How to be a better Opponent?

DonCheadle

Preface: I just had a game of Malifaux in my VASSAL league that caused my opponent to concede on me as well as leave the league mid-turn 2.

The tipping point was shooting the 1-wound, engaged, double Defensive First Mate with his Sue, managing to hit him via randomize (burning a bunch of high cards) only to find out that the First Mate had perfect camouflage, which, alongside the cover he was in, put Sue on a negative flip to hit, ultimately causing him to fail (although I believe I could have cheated to win regardless). 

My opponent was flustered, being already in a bad headspace after an interaction where he flipped a card too many which we had to meticulously put back, reflip (VASSAL UI wasn't doing us any favours). He was angered by me not telling him that the First Mate had Perfect Camouflage, because he'd definitely had done something else with his activation then. In my defense, I wasn't paying attention (looking at the rules for models, planning my next activation) and only learnt of his attack after he had flipped. I did not intentionally mislead my opponent. I did, however, relish the fact that he was put on negatives. After failing his second shot, which fell on Francois, he gave up, saying something about how he usually plays against nicer opponents. He wasn't in a bad spot game-wise, and it could have easily gone either way.

I did a little self-reflection, and I think he has a point. Playing against me isn't much fun. Now I was in the tournament mindset, (I had mentally accepted I was probably going to lose because I was playing a master for a first time, so I wasn't actually _that_ keen on winning) fact checking, making sure that everything was in the right order, but I might've overdone it.

I'd like to know how to be a more fun opponent to play against. I've played against numerous capable tournament players, and while it's never been easy, it's always been a pleasant enough experience (when the Summoner mirror doesn't clog up the board - Ha!). So it's certainly possible to play with a competitive mindset, and still ensure that other people are having a good time.

One solution is to ask my opponents for a post-match evaluation, which I think I'll do - that will help identify problems. Now the question is, "How to solve 'em?"
I don't claim to know myself perfectly, definitely have some blind spots, but preliminary analysis gives me the following points to tackle:

1. Slow Player: I'm slow as heck. Now, not every game finishes within 2-2.5 hours, and that's fine, but it's rare for me to finish a game in that time. Analysis Paralysis plays a huge role in this one, and I often find myself overwhelmed at the sheer breadth of options Malifaux offers. Might also have something to do with the fact that I like to try out new models and masters, which only expedites the issue. I consciously stay away from Summoners because I know they're bound to make me even slower, but even as is, I'm slow. Does anyone have any advice here? I think someone already made a lengthy post about this topic, so I'll have a look at that as well. Is putting up a timer for myself, perhaps 90 minutes to start out with, a good answer?

2. Lack of Communication: At times, I get so fixated on trying to figure out what the next move was going to be that I fail to talk to my opponent and become unavailable. Of course this is made worse by online play (I think I'll mostly stick to in-person games from now on), but it is this personal flaw that led me to quit Netrunner - I had a particularly nasty engagement that required a judge ruling in Bratislava, and did not feel like continuing to play afterwards, so I sold my collection.

3. The need for exactness: This is probably common, but I require my opponents to measure their moves out, and only move as much as they're allowed to. Now this is fair, but most likely also extremely annoying to face. Those couple of extra millimeters that they might get won't kill me. What I should do here, in my opinion, is to ensure that I'm staying within my allotted movement area, and hope that my opponent does the same. Now this is easier said than done, as in the heat of the moment I might still get caught up, but I think I'll get more fun out of the game for myself and my opponent if I stopped quibbling over every enemy move.

I've never insulted an opponent, (I'd like to say I've never willfully hidden important information from my opponent but I'm certain it has happened once or twice - my opponent and I once forgot that Barbaros had his taunt aura up and I still feel bad about that), but there's more to being a good opponent than that it seems. And I'd like to learn. If you've got any tips or advice, it'd be much appreciated.

• Like 1

I'm going to be honest here. From what you've sketched here the problem is not with you.

Forgetting stuff happens. When he targetted The First Mate he could have asked for any modifiers/abilities, but he didn't. It's not your job to tell your opponent all your abilities and all possibilities. Some people do, some people don't. This guy was just extremely salty that he made another mistake. The first was flipping the extra card, that's also not your fault. Him giving a remark about "nicer" opponents makes me think he's a teen that only plays people worse than him or somebody that needs way too much handholding. I would dare say you were a much better opponent than he was this game, yet his saltiness ruined it.

I'm also a rather slow player. I've never had games end within 2.5 hours and it's never been a problem for either player. On tournaments we play with a 2 hour rule and nobody here has finished their games. I've been the only one managing that and that was because I killed 35+ stones (Izamu, Yasunori and Sensei Yu) by the end of Turn 2 in my NPE Lynch crew. Opponent gave up giving me the 10-1 win. All the rest of my games I've reached Turn 4 max at the 2 hours mark and that was also against a very competitive player.

I can't really comment on the lack of communication as I don't play online. I am a planning type of player too and have analysis paralysis sometimes too, especially when playing a new crew. Sometimes it takes me 2 hours to reach Turn 2! All you can do to improve there is to play more often and/or play crews you know. Learning a new crew should be done against people you know to have a very good patience or don't mind this sort of thing. Eventually it will get better, but you'll have to play to fix this.

Measuring out moves beforehand should be common sense in my opinion and I too hate it when people just move "in the general area" of what they can do. If they take a couple of extra mm too many a couple of times too many, suddenly they'll have moved an extra inch they shouldn't have! You just want to play correct and there's nothing wrong with that. Some people can't handle that and it's their good right, but they shouldn't take out their frustration on you. You are, after all, playing by the rules of the game and would like a "correct" game.

I've also quit games even on Turn 1 because the power of bullshit was too strong. Opponent summons 2 Hanged with Kirai on Turn 1 and still kills Kang due to shitty flips? No point in continuing. Opponent Alpha's you with 2 Kentauroi on pre-nerf Nicodem on Turn 1? No point in continuing. It's something I don't like about this game and that's how swingy and OP top resser masters can be if they get the lucky hand Turn 1. There's pretty much nothing you can do if they start with 2 13's in their hand and stay back to stop your alpha strike from hitting them. It's why I'm happy we're going to a new edition and I hope the balance will be better there.

For me being a good opponent is the following

• DO NOT INSULT
  • casual play: made a small mistake? Take back your move if no cards were flipped.
  • Do not try to hide information on purpose. You can forget something, but that's completely different.
  • Answer questions, even if it's just a yes/no
  • Be graceful in either victory or defeat

If I would take the time to learn Vassal, I would certainly play against you. You seem like a nice guy and have pretty much thesame disorders (minor exaggeration) as me.

The only advice that I can give you is to warn your opponents in advance. Ask them if they don't mind playing against a slow player. Warn them you sometimes don't respond and they have to do something to get your attention. These things are not a big deal. If people refuse to play against you for this, you are better off not having started the game either way.

I hope your next opponents are better than this entitled whiny saltbag and wish you good luck in battle!

• Thanks 1

Just my thoughts on this matter:

Speeding up is always nice. Try to have a clear game plan from deployment onwards and do a quick plan at the start of a turn. Most models should have a super clear purpose from deployment onwards. Half your hand can usually be allocated to specific actions that you need to get done at the start of a turn. Tell the opponent that you are slow and ask if they have a time they need to stop playing. Biggest thing of all: stop jumping around with lists. Stick to a crew and learn the cards by heart so you only need to quickly check defensive abilities.

Forgetting about stuff happens. Players should ask outright about defensive abilities before attacking if it's an important attack. If your opponent actually asked you and you didn't answer I can understand they felt frustrated but a miss or two shouldn't make anyone quit a game. That shot seems to have already had pretty abysmal chances of hitting. I always offer info about abilities unprompted if I remember them but not everyone does that and that's ok.

Communicaion is key, not sure how to get around that. The game itself would run smoother with a computer simulation that never forgot rules and handled flips. The reason for playing mini games and not computer games is human interaction. I gave up vassal because games weren't enjoyable for me because I lost the main draw of the game.

Exactness isn't necessarily a bad thing. In vassal it should be even easier to measure exactly so I don't think you can be blamed for that. On the tabletop I find being generous makes for a lot more enjoyable games even if it sometimes screws me over. If exact measurements are important for your enjoyment I would try to find likeminded opponents.

In face to face play Inever drop games no matter how bad they look in early turns. Your opponent can run into a similar crapstreak and you have a shot even if they summon a bunch of hanged.

All that being said I'm pretty sure I'm not always the best opponent myself. I can fall into a place of negativity that impacts my opponent negatively. I hope I offered something helpful.

• Thanks 1

TL,DR: I dislike the idea of clock play. A lot. But it unlocked the analysis-paralysis long enough to me to realize that could be un-learned.

It is incredible how much quicker I played the first time someone called ‘fifteen minutes until time’ (practicing for my first tournament) and the goal changed from optimizing every AP to maximizing quantity of AP. Try playing an entire game on speed mode and not caring about VP (or even what your opponent is planning) and it might have a lasting effect on your  basic game.

• Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

My opinion is that slow play is a problem, and it is easily mitigated by learning your cards and by just making a decision, accepting that there's a risk of non-optimal play.

It is a matter of politeness to the opponent, who doesn't want to spend two hours of a three hour game staring at you staring at your models. Also, the game is intended to be played to five turns and the models and victory conditions are constructed as such, so you should aim to reach that. Finishing turn five in under three hours should be achievable, preferably inside two and a half, though even I feel two hours is often pretty tight unless someone is getting crushed or both players know their crews inside out.

Communication is always a highest priority, but that doesn't require you to talk through every thought - answer questions promptly and in detail, ask questions if you have them, and that should be sufficient. This is something else that can be helped by learning your cards, which links into remembering abilities etc.

Precision is something that should be expected anyway, so you are absolutely in the right to ask for clear measurements.

In casual games I see no problem in asking to re-rack if turn one or two have already decided the game, but I prefer to play them out to try and eek out every last VP from a position of disadvantage. If the opponent would prefer to continue the game to practice the crew they're playing then I'd continue too - now is the time to learn whether a Performer can be a beater if she really has to, or if an Ice Gamin on Defensive +2 is an efficient card-drain on your opponent, or Cassandra can take Joss one-on-one. I certainly wouldn't scoop up my toys and go home mid-game.

@DonCheadle - it sounds like there are things you can iimprove upon, but you weren't the problem in that scenario.

• Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

On 8/24/2018 at 9:17 AM, DonCheadle said:

The tipping point was shooting the 1-wound, engaged, double Defensive First Mate with his Sue, managing to hit him via randomize (burning a bunch of high cards) only to find out that the First Mate had perfect camouflage..........

My opponent was flustered.......

sometimes that happens. A lot of times an opponent gets upset not because of something you did but because they are upset they made a mistake or didn't make a good decision. In cases like that there is really nothing you can do about it. In cases where they they feel like it was a "gotcha" moment (whether it was or not) the only way you can prevent this is to talk through things with them before they make a decision. You can't always do this and some players don't like it because they don't want your input but whenever it is a BAD mathematically unsound decision I try to politely point it out, talk through why it isn't a good decision, and alternate options they have. At that point if they do it anyway and it doesn't work out they are more likely to not get upset as they "knew" it was unlikely to work. 

In your example it seems like you couldn't have done this as you weren't tuned in to what they were doing until it is too late. The other thing I do (trade secrets revealed) is I always try to talk up what my opponent is doing when they do something good, sympathize with them when something bad happens, point out how close something could have been, etc to keep them feeling positive and that if something bad happened it was just poor luck and there was nothing that could be done....people tend to feel better about bad situations if they feel there is a light at the end of the tunnel or the situation is no fault of there own. Reinforcing that the bad situation is a result of their own poor decisions just tends to make them more upset. 

Some people would be down on taking this approach as it isn't how I genuinely feel about the situation and that I am trying to manipulate my opponent. However, I don't see it that way...I am just trying to ensure everyone is in a good mood and has a good game no matter what the result is. People are more likely to continue to play, participate, etc if they have fun and/or have a good time win or lose than they are if they are down on themselves and miserable about the game. 

I did a little self-reflection......

always good in situations like this. 

I'd like to know how to be a more fun opponent to play against.....

One solution is to ask my opponents for a post-match evaluation, which I think I'll do - that will help identify problems. Now the question is, "How to solve 'em?"
I don't claim to know myself perfectly, definitely have some blind spots, but preliminary analysis gives me the following points to tackle:

1. Slow Player: I'm slow as heck......

sometimes I am guilty of this too. I can play a fast game when I have to but prefer to have time to analyze and make the best decisions. However if you want to see dup play there are a few recommendations I would make. Speed is based on in depth understanding of your models, their interactions, and how to use them in multiple circumstances. The few options and greater the familiarity you have with them the quicker your play will be.

Though a lot of people don't like smaller games in my opinion the key is to play more games at smaller points levels using the some of the same models you use in a bigger game. In the smaller game there are fewer variables so it becomes easier for you to see interactions, patterns, and develops set of common approaches to dealing with certain situations. Then incrementally step up the size adding 1 more model, playing more games, 1 more model, playing more games, etc until you are up to your standard 50SS game. The more mileage you get with the same models the quicker you will get at assessing the situation and making decisions about how to employ them in a variety of games. 

This is hard for a lot of people to do as they get bored with the same thing game after game....fortunately in Malifaux even if you are playing the same thing the changes in strategies and schemes and opposing crews can keep things fun even if you are using the same crew over and over. When you do swap things out minimize how much you change (1-2 models tops) so you can still use your default TTPs with the majority of the crew utilizing your previous experiences and practice. 

1. Lack of Communication.....

I used to be the same way years ago in competitive warhammer and would tunnel vision on the game in order to focus, assess, make good decisions, and win. The down side was my soft scores suffered and I would often get middle of the road on sportsmanship..... I wasn't being rude or unfriendly, I just wasn't making the effort to be social and was focused on the game and winning. While maybe it shouldn't matter a lot of people tend to enjoy the game more if their opponent is friendly and social rather than all business. Once I realized this I started making the conscious effort to socialize throughout the game (easier in person than online) this tends to make people feel more engaged and enjoy the game more no matter how it goes. 

I generally try to focus a lot of the side bar discussion on the game, what I am doing, what they are doing, etc. It generally avoids a lot of confusion and issues with conditions, effects, measurements, etc when you talk through intent while you are playing and moving. This also allows the disagreements about  anything (LOS, range, etc) to occur while you/they still have time to compensate and adjust rather than once it's too late to go back and then makes them feel "cheated" out of a chance to do what they wanted. 

1. The need for exactness....

there isn't anything wrong with this at all. Everything should be done exactly. However, it can lead to a negative experience when everything you do is questioned.....instead what I have started doing is just being exact myself and then clearly communicating with the to avoid issues or mistakes on their part. For example, instead of micromanaging their movement to ensure they can't range an important model of mine and making the argument about their movement, I just measure carefully between us when I move my pieces and clearly articulate the distance and the fact that their model will not be able to get within range. If you establish this up front it avoids the issue. Same with multiple models- I will measure between them and discuss which of theirs can/cannot get to me, range me, etc....

Just my .02, hopefully something of value in there somewhere. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On ‎8‎/‎24‎/‎2018 at 6:14 PM, whodares said:

I've also quit games even on Turn 1 because the power of bullshit was too strong. Opponent summons 2 Hanged with Kirai on Turn 1 and still kills Kang due to shitty flips? No point in continuing. Opponent Alpha's you with 2 Kentauroi on pre-nerf Nicodem on Turn 1? No point in continuing. It's something I don't like about this game and that's how swingy and OP top resser masters can be if they get the lucky hand Turn 1. There's pretty much nothing you can do if they start with 2 13's in their hand and stay back to stop your alpha strike from hitting them. It's why I'm happy we're going to a new edition and I hope the balance will be better there.

I agree with most of your post, but this would probably get you on my bad opponents list.

I think in the 20 odd games I've faced kirai in she has summoned 2 hanged on the first turn about 18 times, (He has a  well organised card draw engine) so its just what I expect. Quitting just because things look bad misses out on a lot of the game. I've lost masters on the first turn and still gone on to win games, so I'd rather generally play on from the situation.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Adran said:

I agree with most of your post, but this would probably get you on my bad opponents list.

I think in the 20 odd games I've faced kirai in she has summoned 2 hanged on the first turn about 18 times, (He has a  well organised card draw engine) so its just what I expect. Quitting just because things look bad misses out on a lot of the game. I've lost masters on the first turn and still gone on to win games, so I'd rather generally play on from the situation.

There's a big difference between summoning 2 Hanged and summoning them + killing a 10 stone model in a 50 stone crew. That's pretty close to a 30 point swing in 50 stone games on Turn 1. If you manage to come back from that and win, your opponent's skill level is way below your own playing level.

I'd much rather remake the game and hope for less bull---- when it comes to luck because way too many things in Malifaux just boil down to who has the most luck Turn 1-2. I've won games vs others on Turn 1 when my 2 Katanaka Snipers with Sensei Yu + Shenlong special do 4 focused attacks and they kill the Master + Henchman of my opponent. All because I flip severe damage twice and a red Joker. I activate my 2 peasant and shoot and I kill the 2 most important models in his crew 4 activations into the game. Sure, you can try and come back from that, but sometimes you have to be realistic and just remake.

I've had luck in my favor and luck extremely in favor of my opponent. I've seen pre-nerf Nicodem summon 3 Kentauroi Turn 1 of which 2 were topdecked. I then proceeded to get hit by a triple alpha strike of Kentauroi, which killed several of my models and gave him close to a 2-1 activation advantage (on Turn 1). Yeah, no point in continuing that since they can just block whatever scheme you have on you.

Sometimes you just have to be realistic. Not every game is fair and balanced and I'm not gonna spend 3+ hours of my free time watching some other guy have fun while I can't even play the game. If you find playing a losing game fun, go ahead. I don't find that fun at all and I have better things to do, which can include a remake so we can still play a new game.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, whodares said:

There's a big difference between summoning 2 Hanged and summoning them + killing a 10 stone model in a 50 stone crew. That's pretty close to a 30 point swing in 50 stone games on Turn 1. If you manage to come back from that and win, your opponent's skill level is way below your own playing level.

I agree on the difference but me losing a 10ss model is probably my fault, or at least me not understanding their crew.

(And I don't think its really a 30 ss swing. its hard to work out, but you've probably only lost 80% of Kang, since he already has done 20% of his actions,  and the AP and resources going into summoning 2 hanged are quite high, so should be taken out of the plus column. I also almost never have time for a re-rack, so  I'm given the choice or trying to recover from a losing situation vs not playing at all )

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Adran said:

I agree on the difference but me losing a 10ss model is probably my fault, or at least me not understanding their crew.

(And I don't think its really a 30 ss swing. its hard to work out, but you've probably only lost 80% of Kang, since he already has done 20% of his actions,  and the AP and resources going into summoning 2 hanged are quite high, so should be taken out of the plus column. I also almost never have time for a re-rack, so  I'm given the choice or trying to recover from a losing situation vs not playing at all )

Losing the model could be my fault indeed, or you can just have bad luck on flips (hello black joker) and certain models such as Hanged punish you extremely hard for missing that single flip. I personally have problems with Hanged being summonable as they are now and should have gotten the Dreamer - Teddy treatment where Dreamer needs Tannen and the suited 13 OR RJ. Hanged just has too much power for my liking with that ranged non-randomizing half Wounds no Healing attack which is good against pretty much any model.

I'd say the 30 stones are correct as that's the deficit you're playing on for the rest of the game. You'll have 40 stones and your opponent has close to 70 stones worth of models. Bring that into perspective that people were complaining that Lynch and the Viks had a 10 stone advantage on Ours due to 0 cost henchman.

In general our restarting of the game goes rather fast as we'll be playing thesame crews. All it takes is going on the app, generate new schemes and deploy. Takes us about 15 minutes to do. Sure, we have less time to go to 5 rounds and we generally don't make it there, but we both have a more enjoyable and competitive game than the walk-over the previous game would have been.

FYI I actually just brought that Kirai game up because I had it happen to me a couple of weeks ago. I wanted to stop, but decided to continue to see if I could come back. We were trying our for tourneys with a fixed 2 hour time limit, so a come-back there could have happened. It didn't, because I couldn't score anymore after Turn 2 due to the massive disadvantage in crew size. Score was 6-2 when we called the game and 2 was the max I could have scored. Can't deny VP if you don't have models *taps forehead*

But it's something I've been seeing more often lately. People can't seem to put themselves in their opponent's shoes and see the game from his perspective. For tourney, no problem, you play those to win. Casual play is what you do to have fun. Landslide losing without having even a slight chance on comeback and having everything blocked just isn't fun to play. Most people just focus on their own fun and don't watch at their opponent, which could give you a dead giveaway on how fun this game is for him.

I have several people in my own group against who I just won't play against for this reason and I'm not the only one who shares that sentiment. I pretty much told him: You have fun playing YOUR game, I have fun playing OUR game. He was pretty mad at me for that though :P

• Respectfully Disagree 1

I will say I was his opponent in this game and that was just the final thing.

He had kicked off about my extra flip so putting it back and I offered to shuffle etc but he was saying I should discard the card. Whereas later at least twice he flipped 3 cards for Francois with mostly picture cards but I just played it as if they were for the next flips. So 2 different reactions straight away 

Next for me was reminding him of things that would have and did change his play and to then not have that in return felt bad so it was all adding up. And tbh him saying he wasn't paying attention to the game shows he had no interest in it or his opponent which is just bad. 

This compounded on top of the fact it had been nearly and hour and half to get to about 2nd or 3rd activation in turn 2 and I was just fed up.

Its not like I quit because I was losing as tbh I had the game in the bag with all 3 symbols markers easily mine and no real way for him to get more than 1, plus Levi could easily kill off his remaining minion for me to get max points. No I was just at a point where I was annoyed and I said to him that it wouldn't be an enjoyable game for him if I carried on as I wasn't in the mindset.

Edit: Also win or lose I don't think I have had a bad game on vassal with anyone else and certainly no issues with other opponents, and nothing that has made me quit (even Ryan killing titania turn 1 with lady j). Oh and if you are going to play a game please try to pay attention to your opponent and the game, they are giving up their time as well so not paying attention to it is just plain rude.

• Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

Steve, thank you for answering. The game was but a final drop in the bucket of impressions that I do not make a good opponent, and could definitely make an effort to be better.

The triple flip on Francois did not sit well with me, and I wish we had flipped those cards again. I offered to if I recall correctly, and you explicitly stated we should take them. It was a mistake, and I did not wish to take advantage of it. Similarly, I merely found putting the 10 of rams back weird because you had already flipped a 4 for your attack flip afterwards, and shuffled that one in to flip another card. It just felt to me like you were taking advantage of the fact that you flipped a 10 last, and wanted that on the attack flip (but I may well be wrong). 

It did however, make me think of another point, and that is consistancy. I like to play as clean as possible, and I think it'd be a good idea to establish in advance how to handle superfluous card flips. We could've avoided that whole debacle if we had done that. 

From where I'm standing, there's three ways to go about it:

1. Flip the cards back on top, and redo all actions as though they'd follow the original order. 

Makes some sense on a deterministic level, but can lead to some very complex retracing, and is therefore only realistic if you've "just" flipped the cards, and even then, the knowledgd of which cards are coming next has the potential to warp the game. Not how I'd handle it, but I totally get why some people like it. 

2. Shuffle the cards back in. I likexthis better, as aside from it being revealed that certain cards are not in a player's hand (which is only really relevant in cases of jokers I'd say) there is nothing taking away from the random/unknown nature of the deck of cards. If one is consistant with it, it's probably a reasonable solution, although there is a danger that cards are mixed as they are flipped, and suddenly it's unclear which card was the one that did not count (and in the heat of the moment it's very tempting to argue for the one that would be most advantageous to oneself). 

3. Leave the card in the pile. "Once the soup has spilled, you can't get it back into the bowl", as my grandma likes to say. The only caveat to this is that it brings you closer to reflipping the deck, but even that balances out odds-wise if, and only if you are consistant with it. I think that's how I will handle the matter from now on (pending agreement from my opponent of course), to curb future disagreements before they come up. 

I was paying 100% attention to the game and never opened another browser window during those two hours. I was merely looking at the app to figure out what my next move was going to be, as, as you and I have both pointed out, the game was going on long and I did not wish to drag it out further with my analysis paralysis. Your anger is understandable, but it hurts a little, as I did care about the game, and still do. 

I agree, the game was very much undecided, and as such being handed a slop-dash victory doesn't sit well with me either. I am back in my home country now, and as such will be rather busy (I imagine you are too), but if I manage to dig up the save file, how would you like to revisit our match?