Newbie questions

SaveVersus

Hi.

I just picked up the Core Rulebook and a few others, and had some questions. If these have been answered already, apologies.

1) Suit types in Fate Deck. Aside from Undead having to select Crows as their Defining Suit, is there anything else that checks for this, or are the names just there to avoid confusion?

2) The core book goes from tools right into weapons. Do weapons give you a [+] when using them, or that is that just for the toolkits?

3) All the toolkits say Skill 4 in the table. Does that add to/replace your skill, or is that a requirement?

1) If we are talking about the four suits in the deck, like Crow, Ram, Tome, and Mask, those are important for potential triggers.  So if your defining suit is a crow, your highest card in your twist deck is the 13 of crow. 

2) Just the toolkits, the weapons just the next section after them.

3) That is what skill to make your own.  So if a Fated wanted to make a toolkit they need to have a 4 in the crafting skill to do make it.  You can find it on page 224 in the craft these items section.  It says to use the Homesteading skill for crafting Skill Toolkits in that section.

Thank you for the reply.

I was just wondering if there were any effects I haven't read yet that reference the suit categories, like "gain [+][+] if the target's Ascending Suit matches yours" or something similar.

I totally read the Craft These Items section and retained absolutely none of it apparently.

I have another question now:

4) Under the section about multiple TNs, it says you need to succeed on each TN in order for the action to be successful. Is there a reason it wasn't worded, "if there are multiple TNs, you need to succeed on the highest?" The example given looks like one pull for both checks. Is there an example where you need to check against different TNs using different skills?

17 hours ago, Steamtastic Vagabond said:

Basically, but with Margins of Failure, it would determine how bad the character would fail, perhaps leading to more dire consequences than first expected.

Thanks. That makes sense too.

I don't know how often two suit skill pulls come up, so it might now even be an issue, but pigeonholing someone into failure seems like a bad thing. Unless there's some sort of "check mate" feature where you've spent enough resources to back the other person into a corner. I've been focusing on getting the rules down, so I haven't taken a deep dive into all the Talents yet.

• 3 weeks later...

I don't think starting characters are likely to be required to match mutliple suits on a flip.

They might have triggers which make it beneficial if they can though. Expecially if magic is involved. Eg they need to match a suit to cast the spell, but they might choose a trigger for that magic skill that has a different suit (Although this is a fairly bad idea for a starting character - unless they are trying to min max later character options or at least to plan for a more specific character later on)

npc's often have mixed suit requirement - but in those cases they often also have an automatic suit which gets added to every flip

1 hour ago, diki said:

Eg they need to match a suit to cast the spell, but they might choose a trigger for that magic skill that has a different suit (Although this is a fairly bad idea for a starting character - unless they are trying to min max later character options or at least to plan for a more specific character later on)

Or they have the Oxford Magical Theory which allows to auto-include a suit. 

• Like 1