Malifaux New Bases???

Hello,

I've just got my Gweneth Maddox an noticed that the 30mm base is different than the other ones.

The Base in question has a smaler lip and the the space for the inserts is at lest twice as deep.

The normal "ring" on the underside is gone but the Wyrd logo is still there.

Is this a new design for Malifaux or maybe a misspacked base from TOS?

Best regards

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, Astelan86 said:

Hello,

I've just got my Gweneth Maddox an noticed that the 30mm base is different than the other ones.

The Base in question has a smaler lip and the the space for the inserts is at lest twice as deep.

The normal "ring" on the underside is gone but the Wyrd logo is still there.

Is this a new design for Malifaux or maybe a misspacked base from TOS?

Best regards

These are the bases designed for the Wyrd cape inserts.

It would be great if we could get an official statement on what we will be getting going forward. My new Customeeple inserts are too small, and thin, for the newer style bases, for example.

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

Yes, I just got my new Monster Hunter and they have the new bases, too.

I really hope for a official statement.

And I have to say, that I dont like the new bases: First, I have a lot of Malifaux Miniatures all on the same "old" bases. I dont like the look, if a crew has "mixed" bases. In my feelings, this is a devaluation of the existing models, because in the future, you will recognize the "old" models just through looking at their bases.

I dont know, why they have created these new bases to fit the Wyrd cape inserts and not just design the inserts to fit the old bases.

Hopefully, the old bases stay available - or better in the future, both bases come with a miniature.

Design Decisions like these (if it comes as feared) reminds me of the industry primus with the big two letters; sorry for this comparison, but I dont want to have to buy all miniatures again, just because I want to have a closed appearance of my crews.

Just my five cents..

• Like 2
  • Agree 6
  • Respectfully Disagree 1

I must agree that it was little bit frustrating to see different bases... I prefer use magnets and also likes an identity in matter of bases. Besides that, lot of different manufacturers provides tons of inserts for "standart" 30mm bases and those inserts are 25mm wich is too small for new Wyrd bases...

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

I'm fairly certain there was a base switch between mk 1 and mk 2 as well, the "new" ones with the circle under them are slightly lower and have different curvature compared to the old ones. I also hated crews having different bases so I found third party ones that looked like the old ones. If you started during mk 2 that could become a problem.

17 hours ago, Ludvig said:

I'm fairly certain there was a base switch between mk 1 and mk 2 as well, the "new" ones with the circle under them are slightly lower and have different curvature compared to the old ones. I also hated crews having different bases so I found third party ones that looked like the old ones. If you started during mk 2 that could become a problem.

You're right) I have here all bases ever released: before Malifaux - 1st edition - 2nd edition - 3rd edition
There was always space beneath

20180828_002934.jpg.6b8ad171131bd28bef86af88bdedd6c4.jpg20180828_002915.jpg.ded822a7f602e90da3b8d3fbae32054f.jpg

• Like 5

• 1 year later...

After I discovered the M2e base change (too late for a few models unfortunately) I chucked the rest of them into a box, ordered the classic D&G bases in massive quantities, and never looked back. Give me the classic design any day.

BTW, that "before Malifaux" base looks bigger than 30mm, how big is it actually and what were those used for? RPG minis?

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

I'm extremely displeased with these new bases, for all the reasons everyone else is. Mismatched bases really look terrible, I can't picture putting money and time into models knowing from the beginning they won't look good in my force.

I guess that's a natural point to stop collecting Malifaux, knowing any model purchased from here in will not fit into my collection. :(

• 2 weeks later...