Pushes towards and away

Erik1978

Question

I was almost certain that ALL pushes towards or away from object/models in Malifaux was center vs center, always.

I thought I saw it in some errata example but I can't find it.

Did I just remember it wrong? Some effects that pushes a model into base contact with something else, doesn't necessarily have to be directly towards the center?

5 answers to this question

When you push into base contact with something you are pushing in relation to another object (that base) so per the base rules the push must try to go the shortest distance center to center. This has never needed errata/faq because all the rules lawyers here seem to be in agreement about it and apparently the devs have the same view since they haven't done anything to rectify this reading of the rules.

Despite the name faq the faq mostly deals with questions that aren't simply answered by reading the relevant rules. It focuses on the rules that are actually ambiguous or very complicated interactions. Otherwise it would be senselessly bloated with questions on duel totals and walks being walks etc. that are often asked here but quickly answered without debate.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

There have been several discussion on this over the years, but the consensus is that the rulebook says all pushes with a direction are directly toward or away, and base contact is a direction,  therefore has to be direct.

I can't recall official images, but some threads may have had images to explain the point. It's not been in any errata I can think of. 

I had an opponent yesterday who strongly disagreed and wanted to push a model to the side of a scheme marker. I told him it was always directly to/from whenever 2 objects/models were involved but I thought it was in an errata.

I will direct him here, if it happens again. Thanks. :)

It's not about direction, if a push mentions any sort of direction you follow that. It's that the rules say a push "in relation to another object" must be direct. Base contact with an object is a push in relation to that object and thus you must do it directly towards that object.

• Agree 1