Etiquette on basing

gonica

I have a wide range of base inserts, and have never seen any problems. I've got a tree on one of my Skeetars bases as about the only way to get it to look right on a 30mm base, and the side of a building on another to give suitable contact points.

I based a load of Gremlins on Walkways over a swamp, and am now regretting it, as it stops them fitting in the smaller foam holes, but that's just a transport issue.

I've also seen a great Kirai team where they are based on a raised stage with some mopdles above it, and others below when its arranged.

So  in short, go for what you like. There may be a few issues based on moving it around the table, but at the moment overhangs, bridges and multiple levels of building are not all that common, but something you may want to consider for future proofing.

• 2 months later...
22 minutes ago, dope_danny said:

Depends on your locals really. The 2e rulebook lists judging line of site and cover using the height of the model on the card but some people take a more literal approach and you can't hide your lord chompy bits behind a collapsing wall if hes standing atop a ruined statue or something taller than the cover.

Are the "some people" planning on playing Malifaux with dice and in a "I go, You go" non-alternating turn structure?  :o

Aside from the fact that Lord Chompy Bits is a Ht4 model, so he's already pretty damned tall as far as the game is concerned, I don't think I've ever met a group of people that would be content to either:

• Ignore what the rulebook says about drawing line of sight to the base, and instead draw line of sight to the model
  • Allow someone to change how tall the game considers the model to be

I mean, there are 40K players who I think have come to blows over altering a standing model into a crouching position or using a base smaller than deemed appropriate.

• Haha 1
  • Agree 1

8 hours ago, dope_danny said:

Depends on your locals really. The 2e rulebook lists judging line of site and cover using the height of the model on the card but some people take a more literal approach and you can't hide your lord chompy bits behind a collapsing wall if hes standing atop a ruined statue or something taller than the cover.

That's roughly the same as basing your Jackdaw model on a 120mm titan base, and using that as his base size.

Do they also model their snipers on top of high perches so they can see over terrain, and gain cover from walls they have put on their base?

The rules give us a Ht value for the model, so that should be the value we use for applying the rules, regardless of how the actual model appears.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, dope_danny said:

Whoa, where do you play? That's a pretty massive rules overhaul that I'd love to try.