Unclear on Book Importance

athalos_gallant

3 minutes ago, Thedeadclaw said:

IIRC Fated Almanac and Fatemaster's Almanac were the first edition versions of the Core rulebook for second edition and everyone just needs the core book and any expansions you're using now.

This is correct. 2e Core book replaces the Fated and Fatemaster Almanacs both in one book with updated rules and clarifications. 

19 hours ago, athalos_gallant said:

Brand new to TTB here, and I'm wondering if I need the Fatemaster's Almanac in addition to the 2nd Ed. Core Rules, or if everything is covered in said Core Rules? Thanks!

Nope, and there is no reason even in first ed to buy the FMA. 1e is dead long live 2e. (seriously huge improvements) 

The FMA didnt do much if anything to provide good tools for the fate master.

• Like 1

On 10/10/2018 at 4:21 PM, athalos_gallant said:

Brand new to TTB here, and I'm wondering if I need the Fatemaster's Almanac in addition to the 2nd Ed. Core Rules, or if everything is covered in said Core Rules? Thanks!

I know you didn't ask, but just in case you decide to get some of the other books...

Into the Steam, Into the Bayou, and Under Quarantine (and most of the adventures from what I can tell) were written during 1e. They're still compatible with 2e, but you might run into stuff that doesn't quite mesh, like a skill that's no longer around, or a talent that was updated in the core book.

The most current FAQ mentions which talents were updated, I believe, and I think the core book mentions which skills were retired.

On 10/12/2018 at 6:11 AM, Merchant said:

Nope, and there is no reason even in first ed to buy the FMA. 1e is dead long live 2e. (seriously huge improvements) 

The FMA didnt do much if anything to provide good tools for the fate master.

Out of curiosity, what are the major differences between 1st and 2nd ed.? I've got both and played a campaign of first but only just picked up 2nd and haven't been able to digest the differences yet.

The “Let Me Show You” general talent from Into the Steam, and the “Specialized Toxins” general talent from Under Quarantine has been replaced by updated versions in the 2e core rule book.

The Sychophant general talent from Into the Steam has been updated in the errata.

All of the magical theories from all books except Above the Law has been replaced completely with the ones in the 2e core rule book.

13 hours ago, Reynastus said:

Out of curiosity, what are the major differences between 1st and 2nd ed.? I've got both and played a campaign of first but only just picked up 2nd and haven't been able to digest the differences yet.

lot's a of little stuff. tweaks to the combat rules. updated base classes, added/removed some skills. skill trigger tweaked and added as a core rule. soul stone use changed. Added a really really good NPC/monster section  and a huge section on setting lore. Just to name a few things.