What To Do While Waiting for ME3?

EricR

I’ve only gotten into Malifaux since March of this year.  I started with LadyJ and added a few models.  I’ve also painted up single master crews for my wife (Collette and Lilith), plus a crew for a friend (Parker).  I’d really like to expand into a few other masters, and with ME3, we’ve already gotten caught with one dead man’s hand master.  I really would like to do Luicus, but it seems his basic crew will be different than the ME2 box set.

So any thoughts on other models to get to just paint?  (I have Death Marshal Recurters, hounds and Augstringers all in paint and based).  

Thanks!

I'm in a similar boat.  Well, I've owned a Hoffman crew since 2012, and a Ramos crew to supplement that from about 2014, but I never played my first game until March this year!  Obviously Ramos will be DMH (as is Ryle 😪), but Hoffman will be dual-faction so I'm not worrying about it.  I figure the time is right to go all-in based on what I know (but I'm a bit obsessive when it comes to collecting, so take any advice with a pinch of salt!).  Since the M3E announcement, there has been several bargain bundles on eBay.  I decided to double-down on Guild and am now the proud owner of Perdita, Lucius and Lady Justice crews in addition to Hoffman, and have several other models from the faction to supplement whichever I decide to play with.  I also got my hands on a well-painted Lucas McCabe crew, but he will sadly not be Guild in M3E (but does give me an in with Ten Thunders once I've completed my Guild collection).

I aim to get as many of the current Guild releases as possible before M3E hits, then I'll have crews for all the Guild Masters (because Nellie and Sonnia are next on the list!) at a much cheaper price than if I would have paid for them at full retail.  I'll even have a Dashel crew, but I imagine I'll want some more Guild Guards to supplement him!

Now I just need to actually get some more games in!

• Like 3

The Ortegas are a stong theme and I can't imagine them losing any of their models. They might not seem super fun to paint in their regular scheme but google "malifaux dia de los muertos" and enjoy.

I also loved painting Sonnia and I've seen a lot of super nice paintjobs of her, all the fire is very satisfying to paint.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Ludvig said:

The Ortegas are a stong theme and I can't imagine them losing any of their models. They might not seem super fun to paint in their regular scheme but google "malifaux dia de los muertos" and enjoy.

I also loved painting Sonnia and I've seen a lot of super nice paintjobs of her, all the fire is very satisfying to paint.

Yeah, my painting skills aren't up to that!  I do like painting fire though.  And looking at fire.  And setting fires....

• Haha 1

45 minutes ago, theamazingmrg said:

Yeah, my painting skills aren't up to that!  I do like painting fire though.  And looking at fire.  And setting fires....

And you didn’t start with Sonnia why? 😂

I have doubled down on purchasing in-theme, and a model had to be VERY beautiful to be purchased otherwise. The domadores are lovely enough that I don’t care if they end up attached to a crew I dislike. (And the hat with candles attached was a unified piece, take that, doubters! the kit was unbelievably at the intersection of gorgeous sculpts and reasonable assembly)

There is the legitimate view that buying another master is a gamble. But having several masters in a faction should mean you have a decent chance to use the models. And you can probably correctly guess the themes for 70% of a faction, so you could  work that way.

There was an earlier thread that talked about the perceived value in the current Lucius box because you'll get 2 masters, but there is the risk you'll want to get the new Lucius and/or Dashel box, so it is up to you.

Dead mans Hand masters are getting rules, so they will still be playable crews, but I can certainly see why you might not want to buy non master neverborn purchases because you might not get to use them.

If you're getting models to paint, then picking something you want to paint is probably highest. It is likely that if you buy a guild or an arcanist model you would still be able to hire them with the crew you have, just with the out of keyword tax, so whilst it is a risk, its not all that huge.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Gnomezilla said:

And you didn’t start with Sonnia why? 😂

I picked up my first box when  a shop was closing down so the selection was limited and I chose the robots.  I think my other choice was McMourning and I'm not a fan of the Undead.  Sonnia is definitely next on the list though!  I've already got some cheap Witchling Handlers in preparation!

5 hours ago, Ludvig said:

Sounds like you have your next master cut out for you then. :D The witch hunter theme is also pretty kept together, the only models that I would fear of losing to another keyword in m3e are the starter models.

Definitely.  There's a Sonnia crew on sale now that I'm keeping an eye on - another bargain for the collection!

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Ludvig said:

Sounds like you have your next master cut out for you then. :D The witch hunter theme is also pretty kept together, the only models that I would fear of losing to another keyword in m3e are the starter models.

The starter models have their own Keywords. Plus, they're Versatile.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Just grabbed Ferdinand Vogel, as the model(s) just look cool.  If they don’t fit with ME3 (might be a connection to Lucius with mimic keyword), they could find their way into a static display.

I like the Dias de las Muertos look on the Ortega’s, I’m keeping that option open as starter box ME2 prices continue to be discounted on Ebay, and the Domadores de Cadaveres are a must buy if for nothing more than the painting!

Thanks for all the suggestions!

• Like 1

On 10/24/2018 at 5:26 PM, EricR said:

Just grabbed Ferdinand Vogel, as the model(s) just look cool.  If they don’t fit with ME3 (might be a connection to Lucius with mimic keyword), they could find their way into a static display.

This! This is the only sane reason for buying little plastic dolls - Vogel is the reason, I’ve convinced myself to get Lucius (that, and the lawyers and Lucius, and the scribe).

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Buying the current Lucius box wouldn't be bad. It will give you two Masters since Daschel is now a Master. It will also give you models that work with each Master. While I can't speak about how good Lucius is in 3e, I can tell you Daschel is awesome. He's a summoner, which was something Guild sorely lacked last edition. 

On 1/18/2019 at 12:04 PM, LunarSol said:

The only problem with the Lucius box is its the one most certainly in line to be replaced with 2 new boxes; likely with exclusive models.  Dashel will be getting his own box eventually with his Totem and Lucius is likely to get a new box with a new Henchmen at least.

Yes, and while the new sculpts will probably be better, it doesn't mean the old sculpts can't be used in game. Chances are you can probably find the 2e sculpts cheaper than the new ones will be anyway. Alternatively, you will probably get more in Keyword models if you wait. 

2 hours ago, Irritated Walrus said:

Yes, and while the new sculpts will probably be better, it doesn't mean the old sculpts can't be used in game. Chances are you can probably find the 2e sculpts cheaper than the new ones will be anyway. Alternatively, you will probably get more in Keyword models if you wait. 

It depends on how much you like multiples. It is likely that one or both of Lucius new henchmen as well as his new minions will only be sold in his boxed set. Not sure if Dashel is getting new guardsman models but if he does the same will probably be true there so you risk ending up with every model in the current Lucius box just being a duplicate of models you have new sculpts for.

On 1/22/2019 at 9:15 AM, Irritated Walrus said:

I'm not super fond of Dashel's new art and the model will likely follow.  There's nothing exactly wrong with it, but I really like his current shouting orders look.  

55 minutes ago, LunarSol said:

I'm not super fond of Dashel's new art and the model will likely follow.  There's nothing exactly wrong with it, but I really like his current shouting orders look.  

I feel like the current model is great due to what you described above, That being said, I am fond of the new art as well.