Zolledine

Question

Hey there,

some questions after my fourth play...

1. Does „Knowing Wind....“ always work? Just by standing next to Shenlong one is protected?

2. Why should I pick up the Burning or Poison condition? Is there any advantage?

3. Can I spawn Peasants „endlessly“? As long as one is alive to use Miracle?

4. What is the limit to Defence etc. if I choose Flow like water?

5. Can I choose upgrades through Monk of many styles up to the limit of three? So start with none and boost during the game?

Thx for your help!

7 answers to this question

39 minutes ago, Zolledine said:

1. Does „Knowing Wind....“ always work? Just by standing next to Shenlong one is protected?

2. Why should I pick up the Burning or Poison condition? Is there any advantage?

3. Can I spawn Peasants „endlessly“? As long as one is alive to use Miracle?

4. What is the limit to Defence etc. if I choose Flow like water?

5. Can I choose upgrades through Monk of many styles up to the limit of three? So start with none and boost during the game?

1. If you're within 6'' and line of sight of Shenlong, you can take Focus and Defensive Stance actions as (0), rather than (1) as normal. There's no passive benefit from standing next to Shenlong.

2. Read "Fermented River Style" and "High River Style" upgrades. They make use of poison and burning conditions.

3. They're rare 2, so you can only ever have two on the table. No other limit though, so you can endlessly summon peasants provided you get one of them killed to make room for another one.

4. I don't quite understand this question. There's no limit to how much Defensive condition you can have on you. Flow Like Water doesn't impact that in any way.

5. (0) Monk of Many Styles lets you discard one of your 'Limited' upgrades to enable you to attach another one. Only 'Limited' upgrades available to Shenlong are the various "River Style" upgrades. 'Limited' means you can only have one of them at any one time. Basically how Shenlong works is you buy one of those upgrades in the crew building stage, then during the game you can use your (0) action to swap them around depending on what you need to do.

• Like 1

For question #4...  There isn’t a limit to how high a model can get their Defensive Condition, but there are limits to how many cards you can flip for a duel.  The maximum number of cards you can flip in a duel is four, meaning that anything beyond a net three positive flips is excess effort, so unless you’re dealing with specific negative effects Defensive above +3 is the same as Defensive +3.

In my experience, at least, negative fate modifiers for the Defender in a duel aren’t common.

Edit:  And, for what it’s worth, the additional benefits of additional positive flips diminish pretty rapidly after the first positive, unless you’re trying to fish for suits to get a trigger.

29 minutes ago, Zolledine said:

Thank you guys so much!

One question though about 5: do I have to pay for the upgrades in SS?

Price for each upgrade is listed on its card. You need to pay the SS cost when building your crew, but if you get new upgrades during the game (like from Monk of Many Styles) you don't pay any SS for those.

22 hours ago, Zolledine said:

Thank you guys so much!

One question though about 5: do I have to pay for the upgrades in SS?

Summoning new things during a game, be it upgrades or models, does not require you to spend your starting soulstones on the new summons.

You may need to have spent them on something you need to start it off (such as the first Peasant, or a limited upgrade on Shenlong) or on the action that summons it, but you don't need to "buy" what you are going to summon in crew creation

28 minutes ago, Zolledine said:

One last question though - this Monk of many Ability doesn't get me new Upgrades into play. I can only swap them to other figures, right? And: can I attach them to ANY model - no restrictions?

The ability lets Shenlong discard 1 limited upgrade from himself and attach another limited upgrade to himself (discarding any other copies of it you have in play). It doesn't let you put upgrades on anyone else.

If you have Sensi yu with his upgrade he is allowed to attach the upgrade that Shenlong discards, but that's not this action, its just a side effect of this action.