Monthly Painting Challenge: October

Franchute

Hello,

Here is the thread for October of the monthly painting challenge. Please post your pictures, plans and discussions for the month here.

I'm also copy-pasting a reminder of the rules and the principles of the challenge:

The idea of the challenge is a motivational one. It is simply a friendly painting community---not a competition---that we use to find motivation to finish painting our Malifaux miniatures. You pledge an amount of soulstones that you will be painting each month of the year 2018. If you want to enroll for the challenge, it's too late because you would use too many mulligans.

I'll use the following spreadsheet to keep track of each one's situation: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1zYYugrSGk_4GTo8OjHjyfI_ruYWYOSnhy7U2ivbgfZ8/edit?usp=sharing

Some specific rules:

• Models count for the month in which you finish them. 
  • Everyone may fail to make their monthly goal twice and stay in the challenge.
  • You can choose to go down in the pledge hierarchy during the year, but you cannot move up.
  • You may choose to sign up during a later month for the challenge but this means that you'll have to use one or two of the aforementioned mulligans: e.g. if you start in February, one mulligan will already been used; if you start in March, two mulligans will already been used; you cant start in April.
  • Masters count for 15 soulstones
  • Zero cost models count for 5 soulstones
  • Terrain count too. Terrain must be painted and is treated like zero cost models (i.e. count for 5 soulstones). The piece of terrain must be significantly larger than a 50mm marker.

Caedrus, checking in.

I just know that this month is going to be crazily busy, so I'm going with t a very moderate pledge of one mindless zombie.

Having said that, my stretch goals will be two Ice Dancers, and a mystery Outcast that is VERY nearly complete already!

Have a great painting month, all!

Caedrus.

• Like 1

October already!  It feels like I was just painting for the monthly challenge yesterday.

This month I will tackle the Grootslang and Amina Naidu.  With the Grootslang, I finally have a model to put on the 50 mm Wyrd sewer base that will not be lost in the massiveness of this base (which I love, BTW Wyrd).

Cheers all.

large.2018Oct_Amina_Grootslang.jpg.305b2a250ea12cbe70103dfd7fd6c160.jpg

• Like 3

Hi all,

My pledge for the month of October will be 

Lucky Emissary

The Voodoo Doll

Nightmare Whisky Golem (For Iron Painter ELIM round)

3 buildings (terrain)

3-4 scatter terrain (to count as 1 terrain piece)

Quite a lot to do but I’ve already made lots of progress on terrain and Emissary so should get it all done.

Any remaining time in the month will be starting an actual board for the terrain and also to glue and base paint ALL my remaining Gremlin/Bayou models ready for Nationals next month

Stretch goal, slip hauler (As always this guy is likely to be the last Gremlin I actually get round to painting)

• Like 1

Hello,

I take in my hand The Swamp Hang box and almost assembled all relative models.

I wanna try going after the full box, this is my first time working a box instead of spare models.

At worst I'll see to tally my pledge target finishing some models and putting the other aside for the next month.

Goog painting to all of you.

• Like 1

Caedrus, reporting in with an astonishingly early completed miniature!

Well, if I'm honest, it was 90% completed, but I've just finished it, so if I get super busy this month (rather likely!), I've got at least something done. Here's the story:

I bought a Lazarus off eBay (another cheap eBay rescue). Like many of you, I wasn't so keen on the moel. Really, really bad dynamics. Illogical pipe locations. Add in my need for it to be a bit steampunky (which is my dominant Malifaux theme), and I had a few ideas. Then it struck me that there were two inspirations for Lazarus. One, obviously, the biblical character, rising from the dead.

However, there was another influence. We start off with a Guild police officer, near death, returned to a semblance of life and eternal torment. A cyborg that now works for new ideals, rather than those of the corrupt 'lawmen' from whom he feels increasingly distant. That's right, folks, I made a steampunk Robocop.

GaxoOVC.jpg

YXHegkg.jpg

Behold, Steampunk Robocop Lazarus!

Using some pretty ordinary greenstuff and putty skills, the right gatling arm (which, inexplicably, was a grenade launcher?) was converted to a new hand. The grenade launcher was moved above his head, the pipes deleted (so he can now, you know, use his arms), and the pelvis narrowed.

I'm thinking the backpack needs a touch more adornment. The colours are a bit washed out, but there's a gradation of colour in the bricks from Guild-Red to Outcast-Orange. The girders are melted Evergreen Scale Model girders.

So, I can now call this model (essentially) complete. Any comments, critiques or feedback are very welcome.

See you later in the month!

Caedrus.

• Like 8

But @Caedrus what happened to that mindless zombie you mentioned! XD

I'm one of the few fans of the original model. But I have to recognize you did a great work on Lazarus. I like the way he bends the metallic thing. This indeed makes it more dynamic. I agree with you on the back pack. It may need something else. You could maybe do some weathering on the back or add a sticker maybe there.

edit: btw I'm writing down 10ss for you so far this month.

• Like 1

Hey there!

This month I'll have little time since I have to paint a Blood Bowl team for a friend, so I'm picking 3 models only but quite rich in SS. 

* Alt. Kaeris: the one I like the least, mainly because she was one of the models affected by the crappy primer. 

* Sandeep: I'd prefer to paint Banasuva, but I always paint the master first. 

* Rasputina: I've already painted the vintage one, I'm painted this one just to have all the models painted. 

As they are three masters, they will be (if I recall correctly) 15 SS = 45 SS. In case I have enough time I'll add some models from my (always increasing) pool of unpainted Malifaux models.

Lucky Emissary is done

2-F7-F6758-7-C3-E-4-D30-B912-8105102-B4-

EE7-C59-DC-BC4-C-4-EF6-9651-238761-F1-D8

7-CC5939-F-7-AF4-4-DB4-B3-BF-F2-E55-DEDF

AB6-F38-A1-F098-46-D9-B92-C-FA272-EF840-

Ophelia and Whisky Golem are progressing nicely

216956-D9-4-F2-E-4-B6-E-9-BFD-57-CA59-C2

Ive also finished 6 pieces of terrain (but scatter) so will just count them for 15ss total 

Will post them and total ss toward end of month

Quite happy with things but really need to get more together and base painted in preparation for Nationals

• Like 4

Caedrus, reporting in with a mid-late month update.

aaKgoi0.jpg

Bad photo, but a mindless zombie, completed, so I've reached my pledge.

Npeopq5.jpg

Lots still to do on my Dashel...

YBOzoHy.jpg

...but my Flesh Construct is coming along nicely!

See you at the end of the month! Keep on painting!

Caedrus.

• Like 6

I have finished the Grootslang for the first part of my October pledge.  This was a really fun one to try some new techniques with.  I can't believe he actually dwarfs that massive base that I thought was going to be way too large for any model (but had to have nonetheless).  Over a week to finish the last model?  Unheard of!

large.2018Oct_Grootslang_done.jpg.d9de34677040ee2d8e843c6dc3556e18.jpg  

• Like 5