Pandora in M3E

edopersichetti

Hi fellow Neverborners!

I'm trying to figure out how the faction will evolve in M3E and I've seen the other post, but I'm in particular concerned about Pandora so I decided to write its own post about her. 

It looks like Wyrd is trying to shift back (as seems the case for most masters) to her original focus, the Mood Swings. That's all good with me, it was a system that really wasn't working very well and it'd be nice to see it function properly. However, what is gonna happen to Misery? From the little excerpt on the Wyrd website it reads "...the Misery ability, which damages enemy models who Cheat Fate within its aura".

So now instead of taking damage for losing Wp duels, the damage happens when cheating fate. This is an interesting change, but feels like a de-powering (again, as it seems the case for most masters) since normally the opponent is only going to cheat fate up to 6 times (= number of cards in hand). Maybe not even all of those times he's going to be next to Pandora (or whoever else has Misery, I assume at least Sorrows). M2E Pandora and her crew could generate many more Wp duels than that, and Misery had the potential to be truly a weapon for inflicting damage. Now this ability seems less useful.

Also, will the damage still "stack" as before (it didn't really stack, but was 1 per source) ? Otherwise, from "less useful" Misery will become "pretty useless". So, the opponent can occasionally take a single damage when cheating next to Misery models? It seems a pretty marginal effect...most of the times, opponent will not even care...

As we know, Paralyze is gone and its replacements are much watered down. For example Distracted only gives :-flipin one direction (when targeting enemy models, but not when targeted by) and slowly ticks away...whereas Pandora used to be able to give full-fledged :-flipto enemy models. So am I right to be concerned about Pandora being overall quite weakened in M3E?

• Like 1
  • Respectfully Disagree 1

Not really the appropriate question, in my opinion. Power levels are determined by the the average of used models. Everything is changing in 3e, so until we know what the majority of used models are there is no way to know if the changes to her deposed her or not. For example in a totally unrealistic sense, if everything else had the average attack and df of 2 and her attack stat was 5, even if it was less than it was in 2e it’s still more powerful compartItively in 3e. Worrying about the changes and feeling like they are disempowering without seeing the rest of the changes in total really isn’t useful I feel. Especially since you don’t know what her other abilities or attacks are going to be.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

Sure, but I mean, in comparison the ability is definitely weaker. And yes I do believe that there will be a general leveling down towards less damage, shorter engagement ranges etc. but in fact this is one of my main concerns.

For sure we will have to see what her other abilities and attacks are, but I feel since many of the things that defined her are going away (negative modifiers, paralyze, Wp duels etc.) she's running out of options pretty quickly...at the very least, she'll be something very different from what we were used to.

This wait is excruciating.

Did you ever Play 1st ed Pandora? She was a totally different beast to 2nd Ed Pandora (A much worse experience to face in my opinion) but they still had the same feel on the table (even though they did different things) so whilst Pandora might not do the same things as she did before, I would expect her to have a similar feel. After all she managed to survive when she could no longer bring a chain of sorrows with her for free to do all that misery damage

• Like 1

On 10/16/2018 at 4:54 PM, cbtb11235813 said:

Lots of things are changing in 3e. Agonizing over one particular change mentioned in a blurb without any context as to the rest of the game isn't particularly effective. There is a large group of people in the beta all working very hard to make sure everyone, including Pandora, is balanced  

...hopefully she's also fun to play!