New style bases?

Boomstick

Putting together the Backdraft and Undying boxes, I noticed the 30mm bases are slightly shallower than the previous standard. Too shallow to put a magnet on the bottom, in fact. Does anyone have an idea if this will be the new standard going forward? Is this/will this be the same for any boxes of bases Wyrd sells going forward? Just looking for if I should stock up on the old style bases for magnetization purposes.

• Like 1

Got my Monster Hunters on friday and i really can't understand what's going on regarding quality and (missing) quality control (the details of the model seem to less "crisp" than normal, the model itself has some serious moddeling issues, the cards are slightly bigger than the cards before).
Why change the bases? The new bases don't have space for a magnet beneath then, they seem to be thinner than the ones before (so you'll get a much less consisten look with your models) and the worst thing of all: they are SMALLER...
I use pre-cut selfadhesive magnetic foil. With the old bases and the ones from other companies they always did fit perfectly. With the new bases they are suddendly to big.

• 3 weeks later...

I heard about this and I am bit worried. Is the difference noticable if you add sand, grass tufts, foliage etc. or is it problematic only for magnetization? Would someone kindly do a side by side comparison? Both top and the bottom, please. Thank you in advance 🙂

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Phinn said:

I heard about this and I am bit worried. Is the difference noticable if you add sand, grass tufts, foliage etc. or is it problematic only for magnetization? Would someone kindly do a side by side comparison? Both top and the bottom, please. Thank you in advance 🙂

Second this! I was really happy when Wyrd did the new slotless bases for all miniatures. Reading this I am also a bit worried how old and new bases will look on the same board.

• Like 1

I can get pictures a bit later today.

Profile wise they are a hair shorter overall, not really noticable unless you put them side by side and are looking for it. Might actually work better for sand and things, since essentially the center of the base has been dropped a little, so there's a deeper inset. No more support ring on the bottom.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1