SaveVersus

How to use different Tarot Pulls?

Hi,

I just got Into the Steam and I noticed that the Assembly Line Tarot has Allegiance as one of the pulls.

Say one of my players wanted to be an Invested right from the beginning, does that mean everyone has to use the Assembly Line? I didn't see anything in the Core Book 2.0 Tarot to indicate an allegiance (Stations don't really point you in that sort of direction), and it seems a little odd that one player would already have a direct connection to a faction before any of the other characters. It also looks like I can't do any fresh off the train scenarios if I wanted to be fair either. Even if the factions made those sort of connections earthside, it seems like I'd have to give everyone that option to choose an allegiance.

Different characters can use different tarots if you want them to come from different backgrounds.

Things like the Assembly Line tarot in Into the Steam are set up to produce backgrounds tailored to a certain aspect of the game.  It’s sort of like in other settings where a single player might play a spy and end up with a bunch of background connections and obligations not shared with the rest of the group.  If you don’t want those aspects, then you’d be just fine having everyone use the main book tarot.

• Like 1

Thanks for the reply.

My other thought was to have everyone use the Cross Roads Tarot, remind the one player that he needs to have :ToS-Tome: in his Body, and give him the two replacement cards just to make sure that happens.

Has anyone experimented with drawing the cards and letting the player place them where he wants, either before looking at the table and after?

Honestly, I don't think it's worth it all to let the players move their cards around.  If you were tempted to do that sort of thing, you'd be better off going through the tarot rows and tweaking the skill value distributions so that they all end up about nearly the same amount of XP.  Otherwise you're just going to have players trying to maximize their attributes and skill ranks by shuffling cards around.

On the other hand, I'm pretty sure that if a player really wants a specific character, like an Invested, that it doesn't take much more than agreeing to bring snacks for the gaming group.  :) 

For the few games I've run, I let my players draw tarot for up to 3 characters, and depending on the type of character they want to play, they then pick one with the stats/background they most like. That way it's still randomized but allows a bit more flexibility, especially if you want an Invested to get that Tome where needed.