Is there a list of what each master has in their theme crews for M3E?

Skylifter-1000

Hi folks,

I'm currently thinking of starting another crew, but since M3E is around the corner, I want to avoid buying and painting models that I won't be able to use in their crew in M3E. 

So is there some kind of list of which models share which keywords? That would be tremendously helpful in easing the transition and making me spend money on Malifaux right now. *winkwink*

Cheers

Not yet, but I finally got hold of Wyrd Chronicles 37 (that was a bit of a struggle, drivethroughrpg.com and Chrome decided they weren’t talking to one another) and the Building on a Budget article for Gremlins had some frankly weird choices for supplemental models, which I can only guess were keyword linked. Survivors are, well, survivable, but they don’t really go with any master in particular do they?

Otherwise, for now it’s just ‘buy into keyword reliant masters with obvious support’. Some factions *looks at Guild* have an easy time with that and some *looks at Outcasts, clean half* *looks at Marlena in particular* really don’t.

I think every model has to have a keyword and go with one master or other, right? Or there could be models with no theme crew which would just be costed one less than they actually should, because they will cost one more for everyone anyway. Probably what's going to happen with the effigies and emissaries, right?

But well, that is kind of a bummer, I was hoping to expand my collection of masters a little into factions I'm not intending to get completely. Guess I'll have to stick with Ressers for now. Though I heard it isn't even sure all the models will stay in their respective factions, but okay, guess I'll have to take that risk then (or stop buying until M3E finally drops in Europe, so roughly half a year if it is released in the US in 3 months...).

There are plenty of maater with lots of thematic models. Apart from outcasts and guild you can look at nvb and most master have plenty of keyword models. Same thing for arcanists even if m&su might get broken up into aubsets there are masters like Mei Feng and Raspy with strong theme. Thunders masters also have solid themes.

8 hours ago, Ludvig said:

There are plenty of maater with lots of thematic models. 

No doubt, and that'll make collecting a few masters from a different faction so much better. 

But my question was aiming in a different direction: I am currently interested in buying a second master to add to Mei Feng, while I usually play Ressers. Now without knowing which models will be part of each masters thematic crew, ie share their keyword, it is kind of risky to just buy stuff from a faction I do not intend on playing as a whole. I'm not even sure wether I'll get a TT or an Arcanist master, but without knowing which models will go with them in next edition, I just don't want to buy stuff. 

2 hours ago, Skylifter-1000 said:

No doubt, and that'll make collecting a few masters from a different faction so much better. 

But my question was aiming in a different direction: I am currently interested in buying a second master to add to Mei Feng, while I usually play Ressers. Now without knowing which models will be part of each masters thematic crew, ie share their keyword, it is kind of risky to just buy stuff from a faction I do not intend on playing as a whole. I'm not even sure wether I'll get a TT or an Arcanist master, but without knowing which models will go with them in next edition, I just don't want to buy stuff. 

https://www.wyrd-games.net/table-flip/

Mei will stay dual faction and you can check which masters will be in which faction in the link above. We know that effigies and emissaries will be versatile so any crew can use them in next edition. Anything in a masters start box kind of needs to share their keyword since they've been boxed together for two editions in most cases so it would be pretty unthinkable for them to stop being themed. A master box, effigy and emissary coupled with whatever you've already got for Mei should let you enjoy a bunch of games. I'd also bet good money that frozen heart, academic and showgirl models will stay in their themes. M&SU is the arcanist theme most likely to get broken up since so many masters currently use it.

I'm not super into thunders so I don't know as much about them but I'm pretty sure most of their models only have one thematic keyword today so they'll likely stay the same. The ones with 3+ keywords are the ones really likely to loose half of them. Yes, I'm looking at you neverborn models. ;) 

6 hours ago, Ludvig said:

...Anything in a masters start box kind of needs to share their keyword since they've been boxed together for two editions in most cases so it would be pretty unthinkable for them to stop being themed. ...

Well we all know who is the exception. His box not contains any single correct card in M2E. And now about half of models included in his box are belonging to another keyword.

1 hour ago, solkan said:

Is this about the nightmare edition McCabe getting the Dead Justice box treatment?

Actually it's Lucius. His crew box comes with his Totem, Dashel (soon to be a Master), two Lawyers and two Guild Guard. From what we know the Lawyers and Totem will almost definitely keep Lucius's keyword, but Dashel will have his own and the Guild Guard are an unknown. 

So it's pretty likely Lucius will be getting an updated box at some point!

Oh and for the record, the Dead Justice box is still playable as a standard Lady Justice crew. In fact it's what I use when I'm playing LJ myself. ;) 

On 9/4/2018 at 9:15 PM, Gnomezilla said:

Not yet, but I finally got hold of Wyrd Chronicles 37 (that was a bit of a struggle, drivethroughrpg.com and Chrome decided they weren’t talking to one another) and the Building on a Budget article for Gremlins had some frankly weird choices for supplemental models, which I can only guess were keyword linked.

That's exactly it. As I said in the article, I only suggested models for each Master from the pool of those that were Versatile or who matched that Master's keyword (*based on the rules at that time*... things might have changed since then of course).

So yeah, some of the suggestions would have looked odd, but it allowed you to build an M3E-friendly crew that was still decent in M2E too.

Beyond that, Gnomezilla is right - there's alot of models that you can guess which Master they'll fit with. For instance Nekima will likely love all the Nephilim, Brewmaster will want his Tri Chi and Rasputina will be able to take her Frozen Heart models. Some are less clear, but you might be able to make some educated guesses based on their background. 

Then there's the Versatile models, who can be taken with anyone in that faction. At the moment the only definites are the Effigies and Emissaries. So if you're expanding your crew for M3E then those are pretty safe purchases. Trying to guess who else might be Versatile is much more risky though. At best, you MIGHT be able to pick a few models based on them not fitting anywhere else, but it's not something I'd want to bet on. 

4 hours ago, Rufess said:

Well we all know who is the exception. His box not contains any single correct card in M2E. And now about half of models included in his box are belonging to another keyword.

If we're talking about Lucius he is probably just that, an exception. Just because that happens to one master I wouldn't be worried to start others. His box was already divided between several keywords, nothing in his box is likely changing keywords which is kind of my point for other master boxes. Look at their current keywords and you can easily figure out if they are at risk of changing. 

As I said: just a master box and the models we already know will be versatile plus whatever box you already own in the same faction should give you some stuff to play around with and be prettysafe.

I am holding off my purchases because there might be new master boxes with new sculpts and previously unreleased models that you can only get in that master's box. I would hate to need to buy doubles of stuff. For the same reason it could be worth looking at models currently sold separately since most game systems are bundling everything these days.

I think the only thing I can really do is just ignore all that and go for what I like now, then later find what I can and can't use, and maybe just get the fitting masters, too, bit by bit. 

Since I'm in Germany, and it always takes 2 or 3 months for new stuff to come here anyway, I'll probably get at least half a year's worth of play out of it anyway. 

Thanks for your input either way - if there had been lists, it would have been nice, but alas, can't have everything. 

• Like 1

Emissary versus rider is an either/or situation in a list though, since they are both expensive hires. For now, the only time it might happen is in Ten Thunders with Yasunori as a stand-in ‘horseman’. And riders even with the current rules are just plain weird; at least with emissaries (and Yas) you’ve got a solid idea of what it does no matter what turn it is. I’d definitely get the emissary first unless you are in love with the rider aesthetic.

Emissary and effigy are probably the best ideas, even though I'm not a big fan of the TT emissary's model, but I'll see. 

I'm taking the plunge now anyway because there will be at least six months to get fun out of it before 3rd edition, so it'll be fine. Also I'll just go with Yan Lo as my next TT master, since I can play him in Ressers, too, a faction which I'm going to collect completely, anyway.