Nef

Iron Painter 2018 - Round One

33 minutes ago, Kai said:

Also the voting will be to the full images. So it will be easier when you vote! 

Now that you're all awake across the pond, will the voting begin today or tomorrow?

Edit: Never mind, I didn't see the earlier post

23 hours ago, Whirler said:

I was hoping to take some pictures of my entry in outside natural light. But it seems Tropical Storm Gordon had different plans 😮

But I guess at least as long as it doesn't make our power go away before I have a chance to photograph and upload it's not too bad 😀

OoohI hope it cooperates!!

11 hours ago, argailwall said:

Time for some stats! (That's what I do)

Here is an interesting one

Iron Painter 2017 Round 1: OSL
Participants: 249
Submitions  : 176
DNF (29,3%)   : 73 

Iron Painter 2018 Round 1: Burn it All!
Participants: 150
Submitions  : 106
DNF (29,3%)   : 44 

The DNF of round 1 is 29,3% both in 2017 and 2018!

Wow, we dropped 100 people since last year. 

• Like 1

Iron painter gets some bad press as well. Is it a minis painting contest or diorama contest? Is it for fun and if so, why the big prize money? Personally I do it all for fun and don't worry about the details. I mean, I paint ponies, how could that be serious? Lol

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

13 hours ago, LordZombie said:

Iron painter gets some bad press as well. Is it a minis painting contest or diorama contest? Is it for fun and if so, why the big prize money? Personally I do it all for fun and don't worry about the details. I mean, I paint ponies, how could that be serious? Lol

It`s a "make a good impression" contest in the 1st round. After that in gold and silver, it`s a painting contest :D

Also, dioramas are almost mandatory, and I`m also not really happy about that because it's not a diorama contest.

3 hours ago, DarthSlider said:

It`s a "make a good impression" contest in the 1st round. After that in gold and silver, it`s a painting contest :D

Also, dioramas are almost mandatory, and I`m also not really happy about that because it's not a diorama contest.

It's not a diorama contest but it is a theme based contest and it's very hard to sell a theme without using some form of display basing. In a real live painting competition, you don't see many basic game based models (there's usually a category for gameplay models). Even in a single figure category the model will usually have a more elaborate basing and plinth and it wont be on a 30mm plastic game base. 

To me a painting competition isn't just about painting, it's also how you complement your painting with an appropriate "frame", but when you throw a fixed theme into the equation too, then you need to sell that theme and if that means you need to do a display base or diorama, then that's what you do. Remember half your points come from selling the theme so it's just as important as the painting part. 

There are big prizes for this so, to me, if you want to win then you aim high. If you want to paint for fun, then you can also but you need to accept you wont likely be in line for a prize but Wyrd are pretty generous about qualifying for other prizes via the raffle. 

I am between the two. I enter competitions because I want to improve so always my aim is to get into gold or silver so that I get judges feedback. That's how I learn to improve. I also have a huge amount of fun because I try new things and I love working with the themes. It speaks to my inner creative. If I win something then that's amazing but it's not the end of the world as long as I know I did the best I could. 

Just have fun and paint to the best level you can :D

• Like 8

I personally just use this contest to paint models I already have and sometimes build diorama's if I have time of feel like it. This round I had a model I wanted to paint for awhile and perfectly fit the theme so I went for it. I welcome feedback on my work. I had limited time with a week away on vacation but I got it done the day before lol I know I need to practice more wet blending as that may have helped out with some blending on my flame work. It was a hell of a lot of flame work though since the model was mostly flame lol

I use all the contests I enter as an excuse to paint my minis, so doing display bases and dioramas are a bit outside my intentions. (Unless I have an excellent idea I probably won't do any)

I don't expect winning anything, but I enter competitions to push my own limits. If I happen to get some good scores from the voting however, that would be a most welcome bonus, and a confirmation that I going somewhere.

Most important part though is to have fun doing so, and even though we're only at round 1 it's been fun so far :D

Looking forwards to the tally and next round, and good luck to all participants ;)

I use competitions like this to get motivated to paint stuff. Last year i ended up with ~5 more cool display pieces in my cabinet. I also really appreciate the theme aspect of this competition and my personal feeling is that doing dioramas is the blunt way of solving the theme. It is also problematic to take photos that will give your piece a nice presentation when you have to take pictures of a big diorama. 

I think (or at least hope) that the judges give exactly 0 extra points for a diorama vs a regular display base (other than if the theme is fulfilled better ofc), so i chose to spend my precious time focusing on painting instead of building. 

Ps. i suck at dioramas and large base building so im obviously biased :)

26 minutes ago, Dirty said:

I use competitions like this to get motivated to paint stuff. Last year i ended up with ~5 more cool display pieces in my cabinet. I also really appreciate the theme aspect of this competition and my personal feeling is that doing dioramas is the blunt way of solving the theme. It is also problematic to take photos that will give your piece a nice presentation when you have to take pictures of a big diorama. 

I think (or at least hope) that the judges give exactly 0 extra points for a diorama vs a regular display base (other than if the theme is fulfilled better ofc), so i chose to spend my precious time focusing on painting instead of building. 

You last one is far from bad;))

also I agree with your motivation- at the end you are with 5 cool pieces and lot of memories of overcoming obstacles 

I do have to admit it's a bit disheartening to see dioramas as practically necessary when it's not explicitly a diorama contest. I will still have a lot of fun spending extra time effort and creativity on pieces that will later be used in play! ...but it would have been nice to go up against other people doing standard figures. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

I did diorama, but I didn't plan to :D Generally I wanted to spend a lot less time on the 1st entry in this contest, but then the theme came and I didn't want to go with flames everywhere, so my idea with fireballed butteflies needed some proper meadow and that equals diorama. Also, I always wanted to paint Lightining Bugs and I generally don't play Malifaux now (painting only, I'm a big fan of Wyrd miniatures), so I just went with what I liked the most.

21 hours ago, Dirty said:

I love your piece :D It is just perfect in my opinion and I feel a bit jelous becuase I'd never came up with an idea like yours :)

• Like 1