Gaston's Neverborn Dojo and Battle Reports

Gaston

On 5/29/2019 at 11:18 AM, Hawkoon said:

I might have misunderstood, but I'm not sure you're playing grim feast right. Looks like you are grabbing 2 corpses with one action, or using a :ToS-Fast:action twice.

As far as I know the only ways to grow in one turn is by eating a corpse then killing a model, kill 2 models or have Nekima hurl a corpse and then either kill a model or eat a corpse.

Ohhhhhh no, I was jacking it up even worse than you think. But thanks to you pointing it out, I was hopefully able to correct everything for this next game!

• Like 1

Another round with Nephilim, looking to improve from previous mistakes!

Plant Explosives

Take Prisoners
Harness the Leyline [Nekima, Leveticus]
Vendetta
Search the Ruins [Nekima, Leveticus]
Dig Their Graves

Nekima, 6ss
-Inhuman Reflexes
-Blood Hunter
Mature Nephilim
Young Nephilim
Black Blood Shaman
Lilitu
Terror Tot 
Serena Bowman

Leveticus, 7ss
-Hollow Waif
-Hollow Waif
Rusty Alyce
Ashes and Dust
Marlena Webster
Necropunk
Necropunk
Necropunk

I won deployment and forced him to split. My biggest concern was that there wasn’t much terrain in the center of the table, turning that into a very scary killing field for Leveticus and Rusty. My goal was to work up the sides, and figured he would do the same with the Necropunks.

7IkNxEUWGFs9cztNaIHu26SPNKdZ_X22TauaU3FE

Turn 1 Summary

Nekima stones for cards. She wins initiative and allows Leveticus to go first.

Waifs and Marlena walk around. The Blood Hunter regurgitates a corpse, then the Shaman accidentally kills him again, sigh. Tot uses Grim Feast to remove a corpse marker. One of the Necropunks leaps and walks up, Lilitu does some card draw before moving up and Luring Marlena. In return Ashes rolls on up and charges Lilitu for 6 damage (take damage to do damage trigger). The Young Nephilim charges into Ashes for 4 damage total, then Leveticus double walks up and blasts poor Lilitu to outer space. The Mature uses Fly with Me to bring up Serena, then charges Ashes for a super impressive 1 damage in 2 attacks. More Necropunk leaping, then Nekima double walks, charges a ‘Punk for 4 damage, and hits it again via Blood for Blood. Serena is able to shoot Marlena for 2 damage, and finally Rusty just walks into position.

YBwJY7mhmWA2FUPk5JxhVWsa2vzpKfPYNC9LoMm6

Turn 2 Summary

If nothing else, Nekima has pass tokens to work with now! Both Nekima and Leveticus stone for cards, Nekima wins initiative and leads off.

The Mature starts the round by discombobulating Ashes and Dust, then charging Marlena for 2 damage (I think she may have had 2 health left at this point). A Necropunk is able to leap and place a Bomb marker, so to head any more of that off, Nekima uses Blood for Blood to kill the one she is engaging. Then she drops his Bomb marker for herself, and charges and kills another Necropunk with Red Joker damage. Marlena is able to heal herself, but it takes two disengages to get away from the Mature. Serena is able to put 5 shooting damage on the Ashen Core and use Hole in the World to place it far enough away that Ashes and Dust cannot reform this turn. Leveticus transfers 4 wounds off of the Ashen Core and onto a Waif, he then shoots the disengaged Mature twice, managing 5 damage (miss, Red Joker damage). The Young Nephilim grabs a Corpse marker with Grim Feast (can’t let a good Lilitu go to waste), then charges the Necropunk for only 1 damage. Waifs walk, the Shaman rides up the Tot and places a Scheme marker on the centerline. The Ashen Core drops one of his two bombs. The Tot walks, drops a scheme marker on the centerline, and removes his second Corpse marker to grow into a Young Nephilim. Rusty does the last meaningful action this turn, shooting down the poor, innocent Mature Nephilim who did nothing to nobody.

Nekima: 1 VP (Explosives)
Levi: 1 VP (Explosives)

HpIgffg3UHsrrhMlU5aupOQOnu0YYaXo0oEWsgZ7

Turn 3 Summary

Leveticus stones for cards. Nekima wins Initiative, but passes it to Leveticus.

Leveticus starts things off by walking and ripping the Black Blood Shaman to pieces. The Young Nephilim gets 3 swings on the Necropunk with an Onslaught trigger, kills him, and grimly feasts upon the Corpse to grow up into another Mature. The Ashen Core drops a scheme marker on the centerline, so Serena shoots it (Black Joker damage), then shoots it again to trigger Hole in the World to place it 6” closer to Nekima. Marlena heals herself again, walks in range to apply her no healing aura to Serena and shoots her for 2 damage. Nekima does what Nekima does, which in this case is kills the Ashen Core and drops another Bomb marker (recovered from Necropunk #2). Dust Storm and the other Young Nephilim scheme around. Rusty puts 5 damage onto Serena, dropping her to 1 wound remaining. The Waifs….walk.

Nekima: 2 VP (Plant Explosives)
Levi: 3 VP (Harness the Leyline, Plant Explosives)

FGuGpZUYcQ5wP17vrKmJCMa7olsgDTlygl7mzpAl

Turn 4 Summary

Leveticus and Nekima stone for cards. Nekima wins the Initiative.

Serena is in a bad spot, so she decides to flip the Red Joker on damage to kill Marlena. This enables her to use Bottle of Painkillers to heal back up, but instead she flips the Black Joker! With that nonsense out of the way, she decides to go out in a blaze of glory, shooting Rusty for 2 damage, only to die to the Unmade trigger. Leveticus walks and drops a scheme marker. He uses Essence Transfer to heal Rusty 2 damage. The Young Nephilim drops a bomb, flies, and schemes. Dust Storm does similarly. Nekima walks twice and drops a scheme marker on the centerline.

O1kvd3EyB6WoI4pOUcO9YXVmR5yLP1bH9ySzNIxi

At this point the game gets called, both because it is late and I should win on schemes. I will score Detonate Explosives, Harness the Leyline, and Search the Ruins this turn, for 5 VP total. My opponent will be able to score Search the Ruins this turn, bringing him up to 4 VP. Going into the next turn, he has no more bombs to drop, whereas I have 1 on the Mature and 1 on Nekima (theoretically the Mature could also pick up one of Leveticus’s Bombs on Turn 4 as well). The Young Nephilim is positioned such that he can Interact, Fly with Me, and Interact again on two different pieces of terrain. At which point Nekima just needs to drop a 3rd scheme marker and bomb to score 2 more VP, or the Mature needs to drop a bomb or scheme to score at least 1 VP. It is super reasonable to expect my opponent to be able to score Search the Ruins again on Turn 5, meaning my opponent maxes out on 5 VP and I will max at 5 to 7 VP depending on what goes horribly wrong.

Lessons Learned:

It was a crazy tight game and my opponent was really burning through my models quickly! Leveticus is always a really tough match-up I find, especially if you are bringing a melee crew and you cannot pick back on them from afar. Also those Necropunks are seriously no joke, be on the lookout for those guys, wow.

As with the last game, I am just the worst at using the Blood Hunter and Lilitu. The Def 4 just feels like it gets her killed every time. Otherwise I worked on using the Grow mechanic correctly, and Nekima remained as deadly and dynamic as ever. I was pleased that Hole in the World finally worked on Ashes and Dust, my main opponents are Outcast players and that model (along with Rusty Alyce) just terrorizes me every time we play. I had hoped to use the Lure to sneak kill Marlena a bit early in the game, but it was not be be with Ashes backing her up and soaking all the attention instead.

I do wonder if I chose my schemes poorly, as both required laying out a significant number of scheme markers. The crew itself isn’t large and doesn’t have any ability to efficiently drop scheme markers. Then the terrain discouraged moving into the middle of the table, which makes it even harder to harness Leylines. 

@Kolath

• Like 2

Maybe you should have the shaman attack something else? I usually have him stabbing Nekima or Mature since they will survive the hit, then heal 1 from the trigger, 1 from blot clot and regen 2 when they activate. Even if you do get a severe on the double negative, they will be healed full when they activate.

Have you tried Hayreddin yet? He might not look it, but he's actually quite sturdy when he's tag-teaming Nekima or a mature because of revitalizing icour.

• Agree 1

Lol, good advice on not attacking poor piggy.

I haven't tried Hayreddin yet, but I have him on order. He by far seems to be the most interesting and interactive piece in the keyword, and I am really keen to try him. That's 5 min damage, right???

1 hour ago, Gaston said:

Lol, good advice on not attacking poor piggy.

I haven't tried Hayreddin yet, but I have him on order. He by far seems to be the most interesting and interactive piece in the keyword, and I am really keen to try him. That's 5 min damage, right???

Adding in black blood from the damage he takes on the trigger, yes that's roughly the same as min. 5. Just remember that RI is only on enemy attacks, not when you cut yourself on purpose. I'd be a bit careful using that trigger too much or he'll quickly find himself dead, but taking 1 damage for a potential "death by black blood" could well be worth it.

• Thanks 1

Hayreddin finally arrived in the mail, so once more we fly off with Nekima! This week my opponent took Ophelia, which I am pretty sure is awful for me. As Neverborn I have really struggled playing into gunlines since Closed Beta even, Von Schill, Parker, etc. and I don’t have a ton of faith in the Nephilim keyword’s survivability into a gunline. In that vein, I ended up hiring in Hinamatsu to act as a bullet magnet and tank, with Serena to back him/her? up with healing. The rest of my game plan was to do my best to plant my explosives on turn 1, chase down his scheme runners, and generally force all play to be on his side of the table. Following those thoughts I took Search (playing on my opponent’s side of the table anyway) and Hold Up (trying to take two schemey schemes last game was just too much of a load on my AP).

Plant Explosives

Breakthrough [Ophelia]
Search the Ruins [Nekima, Ophelia]
Hold Up [Nekima]
Take Prisoner
Vendetta

Nekima, 4ss
-Inhuman
-Blood Hunter
Hayreddin
Hinamatsu
Serena Bowman
Young Nephilim
Young Nephilim
Terror Tot

Ophelia, 4ss
-Young Lacroix x3
Francois
Raphael
Rami
Sammy
Meris
Gracie
-Tactical Trenchcoat

Apologies again for the terrain being a bit rough, I hope to be upgrading to something a bit more acceptable and Malifaux-y soon.

hjZfn0uzEEAEODa06skg_0PH6Lszt7I8FSqzQGrO

Turn 1 Summary

Nekima wins the initiative 

A Young Lacroix gives Ophelia the Trash Cannon, the Blood Hunter regurgitates. Merris walks up the flank and schemes, a Tot eats a corpse and walks to hide behind the central house. Another Young Lacroix gives itself a Bottle Flinger, and Gracie rides up with Rami. Nekima passes twice with tokens, so then Sammy walks up. My right flank Young Nephilim walks, does Fly with Me, and drops a Bomb marker. Yet another Young Lacroix calls for an adult on Ophelia, while Hinamatsu walks up to the side of the central house. Raphael takes a focused shot on Hinamatsu for 6 damage (4 after armor). This forces Serena to move up and heal it for 3. Then Francois pops Hinamatsu with two shots, first for 1 damage, but the second for 6 damage (down to 1 after soulstone prevent and armor, but still…). My left flank Young Nephilim does his bombing run. Ophelia walks up, misses Hinamatsu, but the second shot is 5 damage (down to 1 damage after armor and soulstone prevent). Nekima responds by...walking three times. Not super inspiring.

lq18txRA_iDbNab50nceLDHACtTMBCJfyEZWB1L2

Turn 2 Summary

Nekima, stone cards (I have a very strong hand this turn). Ophelia cheats in a Red Joker for initiative.

Francois pushes up 3”, then charges Nekima. He hits her for 4 damage, then she is able to Butterfly Jump back. He then puts Adversary on her with Gremlin Menace, which puts her in a realllly bad spot. Serena heals Hinamatsu 4 damage, walks and drops a scheme marker. Merris walks and schemes again. Nekima attempts to get away from Francois with her Shove Aside trigger, but she has serious issues hitting him, and only connects on the final attack (at least it is with a Red Joker on damage). A Young Lacroix tries to pull Francois out, but fails. The left flank Young Nephilim is able to Fly with Me, drop a scheme marker, and charge Merris. He connects with moderate damage and the Onslaught trigger, then again with Severe damage; killing her and taking her bomb. Another Young Lacroix succeeds in pulling Francois out, he shoots at Nekima with an injured gun, so she is forced to cheat to make him miss (and continues to Butterfly Jump to try to get to the other side of the forest to block LoS). Blood Hunter coughs up a corpse, Raphael shoots Nekima for 5 damage (2 is soulstoned). Unfortunately to save Nekima I have to make a sacrifice, so Hinamatsu walks and charges Ophelia, successfully distracts Sammy. Gracie charges into Hinamatsu, and Rami actually finishes the puppet off. In the meantime, the right flank Nephilim is able to walk and scheme, the Tot eats the second corpose to grow into a Young and walk and scheme. Ophelia responds by blowing away the fresh Young Nephilim and having Sammy turn a scheme marker into a Flying Piglet. Hayreddin is able to put the scheme back down, but cannot get to the piglet, who makes a beeline for my deployment zone.

Nekima: 2 VP (Plant Explosives, Search the Ruins) 
Ophelia: 1 VP (Breakthrough)

_MksKlSTGWSjD6o7X90tVWFzffQ9kgXt84igvR-J

Turn 3 Summary

Ophelia wins the initiative. 

Ophelia misses all three shots into Serena, which is fine by me. But then she Accomplices Raphael, who puts 3 damage into the young lady. The Blood Hunter is able to charge the Flying Piglet and burn both of its Focus conditions to kill it in 2 attacks, because who doesn’t love pig on pig action. Gracie charges into Serena and triggers Eternal on her. Hayreddin is able to put 1 damage onto Sammy (after shielding) and then hits her for another with Blood for Blood. Rami pops 6 damage onto my Young Nephilim on the right flank (grumble). The Young heals up and charges Rami, leaving him on 1 health as well. A Young Lacroix maneuvers Francois around, Serena walks to use Gracie to block LoS from the Gremlins and heals 1. Francois walks and charges Hayreddin, he cheats the Red Joker to hit, manages 4 damage. The flurry attack misses. Right flank Young Nephilim feasts and walks twice towards the back end of Ophelia’s table edge. Nekima walks twice, charges Sammy, misses, and uses Blood for Blood. Sammy uses Jynx to bury Nekima and Serena. A Young Lacroix pulls Sammy and Francois back to it.

Nekima: 3 VP (Plant Explosives)
Ophelia: 1 VP

SMnz1Y_DUlA0b4s1NL-G9HL41fIrgigU343Jba3F

Turn 4 Summary

Nekima cheats to win initiative on +4.

Hayreddin flys over, puts up Life From Blood and hits himself with Black Blood Pustule. This converts Francois, Sammy, and a Young Lacroix into 3 Terror Tots. I am pleased. Then Ophelia goes. She puts two shots with blast into Hayredding to kill him, swaps guns and uses the Plink to kill another Tot and then Sidearm shots to kill a second Tot. Then she Accomplices Rami, who pushes away from the Young Nephilim, shoots and kills it, then gets the free shot trigger to shoot and kill the 3rd tot. 2 activations, 5 kills. Blood Hunter decides to charge Gracie to hold her up, actually does 5 damage (down to 3) and puts Slow on her. A Young Lacroix pulls back Ophelia. The lone remaining Young Nephilim drops his bomb and walks back towards the table center. Gracie chews on the Blood Hunter (to death). Nekima pops out of the Young Nephilim, charges Gracie and gets her down to 1 wound, then kills with Blood for Blood. A confused Bayou Gremlin pops out of the Trenchcoat. Francois shoots Nekima for 4 damage, then the Young Nephilim for 4 damage. Serena heals herself and walks and drops a bomb. 

Nekima: 4 VP (Plant Explosives)

Y_8Xkrgm8u5V9c1ryCVz5TnuRUdUAnEEsojqENid

Turn 5 Summary

Ophelia wins the initiative.

Ophelia walks, focuses, and shoots Nekima, killing her. She then accomplices Rami, who tries to finish off Serena, but only gets through the Eternal. The Young Nephilim drops the final scheme marker for Search the Ruins, and we call the game there.

Nekima: 6 VP (Plant Explosives, Search the Ruins)

Lessons Learned: Holy shit, Ophelia puts out an obscene amount of damage. Like….doing this write up was insane. My army was basically out of steam(punk), with a Young Nephilm on 2 wounds and Serena on 4 wounds and he still had Ophelia, Raphael, and Rami ready to blast away. I think my overall approach to the game was good, playing on his side of the table, keeping any schemers from getting past me, and planting a lot of bombs and scheme markers early. My kill priority was Merris, Sammy, Gracie, in that order.

My original thought was to have Nekima take out Merris, until Francois completely locked her down, and then I just got straight lucky with the Young Nephilim (my opponent had also burned through his hand early in that turn). Hinamatsu did exactly what was needed, but I made a huge positioning error Turn 1 by moving in range for focus/shoot or just shoot/shoot. I should have stayed just out in order to make them spend AP walking, that was just dumb on my part and cost me a lot of resources early on in the game. For Hold Up, every time I thought I would have a chance to score it, he’d just remove one of my models, Ophelia is seriously, very very deadly and gunlines are just no joke.

@Macdaddy353

• Like 3

Cheers for the report, it's always good to read others games. I wanted to say 2 things, firstly that's a very open board that is going to make shooting forces very strong, and secondly the Ophelia crew looked like it did tonnes of damage, but you have to remember that it was at the cost of scoring vp and at the end of the day it doesn't matter who did the most damage, vps win. 

• Agree 3

Wow, thanks for all the replies!

I fully recognize that my terrain is...lacking...to say the least. @Macdaddy353 and I came from a primarily Warmachine background, so that is the terrain we are working with at the moment (and this is a big improvement from a month ago!!!). With the recent Miniature Market sales I am hoping to upgrade things soon though. When we do play with @Kolath he has crazy good terrain (see the Leveticus match for example). Even on his terrain though, the shooting crews have really shone. Example is that Levi game, where Levi and Rusty pretty much owned the center of the table. I might also be a bit more sensitive to it after listening to the Schemes and Stones MOMCon podcast, where they spent a ton of time highlighting ranged crews (not to mention 90% of Neverborn guns are Rng 8, so might be a bit jealous).

@Adran, I totally agree about the damage vs scheming, which is why my goal was to be in his face and pin him in the deployment zone at the cost of my crew. Just man, have to give mad respect for the silly amount of damage she put out though (which to draw the parallels feels very similar to playing into Leveticus for example).

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

As the Ophelia player it’s worth noting I have a handful of models that ignore concealment and/or cover or I just have ways to start adding positives to duels a la focus or adversary So terrain is only so effective if it’s not flat blocking LoS

honestly the houses did a great job protecting tots and such till I either moved up or they pushed towards my lines.

one thing about this particular crew is I am going to have to replace one of my workhorse models (Raphael, rammi, or Gracie) with a scheme runner. Gunline crews seem to struggle with the more dynamic schemes like plant explosives.

Having said all that Ophelia is still stupid strong the game could have swung multiple times at pivotal points (Raphael not killing heyreddin was huge as was merris randomly dying to double severe damage) considering I barely left deployment and the game was a lot closer than the score suggested I’m pretty impressed and somewhat concerned  with how strong gunlines are.

It certainly gets weird comparing TItania to Nekima.

On one hand, I like Nekima because she is easy and after a long work week I can plop her down on Friday night and just push her forward into enemies.

But she doesn't really bring any defenses against much of anything, and she seems to have a comparable playstyle to Titania. Titania brings a whole lot of concealment, and hard to wound, and armor, and unimpeded to at least compete a bit with losing flight. Damage output wise, I'm not sure there is a huge drop off (although I'd say that there is one). I'd put forward that what you gain in defensive tech more than offsets the drop in mobility and damage between the two (and that while the drop is noticeable, it is slight, and surviving longer is a damage buff too). Also Titania has a deeper hiring pool in keyword and better leverages out of keyword models. 

What really gets me dojoing Nekima is the indirect damage--how she is able to circumvent distract, or terror via Black Blood. Ironically a lot of this centers around Masochistic Thoughts from Lelu to add an extra damage. I was playing with combining him with a BBS and a Tot. The Shaman uses Fly with Me and drops the Tot, then pustules twice, and heals the Tot at least once with Blood Clot. Comes out to 4 damage with no resist. So things like that call to me for Nekima much more than chop chop.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

First official tournament time! I tend to view tournaments as a great way to practice having 3 games in one day, and I came with the intent of diversity--playing a different master each round rather than just focusing on one singular one.  A special shout-out to @Kolath for running one of the best organized and professional tournaments I have seen in any game, and for the amazing boards and terrain set ups!

I did not take any notes, so this is all memory, so please forgive the brevity and if I make any mistakes, accuracy wise. I am also sure I got the order of all the activations wrong too. :)

Game #1

Turf War on Wedge Deployment
- Detonate Charges 
- Harness the Leyline 
- Power Ritual
- Assassinate
- Deliver a Message

My opponent was playing Ressers, which to me are primarily melee, so I decided to try my luck with Dreamer. I played differently than I had been previously with him, rather than going with a lot of henchmen and enforcers, I opted for Lucid spam. Additionally a melee centric opponent was going to be a nice change from Leveticus blasting away at me I hoped.

Dreamer, 5ss
-Lord Chompy
-Butterfly Jump
Daydream
Daydream
Daydream
Alp
Stitched
Stitched
Coppelius
Serena Bowman

McMourning
-Zombie Chihuahua
Flesh Construct
Rouge Necromancy
Sebastian
Kentauroi
-Grave Spirit Touch
Kentauroi
-Grave Spirit Touch

Deployment

aGbsx_uVeX8RYJzcFBRUf3j4Zi2Kn1XttLE02epx

Turn 1 Summary

I sat around and wasted a bunch of activations while he moved up. We both flipped some turf markers (he actually even flipped the center one). Rouge Necromancy moved too close, and ended up eating two Stitched Gambles, Serena shot, and Lord Chompy. Dreamer summoned an Insidious who Distracted the Flesh Construct. 

YkbDaza6UbBEgzinexO5rikkqmGTRN43_EIE1yR6

Turn 2 Summary

McMourning went in on Serena, but failed to kill her. Very cleverly he used Rancid Transplant to move the Distracted over to her. I ate up a Flesh Construct. An Alp got summoned in and was able to charge a Kentauroi to lock him down a bit. The other Kentauroi went for the corner. Daydreams pulled Coppelius around and he charged in on it. At some point I scored Leyline, Serena delivers a message and pills up. Both score turf.

FP8OHmmUNppy0yXlXos3bNRiGaJHCAqE7T6rj18n

Turn 3 Summary

McMourning gives Dreamer a message. Sebastian and puppy both go down. Alp flips a Turf marker for me. Coppelius nearly kills a Kentauroi. Kentauroi score Power Ritual. I score Turf, but he no longer has 2 flipped. 

viGdC_GOKQt_M-W8iCJPhrlfZCBmBZZTov3uxCPj

McMourning concedes from there. At least one Kentauroi is gonna eat it next turn, leaving him with McMourning and the other in the far corner, while I run amok and score.

Final, 8-3

So pretty solid win. Lucid Dream spam is wowsers good. Also actually playing into not a gunline helped me out a lot I think. Coppelius is, as always, my hero.

Game #2

Corrupted Idols on Standard Deployment
- Detonate Charges
- Dig Their Graves
- Hold Up Their Forces
- Take Prisoner
- Vendetta

Coming into this I knew my opponent had Zoraida and Mah. Eager to avoid a Hag-off, I went ahead and declared Marcus instead (who I thought was pretty reasonable into this).

Marcus, 5ss
-Jackalope
Cojo
Myranda
Adze
Paul Crockett
Razorspine Rattler
-Ancient Pact
Sabertooth Cerberus
-Ancient Pact

Zoraida
Bad JuJu
First Mate
Silurid
Silurid
Will o’ the Wisp
Grootslang

Deployment

TpB36EXtNOYrsNaY2g9WurdRnfeV9SIOr0FRHOxr

Turn 1 Summary

Marcus hands out Flight to the Adze, Teeth and Claws to the Jackalope, and Camouflage to the Rattler and Cerberus (attempt to limit Zoraida Obeys). He is able to use the Grootslang to push the Idol up the middle. First Mate gets in deep and puts the Adze on 1 Wd. JuJu is able to ambush, walk, charge into Myranda and land 4 damage on her (BJ defense). Rattler puts 2 and Poison on a Silurid, but it Butterfly Jumps away.

sFr-u662xtfIkRFRVo4d6nIAs2R4PtgjRSd0AyKY

Turn 2 Summary

Zoraida gets Initiative (cheats RJ), Obeys the Cerberus to burn it’s upgrade and take Myranda to 1 Wd, then Bad JuJu finishes her off. Marcus does the dirty work and kills the First Mate. Then he puts Armor on Cojo and Obeys Cojo to charge the Grootslang. Wisp engages Crockett, who backs off and shoots the Grootslang (misses). Grootslang just straight up kills Cojo. But at least the Rattler is able to finish off the Silurid. He scores Idols.

EjoR0eBimfiZHoM3Tk21NLKXtNN62x50BIz7AKZf

Turn 3 Summary

Zoraid gets the Initiative again, Will o’ the Wisp moves in to tie things up. Bad JuJu kills the Cerberus at some point. Marcus kills the Silurid, Grootslang Crockett shoots at the Grootslang, Black Joker damage. Grootslang comes in to tie things up. Snake plays keep away from JuJu, who chases after him (unable to charge due to upgrade). Adze walks away and uses Lure to pull JuJu to him. Rattler uses Deadly Pursuit to escape JuJu. He scores off of Idols again, I score off of Take Prisoner on the Wisp.

LKMithWiALaa7T4ijiVbf-ckc3l0ulPy1ot-PjQq

Game ends 1-2 on time. 

Good things: Deadly Pursuit prevented Take Prisoner on the Snake, and the Adze Lure prevented Hold Up (Groot on Marcus).

Bad News: Crockett had Vendetta on Grootslang and missed or BJ’d every single time to score it. In general my hands were pretty poor overall, sadly.

Otherwise, I actually think this wasn’t bad, particularly given Zoraida’s current reputation as a meta boogeyman. That being said, I definitely made HUGE mistakes that cost me a lot. The Rattler used Ambush then Charge on the Silurid, triggering Butterfly Jump, should have done Charge Ambush Attack. I forgot to Deadly Pursuit the Cerberus out of 6” LoS of JuJu on turn 1, obviously that cost me big. There are lots more, but those were some standout moments of stupid. 

My biggest frustration ultimately was that I really, really like Marcus and think he is quite good, but my play here did not live up to that.

• Like 1

Game #3

Plant Explosives on Corner Deployment
- Breakthrough 
- Search the Ruins
- Power Ritual 
- Outflank
- Claim Jump

Last round goes to Zoraida (in my original planning I had her and Marcus flipped and would have taken him for this). My opponent brought Lynch, so I was grateful to be able to hire in the Hooded Rider for some Ruthless action.

I am also pretty excited, as this is my first game with Zoraida!!!

Zoraida
Hooded Rider
Angel Eyes
Waldgeist
Waldgeist
Will o the Wisp
First Mate

Jacob Lynch
-Hungering Darkness
Beckoner
Beckoner
Gwenyth Maddox
Graves
Tannen
Depleted
Illuminated

Deployment

kAtu79dBlrFzkxlF0JgRAvOR7awwvm1F6JRXUT2a

Turn 1 Summary

Graves pushes some ladies forward, Zoraida Obeys the Waldgeists (one is a BJ fail), and Angel Eyes comes forward and pops a shot into Graves. The Beckoner successfully Lures Angel Eyes forward, which seems bad. She gets more shots into Graves, but fails to pull off a Reposition trigger. The Will o the Wisp tries to Lure her but fails too. Lynch gets Beckoned forward, then he pops Hungering Darkness to Angel Eyes. First Mate drills Lynch for 3 damage with a focused attack, Hooded pops into Hungering Darkness for some damage, but he eats Angel Eyes. Waldgiest make for their bomb corners.

SaQ2UlMFJ2AggdaGvnVaxNaBzjFyuiyO0VXlKKyq

Turn 2 Summary

Zoraida makes a Hungering Doll, Injures it, gets Hooded to attack it twice, then Hexes it. Hungering tries to heal a bit, Obeys Hooded Rider to charge and sadly kill the Wisp, then gets at the First Mate, who Butterfly Jumps back after the attack. First Mate gets a Leap and attack, and two more attacks, and actually drops the Darkness. Lynch follows up by killing First Mate though, and turning him into a Depleted. Hooded goes after the Illuminate for a hit, but then the Beckoner pulls him off of it. Illuminated gets on the Waldgiest for a few. Maddox drops a bomb, Tannen drops a bomb. I score bombs and Outflank, he scores bombs and Claim Jump.

QsNJqfnszfEep0sXLG_5UlAmWU_jGXeeYT9y2qWJ

Turn 3 Summary

Hooded goes. Plan is to hit Graves down to Hard to Kill, splash Black Blood on Beckoner. Then Moonlit Charge, kill him, splash Beckoner, kill her, hit Illuminated, port to him, and attack him again and kill him. Problem is that I BJ the damage on Graves. So then I spend the second AP to take him to Hard to Wound, pop Moonlit Charge, but don’t get the second attack to kill the Illuminated and miss the Beckoner. She promptly pulls Hooded back. The Illuminated plays with the Waldgeist I guess. Zoraida makes a Maddox doll, then Hexes her 3 times. Then the doll hits her two more times, so she is down to 1 Wd. Scheme markers get dropped, a Beckoner and Lynch gun for my other corner! I score Bomb, he scores Bomb and Search.

vsvui7_uP-kilXn57vBTg0lL2cwH4yN_XfYNKJ0N

Turn 4 Summary

Zoraida jabs the Voodoo doll and kills Maddox. Hooded kills the Beckoner and picks up a Bomb and drops a Bomb and scheme (Obey help). Illuminated finally kills the Waldgeist. Lynch drops a scheme and bomb, Waldgiest focuses and hurts the Beckoner, guarding its bomb fiercely. Tannen makes schemes. He scores Bomb, I score Bomb. 

6KEu-_WJUuvix7UOOdtY6olvXY-E_cfd0njz576I

Turn 5 Summary

Zoraida makes Tannen walk and pick up a scheme marker, she makes the Hooded Rider fast. Illuminated gets to and picks up my Bomb. Waldgeist kills Beckoner, Lynch hangs out, Tannen drops a scheme marker. Hooded lays down two more scheme markers (fast and Ride with Me). I score Search, he scores Search.

1azFUYkWif8MIRJOuCwfJMwyTwdAOqDI3WX2EE0-

Lynch wins, 6 - 5. 

Really, really tough game. Hungering Darkness with the stones, healing, and Incorporeal is tough to put down and it cost me a lot. Obviously big first mistake was getting Angel Eyes killed like that, I need to learn more about Lynch’s threat ranges and Darkness port. Other glaring mistake was I should have Enscorcelled the Rider to walk charge the Illuminated, maybe be able to kill him, prevent the bomb pick up, and drop another bomb and score Outflank (lotsa variables there obviously). Could also ride back, drop bomb, walk to corner? Mostly it feels like I need to learn Zoraida better, maybe get some better models for her (i.e. Silurids over Geists, or Vasilia) and also learn Lynch.

Overall, I came out not feeling bad about myself. My two losses were both really close games, there were concrete things I did wrong that I can improve upon, those two opponents placed second and third, and I got to experience the “scary” meta masters of Lynch and Zoraida. Definitely excited to play some more games and to apply the lessons I learned here today!!!

• Like 3

With Gencon right around the corner, and my excitement at max level, I decided to jump back into Euripides. Managed to get a small half-game in.

Reckoning on Flank
- Search the Ruins
- Dig Their Graves
- Take Prisoner
- Outflank
- Claim Jump

Euripides crew is a bit chumba wumba, so I grabbed Claim Jump and Search, thinking I wouldn’t have to venture too far across the table.

Euripides, 7ss
-Primordial Magic
Geryon 
-Inhuman Reflexes
Geryon 
-Inhuman Reflexes
Cyclops
Black Blood Shaman
Angel Eyes

Ophelia
-Young LaCroix
-Young LaCroix
-Young LaCroix
Francois
Sammy
Raphael
Rami
Merris
Pere Ravage

dHXneUsomIYolV_1NHyj982EXkbHcgP_zlomhCQS

Turn 1 Summary

Cyclops makes a couple of ice pillars. Euripides trades pass tokens for Young LaCroix activations. BBS slices off a corpse marker and hands out focused to everyone. Some models move up, some shots get fired. Euripides pops up to an ice pillar, makes some more pillars, and throws a pillar at Merris. Geryons move around the flank, Ophelia walks twice and pops a shot at Euripides. Angel Eyes takes a focused shot onto Pere, cheats in a crit hit severe for 6 damage.

pRHSuLaboQjA95lW3SPEb5VaqpRmwEf8lGIcYP6s

Turn 2 Summary

Euripides leads off with a couple of ice pillars that Pere Ravage dodges, so he chucks one at him, and he didn’t dodge that one! For the rest of the round though literally all guns turn on the big guy. It takes a ton of soulstones and Old Ways and some hunkering down, but he pulls through on 2 Wd remaining. In the process a Geryon kills off Sammy, a Cyclops kills off Merris. The BBS also carves himself off another corpse token from the Geryon, pulses out focused, and grows up into a Mature Nephilim.

kPW2EwdFXRODkInaq3bOUfjPnNbNfI2fNRGMAaD5

Turn 3 Summary

Euripides wins initiative, but the game is called on time.

Some good, some bad here. I was in the position where Euripides was going to need to go work on Raphael, probably die, and then have Angel Eyes get the job done. Then Geryon would need to finish off Francois to get my second Reckoning point (he was low on health though). Then the other Geryon and Mature would need to survive long enough to get Ophelia the following turn. The Primorial was almost in position to rescore Search, then I would just need to get Geryon back to score Claim Jump too. 

Mistake wise, I used Euripides’ AP poorly. I shoulda just started with tossing the pillar at Ravage, then had the AP to back out of range of all of Ophelia’s guns, that was really rough. Otherwise, I was too slow with positioning to score my schemes efficiently. 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Gaston said:

With Gencon right around the corner, and my excitement at max level, I decided to jump back into Euripides. Managed to get a small half-game in.

Reckoning on Flank
- Search the Ruins
- Dig Their Graves
- Take Prisoner
- Outflank
- Claim Jump

Euripides crew is a bit chumba wumba, so I grabbed Claim Jump and Search, thinking I wouldn’t have to venture too far across the table.

Euripides, 7ss
-Primordial Magic
Geryon 
-Inhuman Reflexes
Geryon 
-Inhuman Reflexes
Cyclops
Black Blood Shaman
Angel Eyes

Ophelia
-Young LaCroix
-Young LaCroix
-Young LaCroix
Francois
Sammy
Raphael
Rami
Merris
Pere Ravage

dHXneUsomIYolV_1NHyj982EXkbHcgP_zlomhCQS

Turn 1 Summary

Cyclops makes a couple of ice pillars. Euripides trades pass tokens for Young LaCroix activations. BBS slices off a corpse marker and hands out focused to everyone. Some models move up, some shots get fired. Euripides pops up to an ice pillar, makes some more pillars, and throws a pillar at Merris. Geryons move around the flank, Ophelia walks twice and pops a shot at Euripides. Angel Eyes takes a focused shot onto Pere, cheats in a crit hit severe for 6 damage.

pRHSuLaboQjA95lW3SPEb5VaqpRmwEf8lGIcYP6s

Turn 2 Summary

Euripides leads off with a couple of ice pillars that Pere Ravage dodges, so he chucks one at him, and he didn’t dodge that one! For the rest of the round though literally all guns turn on the big guy. It takes a ton of soulstones and Old Ways and some hunkering down, but he pulls through on 2 Wd remaining. In the process a Geryon kills off Sammy, a Cyclops kills off Merris. The BBS also carves himself off another corpse token from the Geryon, pulses out focused, and grows up into a Mature Nephilim.

kPW2EwdFXRODkInaq3bOUfjPnNbNfI2fNRGMAaD5

Turn 3 Summary

Euripides wins initiative, but the game is called on time.

Some good, some bad here. I was in the position where Euripides was going to need to go work on Raphael, probably die, and then have Angel Eyes get the job done. Then Geryon would need to finish off Francois to get my second Reckoning point (he was low on health though). Then the other Geryon and Mature would need to survive long enough to get Ophelia the following turn. The Primorial was almost in position to rescore Search, then I would just need to get Geryon back to score Claim Jump too. 

Mistake wise, I used Euripides’ AP poorly. I shoulda just started with tossing the pillar at Ravage, then had the AP to back out of range of all of Ophelia’s guns, that was really rough. Otherwise, I was too slow with positioning to score my schemes efficiently. 

I like keeping Euripides in keyword. Geryon need ice pillars to heal, ranged attacks can become issues when you're creating markers for your opponent to hide behind, and the bbs is only giving 1 focus before becoming a mature, which while nice, isn't really needed or particularly better than Thoon, especially against a shooty crew like Ophelia.

Of course Euripides is roung into gremlins to start with since they have the most marker removal tech out of any faction.

2 hours ago, santaclaws01 said:

I like keeping Euripides in keyword. Geryon need ice pillars to heal, ranged attacks can become issues when you're creating markers for your opponent to hide behind, and the bbs is only giving 1 focus before becoming a mature, which while nice, isn't really needed or particularly better than Thoon, especially against a shooty crew like Ophelia.

Of course Euripides is roung into gremlins to start with since they have the most marker removal tech out of any faction.

In general I would agree. I reach out of keyword mostly for specific models.

In this case I wanted Angel Eyes due to the 14" ranged threat being a somewhat unique treat in the Rng 8" faction. This lets her pick out models with Blow it to Hell such as Pere Ravage relatively early (as was the case in this game). Additionally, she ignores cover, so they gain no benefits from the Ice Pillars. The BBS actually gave out 7 instances of Focused this game, and I sadly short-changed myself another 2 with poorly thought out positioning. Additionally he does have Blood Clot, which I thought would be a nice touch of extra healing on a crew full of models with Hard to Kill (again, poorly thought out positioning cost me another two instances of this).

Thoon's utility lies more with Frozen Trophy, so I kept him off the bench due to that being more control and less of a killy ability. 

With the uncertainty of the release of the Euripides box set, I stepped back from him and over to Marcus. I really really like Marcus in just about everything, but was fairly disappointed in myself with my showing in the last tournament, so wanted to spend some more time improving.

Corrupted Idols

Dig Their Graves
Claim Jump
Detonate Charges
Vendetta
Deliver a Message

Marcus
-Jackalope 
Rougarou
-Inhuman Reflexes
Rougarou
-Inhuman Reflexes
Grootslang
Iron Scorpius
Paul Crocket
Will o’ the Wisp

Dr. McMourning
-Killer Instinct
-Zombie Chihuahua
Rafkin
Nurse
Kentauroi
Toshiro
Gravedigger
Gravedigger

I opted for the Rougarou because their triggers are good into undead models (getting around hard to wound). I took Vendetta with Crocket on the Kentauroi, thinking that being a melee model he’d be in the mix and be taking attacks from me anyway. I put Claim Jump on the Grootslang, so he could use his markers to pop to and fro. The Iron Scorpius was to turn off Soulstone use and triggers due to all the poison coming out of McMourning’s crew.

OFr92kEYaVd-fHMOlsCa5QgnA4eg-L53J3HGRMIN

Turn 1 Summary

More set up than attacking occurred this turn, with Marcus handing out Camoflauge to the Rougarou, and Armor on the Scorpius and Grootslang. The Gravediggers drop some corpses, which McMourning then turns into a Flesh Construct. The Nurse is able to assist to remove the Distracted, and gains fast, pretty efficient. Grootslang hops to the left field, but unfortunately eats a Flesh Golem charge. A Rougarou goes in on the other Gravedigger but misses. Scorpius and other Rougarou set up for next turn.

n4Pf-trVjZkRqLyBhkbHlZh5X5GVKcYT7xhsygKi

Turn 2 Summary

Marcus gets the Initiative, commands the Rougarou to charge McMourning, pulls the Scorpius out of melee and commands it to charge McMourning. Then he Accomplices the Scorpius. About this point my whole plan goes a bit sideways. I was looking to have two charges, and then Expunge 8 poison off of McMourning to kill him (no soulstone prevents) except….Expunge heals him since it is poison damage. So….stupid me. Really stupid me. Needless to say, the Scorpius doesn’t accomplish all that much. In turn, McMourning carves on the Rougarou, then Accomplices the Chihuahua who pulls the poison to finish him off. The Grootslang slows the Flesh Construct, then the other Rougarou finishes it off. Crockett manages to get the Kentauroi down to 1 Wd, then several models heal it all the way back to full, denying me Vendetta. Toshiro comes and stands on the center Idol, the Wisp is too slow to get to the right side Idol unfortunately.

ZW8uAaumz9KKWfrtKzncoUdqOwtp4Fd0hJAR_xiY

Turn 3 Summary

Feeling the pressure to stop Toshiro from scoring the Idol, Marcus and an accomplice’d Scorpius go in on him, mostly to engage. Marcus also puts Camo on the Scorpius and heals it. The Nurse obeys the Scorpius into Crocket, leaving him at one health. McMouring pushes, walks, schemes, charges and kills Scorpius. When Paul activates he will die from Catalyst as well. The Wisp scores the Idol, the Kentauroi charges it, uses focus overcome distracted and kills it. The Rougarou kills the Gravedigger, something on his side pushes the Idol. The Grootslang goes heart of the cards, gets the trigger on the Rougarou to port to a Lair, then pushes the Idol marker back in order to prevent his scoring (this turn anyway).

zcYH2-qIHTC30vNKxayPvwAAZRqlKfWqVNnqeqVR

Marcus: 1 VP (Idols)
McMourning: 1 VP (Dig Graves)

At this point, the game ended on time, but it quite obviously heavily favors McMourning. 

Lessons Learned: Yup, that was an uninspiring outting. I put a lot of eggs in the wrong basket thinking I had a way to off McMourning, and I was wrong. That put me pretty hard on the back foot, and I didn’t recover so much as mildly hang on for a single turn. That being said, there are plenty of good lessons to learn as well. 

• Obviously I needed to choose some better targets the turn I went for McMourning, and pick off the Nurse instead. 
  • Alternatively, I need a better killer for a master and to not rely on the Scorpius. Also should consider the BBS for mass focus.
  • McMourning seems to be a crew that benefits from clumping, so I should have better addressed my schemes towards spreading out or brought some Lures. 
  • I mismeasured my Wisp placement, which cost me a free Strat point on Turn 2. 
  • I underestimated his healing, and it cost me Vendetta (poor Crockett has had a difficult run). 
  • I forgot my underbrush markers from the Rougarou. 
  • I am rapidly coming to hate Obey’s being able to spend the upgrades off of my models (this is a big one for Marcus).
  • I actually liked what the Grootslang brought, but deployed him poorly, which reduced his turn 1 strike ability. (Really I just need to keep a mask in hand to let him pop off on the Jackalope, teleport, Ambush, charge--some of this will depend on if I want him for anything other than Idols, but 10 Wds for 8 pts and 2" melee and the Lair to Lair is really useful).

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

This weekend I was able to mosey on over to the NoVA Open Malifaux events. They were incredible events, with beautiful tables, well run tournaments (on time!), and fantastic opponents. My only regret was that I wasn’t able to get more time there. I cannot even begin to give enough credit to Owen and Casey for the work that they put into this event, how well they ran it, and how fun it was. 

Originally, I was hoping to get Euripides at Gencon and rep him all weekend, however the shipping was sadly delayed, so I decided instead to focus down on an old favorite whom I hadn’t used in a while...Pandora! I spent a ton of time on her in closed beta (and like to kid myself into thinking all my whining had a good impact on her rules), but I pretty much haven’t touched her in the year since.

I ended up playing as a ringer in Round 1 of the warm-up tournament, which was fixed crew. I didn’t look much at the schemes and strategies, I just slapped together what I thought would be fairly reasonable all around crew for her:

Pandora
-Poltergeist
Hooded Rider
-Inhuman Reflexes
Candy
Iggy
Sorrow
Sorrow

Reckoning
-Harness Leyline
-Dig Their Graves
-Hold Up Their Forces
-Power Ritual
-Claim Jump

Mei Feng
-Forgeling
Mechanical Rider
Ferdinand Vogel
Neil Henry
Rail Worker
Metal Giamen

YGMERDHu639xV9iLak1ht-INmjpBwNdlPKpARniy

Turn 1 Summary

Really, things just move around some. Some models get focus, Mech Rider lays a scheme marker, a lot of models lay scrap markers.

_zMV7SYZWhuJvhXZn16WYjomEftTpImeKxD1pWF1

Turn 2 Summary
Pandora is able to pick off the Metal Gamin. Mechanical Rider brings up Neil Henry, who takes out the Poltergeist. Mei is fairly locked down, so she blasts at Pandora, Candy, and Serena with Breath of Fire a few times. Pandora and Candy reduce damage with soulstones, Serena does a bit of painkillers to help out Candy as well. Iggy blows up a scheme marker.

Pandora: 2 VP (Reckoning, Claim Jump)
Mei: 1 VP (Reckoning)

WHWk5QZjZxiX_7vpLFk2wY5VwU1MY1THtmeNSRrg

Turn 3 Summary

Pandora leads off, knocking the Emberling and Railworker down to 1 HP each, then finishing off the Rail Worker. Henry is able to get to one of the Sorrows. Hooded Rider fails both attacks on the Rail Worker (who is ultimately killed by a Sorrow). Mei Feng blasts Serena to death. 

Pandora: 3 VP (Reckoning)
Mei: 2 VP (Reckoning)

KY-vT-wTT21GzOee3sKjzym-XSf3QRgARXBrdB9w

Turn 4 Summary

He wins initiative; Ferdinand goes Beast Mode and comes into Pandora. Normally this wouldn’t be too big a deal, except he Red Jokers the damage flip and kills her in one shot (she was down to 6 Wds due to Breath of Fires). Obviously this is a bit of an issue for me. Hooded Rider tries to beat on Mei, misses all his swings. Mei scoots and schemes. Iggy and Candy beat on Neil ineffectually. Sorrow hops over to Ferdinand.

Pandora: 4 VP (Hold Up)
Mei: 4 VP (Reckoning, Dig Their Graves)

Amg01EU4dTxICZ8She58P1DW6g01oJLpqIFxUBfp

Turn 5 Summary

Things have gone fairly downhill. Hooded Rider uses his free action, smacks Ferdiand who stones away all the damage. Two more misses and he is done. Ferdinand goes human mode to heal up. Neil kills off Candy and Iggy. Mei and Rider scheme a bit.

Pandora: 4 VP 
Mei: 6 VP (Leyline, Dig Their Graves)

0OMUXnJX0o7jKKKFTi9cxyigBJmMpkqAhs5cTW5z

Lessons Learned: First game against Mei Feng, so that was a good learning experience. Matters were not helped by Hooded Rider going quiet for 3 turns in a row, but there were definitely things I needed to do better to help myself. Iggy, Poltergeist, and a Sorrow went on a side quest to nowhere (I feared he was going for Power Ritual with the Rider, but him not scheming in his deployment corner should have tipped me off that this was not the case). Going into turn 3 I could have used Diving Charge to kill off the Rail Worker and focused on hurting Mei more, which would have been much better than missing him twice with the greatsword.

@Kolath

• Like 2

GT Round #1

I was really excited this round, as I got to play on the casino table, which was AMAZING!!!

Plant Explosives
-Breakthrough
-Harness the Leyline
-Hold Up
-Assassinate
-Vendetta

This round was into Lucius, so I made sure to grab both Hooded Rider and Carver for Ruthless, in case he took some Manipulative models. Iggy came in for Arson as an anti-schemer, and a couple Sorrows to hop around and drop explosives.

Pandora
-Poltergeist [E]
Hooded Rider
Carver
Iggy [E]
Serena [E]
Sorrow [E]
Sorrow  [E]

Lucius
-Scribe
Agent 46
Black Blood Shaman
Investigator
Investigator
Lawyer
False Witness
False Witness

lllqfIaTqU7BhaQWa2wL6URCgXvQX9tC7deJMjLg

Turn 1 Summary

False Witness makes some schemes to feed the Investigators, Shaman pops out two corpses, eats one for a bunch of focus to everyone. Scribe comes forward. Pandora pings it down for 2 damage, moves Carver up with Despair’s Influence. He hits Scribe with Breath of Fire, Scribe buries, but dies to fire at the end of the turn. A Lawyer is able to get up to Carver and hit him with Slow. Agent 46 is able to get onto a Sorrow for a point of damage. 

ohJzzbnzZFJQDmvthE3-2Z0S2C3M3vb01AqrS6o6

Turn 2 Summary

False Witness (left), puts down three scheme markers and a no cheating aura. Rider pulls Pandora up and guns for the Shaman, misses both attacks. Shaman transforms into a Mature, shoves Rider aside and charges Pandora. Pandora stuns him, pushes him out of Black Blood range, and kills him by making him hit himself. Sorrow with Agent pops away to the safety of the Rider. Agent walks and drops a bomb. Investigator does basically nothing to Iggy. Iggy pops two scheme markers with Arson, doing 2 damage and burning to the False Witness (Witness dies to Life Leech, 2 damage, Misery (Burning), Burning). I love Iggy. Carver does something to the other False Witness, but misses the Breath of Fire on him (which would have removed a lot of scheme markers). As a result, he has enough to absorb False Claim and still score Leyline. 

Pandora: 2 VP (Plant Explosives, Hold Up)
Lucius: 2 VP (Plant Explosives, Leyline)

B6YKefk-e3XIP3qwHAUbmXxs5YUtmgWrhUgfbbYj

Turn 3 Summary

Poltergeist charges in and kills an Investigator. This means that Agent basically cannot tough Iggy (manipulative) or Serena (disguised). Agent instead scoots back and drops a scheme marker. Rider takes Sorrow for a Ride, then walks and schemes. Investigator scoots and drops an Explosive. My Sorrow scoots and picks it up. Lawyer obeys my Sorrow to put it back down. Pandora/Carver get the stupid Lawyer to 1 HP. Sorrow schemes and plants Explosive. Iggy walks back and Arson’s Agent’s scheme marker. False Witness dies to fire.

Pandora: 4 VP (Plant Explosives, Breakthrough)
Lucius: 3 VP (Plant Explosives)

KrWOYfMEa1O4db_Eq5J-B7y1Y4jJM9BoipQttp7z

Turn 4 Summary

Poltergiest moves to protect Iggy from Agent 46. Lucius/Investigator kill my Sorrow and take his bomb. Investigator plants it in my deployment zone. Lawyer makes Rider charge Sorrow and spend all 8,347 tokens to add masks to the attack. Serena drops her bomb. Agent walks and hides a scheme marker behind some slot machines. Iggy goes Reckless and Arson’s the scheme marker again. Pandora pushes Carver, then he walks and picks up a Lucius Explosive.

3VUFduNuzisQnkfovEXISIs7W9WmgB1b48qlfdmf

Game ends on time.

Pandora: 6 VP (Plant Explosives, Breakthrough)
Lucius: 3 VP

Lessons Learned: Really really tough game. One mistake that leaps out is that I didn’t put my right side Sorrow where he could see Carver and leap out to safety. I have always been pretty iffy on Carver, but this game he had the high crow to Breath of Fire out a couple scheme markers, but my opponent was able to cheat higher, so that isn’t on Carver really. Iggy is so very good, nearly denying Leyline, side killing a False Witness, and cancelling out Breakthrough.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

GT Round #2:

Reckoning
-Search the Ruins
-Dig Their Graves
-Take Prisoner
-Outflank
-Claim Jump

For this one, I wanted to go with a smaller crew of really hard to kill models, so that my opponent would have few opportunities to score Reckoning, thus Rider, Teddy, and Hinamatsu.

Pandora
-Poltergeist
Hooded Rider
Hinamatsu
Serena Bowman
Baby Kade
Teddy

Kaeris
-Eternal Flame
Arachnid Swarm
-Soulstone Cache
Arachnid Swarm
-Soulstone Cache
Soulstone Miner
Soulstone Miner
Arcane Emissary

NDRMbiejAv5YAVf3PX5ocDqAqceu_hlUtC_-g-hm

Turn 1 Summary

I move up cautiously a bit. Kaeris is able to get a line on Hinamatsu and throw her up towards an Arachnid Swarm (and gain Injured from a pit). Swarm comes into base to base, gets 4 attacks with -2 to Hinamatsu’s defense and a positive twist to damage, dead Hinamatsu. The other one comes in, and merely puts 5 damage on Teddy.

GO8v3P6C63LFZH6VZNwWS-bPfHaw4M7o-on5wUeV

Turn 2 Summary

He wins initiative, kills Teddy, moves onto Rider. Kaeris, Pandora, Poltergeist, and Serena all mess around in the middle. Importantly, Poltergeist is able to Stun and Misery push the Eternal Flame away from the Arachnid Swarm. Arcane Emissary comes in on Kade, Kade and Rider beat on it back (ineffectually really). Miners pop up in corners.

Pandora: 1 VP (Take Prisoner, Arachnid Swarm)
Kaeris: 2 VP (Reckoning, Outflank)

hvnzR-I_ApZ-V2u7rIgfrfgBtly2_QhKoMHgYDUl

Turn 3 Summary

Everything is a mess. Pandora stuns the heck out of the Swarms, slows one of them. At the end of the turn she is down to 3 Wds. Iggy and Rider still can’t kill Emissary.

Pandora: 1 VP
Kaeris: 2 VP

_QFqZFJVMisrgscjVRyVmC_BIYr5TxAxmb1hUh_g

Turn 4 Summary

Pandora is able to polish off one Arachnid and the Eternal Flame before Kaeris finishes her off (by blasting the Poltergeist until it and Pandora die). Rider finishes off the Emissary, then attacks the final Swarm. It  eventually dies to the Rider's Hazardous Terrain aura.

Pandora: 3 VP (Reckoning, Claim Jump)
Kaeris: 3 VP (Reckoning)

P6_QYpiGEuVit-NUL36vF39IH0QOqkNlCL8Gv_9w

Turn 5 Summary

Kaeris kills the Hooded Rider, Iggy fails horrible to really do anything of meaning to a Soulstone Miner. 

Pandora: 4 VP (Claim Jump)
Kaeris: 4 VP (Outflank)

Ot0tlq2ul2oYwlk2bgRA2byHfM7QNlwGeIPv0RnV

Lessons Learned: This was my first experience against both Kaeris and the Arachnid Swarms, and it was fairly tilting, to say the least. I needed to be aware of their threats, and also the activation order for Poltergeist, to have him go after Kaeris to Telekinesis up those pesky markers. Knowing about the swarms going forward, I can put more emphasis on 2” melee with Inhuman Reflexes and stunning them. Matters were not helped with it taking Rider and Kade 3 turns to kill off the Arcane Emissary, sadly.

• Like 1

GT Round #3

Turf War
-Detonate Charges
-Harness the Leyline
-Power Ritual
-Assassinate
-Deliver a Message

Pandora
-Poltergeist
Hooded Rider
-Inhuman Reflexes
Hinamatsu
-Inhuman Reflexes
Iggy
Baby Kade
Serena Bowman

Yan Lo
-Soul Porter
Chiaki
Samurai
-Silent Protector
Lone Swordsman
Manos
Sidir
-Trained Ninja

yYE-ePFbJrFbbZ11pWfHzaD2YIMO8WgRewDWqHX8

Turn 1 Summary

A lot of moving around at first, importantly Chiaki gets a Black Joker on attaching Manos’s reliquary onto someone. Rider moves up and pulls Pandora up. Kade Lures Hinamatsu. Pandora and Hinamatsu go in on Sidir, the Samurai takes a LOT of hits for him.

Ejh8W0y2Do6XlavTep5bl51-dfL1pM9uYtM2rCfy

Turn 2 Summary

Samurai and Sidir go down to Hinamatsu pretty quickly. This time Chiaki is able to put the Reliquary onto the Lone Swordsman. He goes in on Hinamatsu for pretty solid damage. 

Pandora: 1 VP (Turf War)
Yan Lo: 1 VP (Turf War)

35UZfPRdgJ5jr30qmLGOKEmrOFyN3sTJ1rAib8O_

Turn 3 Summary

Basically it is a giant mess of the Swordsman not dying. Yan Lo rolls up and shoots Poltergeist to death, unflipping my marker. Manos leaps and runs to backfield. Kade flips his maker. Swordsman delivers a message.

Pandora: 2 VP (Turf War)
Yan Lo: 2 VP (Deliver a Message)

vQL_3zzunXyW9BI9Kz1lYJRNMU3a0KJIC4Qdintj

Turn 4 Summary

Remember how last turn it was a giant mess of the Swordsman not dying? This turn was a giant mess of the Swordsman not dying. Rider delivers a message to Yan Lo. Scheme markers get dropped. Manos flips a marker. Swordsman kills Iggy.

Pandora: 3 VP (Deliver a Message)
Yan Lo: 3 VP (Turf War)

Fb7eSCccxgnq1NhWSEmgltuQgyXRIMUfr_HZPCz5

Turn 5 Summary

I cheat fate to give him initiative (we both have 4 models, and having Pandora go last helps prevent rescoring Deliver a Message). Instead the Swordsman pops Serena twice and gets a trigger to get 2 pass tokens. I try to get scheme markers down for Detonate Charges, but he is able to pull the Swordsman away. Manos flips the center marker, Pandora cannot get far enough away and Yan Lo is able to scheme marker her. 

Pandora: 3 VP
Yan Lo: 5 VP (Turf War, Deliver a Message)

yLH8iiVbQStSS6uL41WU_SleM7TKN1BY6Dfo1PvG

Lessons Learned: Ugh, that Lone Swordsman. Failing to kill him was the bane of my existence. Additionally, Iggy and Kade were used in a very limited manner in this game, which is 100% on my head. Also, my scheme choice was less than ideal. I need to come up with a better (read: efficient) schemer for her. I needed to move the Poltergeist out of that table quarter as well, that just gave a free marker flip.

• Like 1

Unfortunately that was all of the GT that I was able to participate in, however I did sneak in a side game just for fun and more practice.

Game #5

Corrupted Idols
-Detonate Charges
-Dig Their Graves
-Hold Up
-Outflank
-Claim Jump

I wanted to try a new way of tackling Corrupted Idols: take a small, elite crew, double up on Ancient Pact. Also Hinamatsu. My hope is that I will be able to win Initiative with enough bonuses and pass tokens that I can cheat in whichever suit I need to put all the Idols in one spot.

Pandora
-Ancient Pact
-Poltergeist
Hooded Rider
-Ancient Pact
Hinamatsu
Angel Eyes
Serena Bowman
Aversion

Wong
-Olivia
Pigapult
Lightning Bug
Lightning Bug
Gatreaux Bokur
Gatreaux Bokur
Taxidermist
-Inferiority Complex
Sammy LaCroix

Turn 1 Summary

Pandora just burns all the pass tokens to wait out activations. Unfortunately every pass token is 2 Focus on his models thanks to the Bokurs...sigh. Eventually we get down to business. Aversion pushes Poltergeist up. Pigapult is Obey’d to launch a stuffed piglet at Angel Eyes and Hinamatsu. Pandora pushes the slow piggy back, Hinamatsu charges and kills it, Lures Angel Eyes forward. Rider pulls Pandora along, charges into Pigapult for 1 damage. Then Taxidermist rocks my world, putting 6 damage onto him (3 prevented with mask triggers!!!). Pandora pulls Sammy out of concealment, Angel Eyes shoots her. Serena walks twice and fails to heal Hinamatsu.

aAUyhm7G3sb4QD9mJLaCMzGilkUUPFTdaWWOXjWm

Turn 2 Summary

I have a hand full of awesome and initiative, so Hooded Rider gets busy taking care of the Taxidermist. Icing on the cake is Serena is able to heal him back to full also. Then he uses every available resource in his army to finally take down Hooded Rider. Hinamatsu is able to get in there and take out Sammy as well. Pigapult gets Obey’d to shoot at Hinamatsu, but I just keep top decking face cards and all the shots miss. Aversion pushes Angel Eyes up, she scores an Idol.

Pandora: 1 VP (Corrupted Idols)
Wong: 0 VP

tAj_M90roFxZZYx47GUosyPgDWL3hqPAIu8Zpusl

Game ends on time (my fault)

Lessons Learned: Too short a game to glean much, I hope to get initiative the next turn to have Hinamatsu go in on the Pigapult (it has 6 Wds left, so I think it is reasonable to get it?). My goal to control initiative did seem to be working, but I started so outnumbered that I was getting 4 pass tokens on Turn 1. 

@Macdaddy353

• Like 1