Should I Wait?

RobsterTheLobster

First of hello to everyone on the other side of the internet.

I have been an tabletop player for the better part of the last two decades. Though the last few years, my games and the time I spend with different games have become far less then I like. Mostly because my main game have always been 40k. Which is more time consuming than I have time for, the adult life takes more and more time from my hobbies. 

But a few weeks age a friend of mine who is in the same situation as me, suggested that we should look into Malifaux. To make a long story short, we both liked it, and has since convinced a few others to join in

So for we have five players ready to join in a slow form of escalation type league. Me playing Neverborn, an arcanist, one who choose guild and two who want to play gremlings.

So to the question at hand, when we started to look into what to buy, we noticed that a third edition was on it's way. Should we wait for it to drop before we start to buy? Or will everything still be avaible and useful in the next edition?

Thanks in advance!

Everything looks like it will be available (I don't know this for sure but haven't heard anytging else). Some current masters will not be permitted in official tournaments and some are changing factions. I think every model will still be playable but of course some that are super useful now might end up less useful in third edition. They are also bringing back emphasis on themes so most models will be more expensive to hire unless you are playing the master they go together with so there is a high risk of you ending up with models that are not nearly as useful for several of your masters after the edition change. If you pick the "right" masters and don't buy up half the faction to be super competitive right now in m2e you will probably survive the edition change well but I would advice you to stay with a single thematic crew.

This isn’t 40K. You do not need to paint up 50 new models, because the flavor of the month have changed.

And the quality of minis are high, they’re nice to paint up. So unless you suffer big from wanting the latest version of a mini, then you’re pretty safe - otherwise, it’ll only be a handful of models, you’d need to ‘redo’. 

Third the rules are freely available. Model rules come fully updated, when you purchase the app - which will be updated for m3e.

So the only reason for waiting would be, to avoid any discussions about which edition is the best.