be all over the place.
This one stood out the most:

A 10 point difference in score? It seems like someone is putting way to much personal taste into their score rather than using the scoring criteria

This one proves the point once more:

ConqueringWyrm, 19 (20, 23, 14) vs Dirty, 11.67 (14, 11, 10) > ConqueringWyrm Wins!

Now I am not usually one to question judges but it sure seems odd this year.

• Agree 1

4 minutes ago, Stonewall78 said:

Now that you pointed it out I looked over the scores some more (keep in mind I have nothing to do with either of the judged categories). If all the scores are in the same order of judges for each score the 3rd one sure seems to be all over the place.

A 10 point difference in score? It seems like someone is putting way to much personal taste into their score rather than using the scoring criteria

it wasnt until after I wrote it that I realised I had one judge scoring me almost half what another did (11 v20). Now I thought I did pretty decent on theme which is supposedly worth up to 10 points so either I REALLY missed the theme in their eyes or I basically only undercoated it!!

BTW @Kai my average score should be 1 point less

• Agree 1

7 minutes ago, Stonewall78 said:

7 out of 25 looks kinda low. Was it 2+3+2? Really weird. Also the difference. The 3rd judge thinks that this 2 submission differs only by 4 points, while 2nd judge difference was 12. Okaaay...

Comparing them myself I think I need to work on my technique - particularly color blending and detail work (my faces are pretty poor) in comparison to Zanna's. I thought I hit the theme quite well though.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, DarthSlider said:

7 out of 25 looks kinda low. Was it 2+3+2? Really weird. Also the difference. The 3rd judge thinks that this 2 submission differs only by 4 points, while 2nd judge difference was 12. Okaaay...

Exactly, I am usually not one to stir the pot but one judge needs to be reminded of the voting criteria.

• Agree 1

58 minutes ago, DarthSlider said:

@helldradGood job, sir! Now you should win in the silver because losing to a champion wouldn't be a shame to me :D 

@ConqueringWyrm Same to you :) Good job and I wish you to win this year!

thanks my friend !

Will try to save your honor , but the fourth theme leaves me a bit skeptical... not sure to produce some very glorious things...

12 hours ago, Stonewall78 said:

In defense of judge #3 I have to say I think I understand where he's coming from. If you look closely at Ynysley's submission you can see the mold lines clearly and the painting is rather sloppy (no offense). I'm not saying a 7 is justified, just that I can understand what irked the judge with this particular piece.

On the other hand judge #2 gave ConqueringWyrm a score of 23 which is almost maximum and in my humble opinion a little too highly rated, strangley nobody seems to notice when scores seem to deflect in the other direction. It's a beautifully painted piece with a nice overall feel to it, but does it nail the theme? For me, it doesn't (again, no offense).

36 minutes ago, gypsy said:

In defense of judge #3 I have to say I think I understand where he's coming from. If you look closely at Ynysley's submission you can see the mold lines clearly and the painting is rather sloppy (no offense). I'm not saying a 7 is justified, just that I can understand what irked the judge with this particular piece.

On the other hand judge #2 gave ConqueringWyrm a score of 23 which is almost maximum and in my humble opinion a little too highly rated, strangley nobody seems to notice when scores seem to deflect in the other direction. It's a beautifully painted piece with a nice overall feel to it, but does it nail the theme? For me, it doesn't (again, no offense).

We have criteria for judging. I just surprised (to say at least) that scores are so different with the same criteria. Ok, there are many subjective aspects of judging, but it looks like too many to me. I don't care about scores itself, but I really worried about the difference between scores.