Themey lists with off theme Masters

4thstringer

One of my favorite types of list to try are lists where a theme keyword is heavy, but doesn't match the master.  My most common two themes for this are witch hunters (for disrupt magic lists)and  constructs, but I have done journalist, Marshall and family lists with other masters too.  I find Lucius can run a pretty mean witch Hunter list, and Nellie can run most things pretty well.   I think I want to try Sonnia with some too.   What  off-theme master/crew combos have you tried, and how did it go?

I've tried witch hunter McCabe with decent success. This was before the costs of handlers and Samael were reduced and before thralls were a thing. I can imagine it's even better now.

I've run Lucius full construct as well. Success varies, I find a lot of the old constructs very dependant on the right suits and the stats are somewhat mediocre. If the opponent did their homework and brought armour ignore you're pretty much screwed.

I have tried Witch hunter Lucius. It worked OK, but not super well. But since it was only one game and I made some mistakes I can't really tell if the list works or not from that. And Lucius plus two witchling thralls can carry a list pretty far.

I've also tried an almost thematic Guild guard crew with Lady Justice. See the "been a while since I've asked..." thread for that one.

• 1 month later...

Has anyone made a cyborg witch hunter list? I had the idea rattling around in my head to put the handler into my next Hoffman list, and I can’t remember why (pretty sure it wasn’t the aura of burning, I already tried that and Nellie was better for it with her defenses of pushes and skipped activations). But what did pop into my head was the threat range of a nimble, double-handler stalker (wait, do thralls get the move bonus too? I think they don’t) (Note to self: really GOT to find the guy I loaned my books to and get them back :( ) guided missile. :P

Since Sam's extra damage against burning models isn't a trigger but built into the attack I could see how puppeting him would be very desirable. Hoffman also ups his survivability which is sorely needed. You just need something to "paint" the targets with fire.

I do still need to try ‘Sonnia w/o Sonnia’ yes. Handler & Ryle can help the world burn.

Remembered now: I was having problems with Ca attackers and wanted a positive damage flip buff on the handler so she could swan out in front with her half-built-in defensive trigger on straight flips. If that’s legal.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Gnomezilla said:

I do still need to try ‘Sonnia w/o Sonnia’ yes. Handler & Ryle can help the world burn.

Remembered now: I was having problems with Ca attackers and wanted a positive damage flip buff on the handler so she could swan out in front with her half-built-in defensive trigger on straight flips. If that’s legal.

What do you mean if that's legal? Loco's buff at least gives the bonus to all damage flips so was quite popular for the three leading ladies and their defense triggers.

I've played against Duncan's "Soffman" list a couple times, it was very effective. 

Leader: C Hoffman - Cache:(4)
   Pneumatic Upgrades 2ss
   On Site Assimiliation 2ss
   Field Mechanic 2ss
Mechanical Attendant 2ss
Samael Hopkins 8ss
   Witch Hunt 2ss
   Lead Lined Coat 1ss
Witchling Handler 7ss
   Disrupt Magic 2ss
Witchling Stalker 5ss
Thalarian Queller 6ss
Monster Hunter 6ss
Watcher 4ss

I've also seen him play a Hoffman/Papa Loco "Boom Bots" list that tabled his opponents crew turn 2 I think (which is just what Duncan does to be fair), but it was more impressive than the Pere Ravage/Iron Skeeter bomb I've heard about

@4thstringer has done glorious evil with a hand-delivered Papa Loco too (against Kirai, as I recall). I haven’t tried ‘An Over-Literal Interpretation of the Requested Construct Functionality’ as I don’t have a Papa Loco available. Does it count as going off-theme if you cram a Hoffman list full of Arcanist stompybots? I have an itch to try Ml7 swarms again and see if I’m any better at positioning than I was back then the last time I tried it.

I enjoyed ml 7 rail golem more than ml 7 swarms.  That was an enjoyable build. 

Any list using papa loco makes me smile.  The meta seemed to be moving more and more towards murder balls, at least my local meta was, and so papa became really enjoyable.  The one that got kirai had the emissary copy flaming bullets then pop out a fast papa to utterly cripple a crew that had bunched up.   Card expensive but man was it cool.

• Like 1