Whose your favorite Guild Master?

Regelridderen

Lady J,  my first master. In the (dark) grey world of Malifaux, she seems to be a true do-gooder (i have a weakness for good guys).

And gameplay-wise, rushing to the enemies with a "El Mayor" + "Fear not the sword" buffed Lady J has some strange satisfying feeling that i can't describe with words...:ram:D

I really hope M3E nails the thematic crews, and a Lady J + death marshalls + some "Guild Marshall" henchman/enforcers would be a viable and well-rounded crew.

• Like 1

←My icon.

I was struggling between her and Rasp when starting the game and finally getting her as my first master. The reason however was Death Marshalls instead of the Lady herself. Who could even say no to  a flaming skeleton marshal that can put his enemy into pine box. But now I am loving the Lady more than the Marshalls that I even have 3 models of the Lady.

She is a wonderful melee master with great damage output and durability. She was struggling with mobility that opponent could easily feed her with some cheap model to prevent her threat. Thanks Wyrd that she got her "flash spell" in wave 5 which makes her one of the best guild master now. And the model exciting thing is that she is about to become our MVBeater that will show up in almost every guild list in M3E.

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, admiralvorkraft said:

Another for Lucius. Because winning the game with only Lucius left on the board with a fat stack of soulstones looking pleased with himself... It's a great feeling.

... and then they reveal take prisoner on him! Still worth it! :D

• Haha 1

Lucius. The model looks so cool, and different from what you usually see in miniature games. Plus I like his playstyle where the leader makes other models better but almost never attacks the enemies himself. And with that being said, it may sound a little bit strange that Lady Justice is a close second for my favourite master. But she such a cool concept, and the Death Marshals are certainly winning the prize for being "Most Metal in Malifaux".

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Michael Curran said:

I do not care for this 2 master capability.  I hope it is deterred by cost in soulstones.

Ihope they are fairly costed, seems dumb tochange the game so that players can use multiple masters and then artificially inflate their cost so that they are barely playable.

Henchman Nekima is currently a lot more expensive than the next most expensive beater and still most neverborn lists use her as their beater because she is that good. I wouldn't be surprised if master Nekima and Lady Justice come out worth their stone cost and become popular picks in their respective factions. Concentration of force is a powerful tool in this game. It is often better to have one model feeding another model extra ap compared to having two models that have about as powerful ap on different places. That is also why Yasinori with several support models is pretty popular in Thunders.

As long as I don't need to face double summoners who triple the enemy model count each turn I'm ok. I suspect the difference between hench-Nek and master-Nek will be barely noticed, she is already almost at master level.

Taking LJ or Francisco AND Phiona sounds like a tough choice to me and the current campaign rating for a master is 15ss so I would assume somewhere around there is where they'll end up in cost.

In a perfect world, a second master would end up costed so that you really have to consider if you want to include her. She will bring a lot, but the cost required could be used for other good things instead. Do I want quantity or quality? Like a Peacekeeper today. In my opinion, two (or more) masters should be playable, but more of a niche thing for elite lists. I would not like if it becomes the norm. 

So I hope that the beta testing manages to avoid both that a second master brings more value than the alternatives (Yasunori or Nekima level) and that a second master simply costs too much for what she does (pre-buff Pale Rider level).

I wouldn't be surprised if some masters end up with auto-include for other masters. I would prefer it if one master was still the norm but once you open the box... Brutal alphas are dominating current gameplay and what is more brutal than a second master?

2 hours ago, Ludvig said:

I wouldn't be surprised if some masters end up with auto-include for other masters. I would prefer it if one master was still the norm but once you open the box... Brutal alphas are dominating current gameplay and what is more brutal than a second master?

Huh?  I thought in GG2018 brutal alphas were out and cagey play and lures were in.

25 minutes ago, 4thstringer said:

Huh?  I thought in GG2018 brutal alphas were out and cagey play and lures were in.

I kind of meant current as in m2e to be honest. But apart from Ply I still think slaughtering your enemy early (in particular taking out an opposing summoner) seems like a pretty solid tactic. Sucking a model in and killing it first turn on your side of the table is also exactly as much of an alpha strike as running to their side in my book.

I’m thinking there may be strategies where it will be advantageous, like something that requires you to split up and run as basically two crews.

This is idle speculation, but the change to charge, ice pillars on small bases, and Wyrd saying that models will be more mobile and starting from larger deployment zones, leads me to think there may be more blocking terrain on 3e tables.  Maybe not Infinity-crazy, but enough the a master may not be able to reach the whole crew.  So running two masters to lead discrete units could be viable.