Purchasing advice while waiting for M3E.

WWHSD

It seems like I've seen a handful of players that have been asking about whether they should get into Malifaux now or wait until M3E. Without having any special insight into what M3E has in store, I thought that these guidelines might help to protect the investment of people that were just starting to buy into Malifaux. There's obviously no guarantees on which models are "safe" M3E purchases but the goal is to minimize the number of models that a player may pickup that are orphaned once M3E rolls around.  

1. Take a look at the list of masters for M3E. Avoid the masters that aren't listed, and make sure the master is still in the faction that you are buying them for. Some dual faction models (Lynch, McCabe, McMourning) are losing one of their factions in M3E, plan your buying around the faction that they are staying in.
  2. Focus your purchases on models that seem like they go with the theme of the master you want to play them with. Those are the models that will likely end up with the master's keyword.
  3. Avoid buying models to bring into M2E crews using the mercenary rules. It's been announced that they are going away.
  4. Some masters have big hiring pools that allow them to bring in out of faction models. Marcus is an example of this. He can hire Beast models from any faction. Try to limit your purchases to models that they'd be able to hire without the special rule.
  5. Effigies, Emissaries, and Riders will be safe purchases since its been announced that they will have the Versatile keyword and are able to be hired without penalty in any crew that matches their faction.
  6. Avoid summoner models that have big summoning pools. It looks like there might be a lot of changes in regards to summoning.

Is there anything I'm off-base on here or have forgotten to mention?
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1

I'm not sure I saw anything about new sculpts for existing models being released right away. When 2e was released, did they immediately release updated models for existing 1e characters?

What I'm getting at is whether it's worth holding off buying now in order to get the newest sculpts at release.

Edit: To add to this, I wonder what other players' reaction to the now-missing masters is given that some almost-must-have models in box sets come with a less useful master (if you don't use dead mans hand masters), like Howard Langston and Joss in the Ramos box.

Edit: To add to this, I wonder what other players' reaction to the now-missing masters is given that some almost-must-have models in box sets come with a less useful master (if you don't use dead mans hand masters), like Howard Langston and Joss in the Ramos box.

You mean “currently almost-must-have models”, right?

Part of the point is that models like Howard Langston shouldn’t be must-have models for everyone in every crew.

• Like 1

At the last edition change over wyrd had just started plastic kits rather than metal. It took Wyrd about 2 years to make all the kits in Plastic from the first ed.

I had originally thought we weren't going to get resculpts of existing stuff, but it looks like we are. Sicne we are I would imagine that Howard and Joss will come in a different box, and at I guess I would  be surprised if they resculpted DMH masters.

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

Wyrd released this list with the current keywords for each model from M2E that should help a bit in planning purchases. Dual faction models are only listed in one of their factions. Asterisks next to the name mean that a model is Versatile. 

I broke out all of the models for each Arcanist master in this post. If something similar pops up for other factions, I'll link them in this thread as well.    

• Like 1