Playing against Competitive Outcast player

MordMaister

Hi,

I was wondering if any of you, more experienced players, have any tips or builds how to deal with/counter against really experienced  and highly competitive player(I play against him most of the time).

Don't get me wrong, I'm compete noob compare to him, but it's really frustrating loosing to him 90% of the time. I do my best to ask him what went wrong from my side, learn from it and "move on", but he is Outcast Player(Hamelin, Victorias, Jack and Parker. Most of his list includes Hannah + Void Vrench. Ultra aggressive you might say), not Arcanist, so I hope you guys could give me more tips how to increase my chances.

I have:

Arcanists(primary faction): Rsputina, Ramos, Marcus

Outcast: Leveticus

Neverborn: Zoraida, Lilith, Pandora

Don't mind details about what models exactly I have or I do not have, the list is long :D. But still I would like to use one of the Arcanist masters i have probably.

His favorite tactics in overall is alphastriking as hard as possible. Last week I've made Marcus proxy list(basic box + Rogue Necromancy - me, Parker + Hannah + Emissary - him) and almost won, but, new crew and new cards, it was difficult to remember all the new skills. I was more aggressive than him and it was obvious that he didn't know how to deal with it. That's probably "the wey" how to beat him :D.

Thanks for reading and all the tips I could get.

Fortunately there isn't a magic formula that will let you win. 

That said , focus on how you will score vp. Know your crew and what they do. 

It sounds like you are learning ways to beat your opponents style, which is good. There are lots of ways to alpha strike and lots of different ways to try and survive each one. 

One way I found that throws a lot of players is using Marcus as a missile. He can move 24" and turn 2 enemy models into beasts, which often ties up the enemy, and good use of his df trigger can keep him alive despite the retaliation. I don't expect him to survive turn 2 as well, but it often forces the fight into the enemy and their deployment zone, where they can't easily score. I've done this against a good Sonnia crew, and I lost my whole crew by the end of turn 5 and only killed Francisco, but he didn't reach the centre line to get to the squat markers until turn 5 giving me a win. 

It won't always work, if it had been reconnotre then he would have still been scoring for example. But it worked because I knew my opponents game plan, and made it work in my favour. I focused on scoring my points and stopping my opponent scoring his by letting him do what he thought he wanted to, at the cost of him scoring. 

• Like 2

Rasputina might shut the alphastrike down with markers depending on the board. 

Ramos can alphastrike him back by reactivating Langston if he struggles against that.

Not sure which of these you have tried but throwing a wrench in his alpha with one of those might let you focus on the VP. Marcus can alpha both literally and figuratively. ;)

On 8/20/2018 at 7:46 AM, Ludvig said:

Rasputina might shut the alphastrike down with markers depending on the board. 

Ramos can alphastrike him back by reactivating Langston if he struggles against that.

Not sure which of these you have tried but throwing a wrench in his alpha with one of those might let you focus on the VP. Marcus can alpha both literally and figuratively. ;)

Hey Ludvig. I've tried Raspy and thanks to my opponent(tips what to do) I am quite OK shutting down Sisters. Sub Zero is just a tough cookie for them :D (plus pillars). To be hones I've enjoyed pure aggressive Marcus's crew quite a lot, so I guess I'll buy them before the new models will arrive(not a fan). I would like to improve my chances with Ramos(I have weakness for artificers I guess), but not sure how(yesterday I've got train-wrecked by Misaki. Second game I was able to wipe out his von Chill crew with Leveticus(slightly insane artificer I guess))

• Like 2