Monthly Painting Challenge: October

Franchute

28 minutes ago, lusciousmccabe said:

@Franchute Mind if I ask how you're doing the goop on your bases? Is it painted underneath or just colour in the water effect?

No problem. This is a trick I stole from the honorable painter master @Viruk. I simply mix Vallejo still water with GW Nurgle's rot. I apply the mixture in several thin layers.

Depending on how much still water you put into the mixture, it may become more or less transparent. For this reason, I first paint the base with a dark green (e.g. GW Caliban green) before applying the first layer. The very last layer I apply is pure Vallejo still water.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Caedrus, Reporting In.

I'll be away for a few days, so time for my end-of-month wrap-up.

@Franchute: I submit 12 points this month, being my Lazarus, and my Mindless zombie. Bad photo quality ahead!

aaKgoi0.jpgYXHegkg.jpg

Well, fellow painters, this has been an insane month for me, outside of the painting world. However, I've found a little time to relax and start / update a few projects:

DjEgy60.jpg

One blurry Austringer. Still not certain on the colours.

TzLJIrP.jpg

One final Guild Guard.

JmdHtJn.jpg

A Crooligan, who needs about a bucket of Matt additive...

KnfvCiA.jpg

A batch of bases, for many, many more mindless zombies. Finally:

wv1tFyy.jpg

Dashel! Blurry but getting there. I feel I should wait to claim him as a Master! Slowly, slowly developing sculpting skills.

Have a great month, all. I can't wait to see your works!

Caedrus.

• Like 9

A very slow month for me this month only finishing Amina Nadu for my Malifaux painting so just the 8 stones :( I painted a bunch of test figures in various colour schemes I've wanted to try out, but none of them actually got finished enough to call painted, or were Malifaux models. Next month I plan to get some of my terrain completely finished. Since the roofs have been done for months, I need to finish the buildings.

IMG-20181027-211017.jpg IMG-20181027-210946.jpg

• Like 3

Like double A seven, I painted up Amina Naidu.  I really need to practice a lot on painting faces.  This one was made a bit tricky with a slightly pebbled primer surface, but still aim to work on developing this next.  I have a good book on model painting I need to carve out some time to read.  The massive Grootslang was done last week.  So my October total sits at:

15 SS = Amina (9) + Grootslang (6)

large.2018Oct_Amina_Grootslang_done.jpg.100c24074b093c3c519f25928cbb21d1.jpg

• Like 4

Hi there!

This month I'm quite behind schedule, had to paint this Blood Bowl team (I'll post pics later) so at this moment I'm working on my first October model, Sandeep. Here is wip, I hope to finish it today and try to finish Kaeris between today and tomorrow (she's also in progress but there are no pictures).

The yellow flames and the base lack lots of work yet, but it's getting there. 

octubre.png

• Like 4

Hello,

congrats to all painters for the great minis I could admire this month.

Down here is my modest contribute for October: Zoraida and her Totem a Voodoo Doll for, if I'm not wrong, 18ss.

230.jpg

240.jpg

270.jpg

260.jpg

Zoraida was mounted over a resin swamp base; for the doll I used a plastic base with a resin tree insert. I have till to master the water effect for swamp but I see some improvement looking to psst months.

• Like 6

11 hours ago, prof_bycid said:

I really need to practice a lot on painting faces. 

I'm not claiming I'm an expert but I can say I improved with the painting buddha videos. They helped me understand where to place some lights when painting faces.

@Purple Mist I see you used Viruk's trick for the bases. Nice job! ;) 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Oops! Got so caught up in Halloween festivities I forgot to upload these last night! 

I managed to get the Cat-Stolen done as the classic Red Mage, White Mage, and Black Mage, the Dutiful Son as...well, yellow. If I can think of a good way to make him more Chocobo-esque I'll go back and update him. And my cobbled together Rat/Cat Catchers are Zorn and Thorn from FFIX. All told should be 20ss.

large.20181101_085246.jpg.c38084251cd26027ac6759e86e0c69bb.jpglarge.20181101_085118.jpg.7edb473fe608e51774746ea8ee241e77.jpg

• Like 6

3 hours ago, Franchute said:

@bedjy will you show us the hundred millions you usually paint every month? 

Well, not a hundred million this month ^^
And I've yet the bases to do, but they'll be done with several more another time. 
45196119-742119596122937-45085771938188445174536-421274398403983-61598663023588845320341-190864188469963-203653136700040
45142629-268608453798009-83171683314968845220886-302487763927431-421501176820583

Well, that's all I've painted this month. So : 

• BigBrain Brin 7
  • Neil Henri 7
  • Wanyudo 8
  • Torakage 6*2 = 12

For a total of 34 Soulstones

• Like 9

21 hours ago, Franchute said:

Thank God! It would have been your first mulligan in last three years, right? 😱

Yeah, probably that would be it. Next month looks hard as I don't really have any particular models from MFX to paint. I guess I may slap some paint on the old Pandora model I have but beyond that I will have to actually get something new I guess.

hodgepodge_2.jpg

Anyway, Hodgepodge Emissary and Nino are done - pics here http://www.whatthefaux.net/2018/11/hodgepodge-emissary.html 

Emissary is 10 SS, Nino 7 (unless we treat puppet versions differently) s that would make a total of 17 ss

@bedjy - some seriously good brushwork there, love the way you smoothly combine two completely different colors (like the brain/green skin or blue head/fire). Amazing stuff mate! 

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

I didn't have time to paint in October as I was away from home, but I went through your submissions and they are all great! My finger almost hurts from clicking 'like' on so many posts :P

@
prof_bycid Your Grootsland is really cool, it looks like a real lizzard with those yellow spots.
@bedjy You are a man possessed, there's no other way to paint so well and so fast :D 

• Haha 1