Is it worth learning new masters now?

Anung Un Rama

I think, a lot of masters will keep a good amount of their theme and will take it over to M3E. You can check the description of the masters on the faction pages here to see if the theme checks out for you going forward.

That said, M3E is a good amount of time away, so even with masters that may not interest you going into M3E, you will have quite some time before that comes around.

I for one would think if you want to experience new masters now, in M2E, or if you are comfortable with the masters you have, and not think too much about M3E for now.

• Like 1

I learn masters because I enjoy it, and I like to know what they can do and hope to deal with it, so it's totally worth it for me to learn a new master. I also think having a wider knowledge helps you be ready to adapt when your opponent does something unexpected.  And that should still be useful for next edition. 

• 1 month later...
5 hours ago, Michael Curran said:

A whole year away?

They asked for testers this august or something. Testing for m2e was about a year per book and now they are testing five books worth of models at the same time instead of one book like in the m2e shift.

I have a hard time seing that they'll be done for january. I'm a pessimist, I think we'd be lucky if we get it at gencon next year. That being said I have no idea if the beta was already far along and they just wanted to defuse the leak by inviting the most active players or something. Maybe they are in the final stages of the process and it will really be released early next year.

43 minutes ago, Rathnard said:

Wyrd's clearly been very coy about timelines, but I feel like M3E will be out before Gencon next year. I can't imagine them taking any longer than that and if nothing else, I'm sure they'll want to get it out ASAP now that the new edition has been announced. 

I don't doubt for a second that they want to have it out there before then. There is usually some disconnect between wants and reality though. 

I've simply assumed the original timetable was gencon based on the usual release patterns and I'm not sure how much that can be sped up. Testing and redesigning mechanics seems time-consuming to me.

Atleast the digital distribution should avoid the production and shipping problems that have plagued ToS and periodically held up the mini release schedule in Malifaux.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Michael Curran said:

I have had explicit dealings in the printing industry, and yes it takes considerable time to publish something of this magnitude.

the longer the BETA GOES ON the further out the process of publishing becomes.

Maybe I was hallucinating but I could have sworn Mason said all the character cards would be online for free at release day. If they do that but don't publish the base rules online as well they're creating a really strange release situation. It can take months for the paper copies of rules to hit europe so I was assuming a full digital release. From participation in open betas I know that beta rules are released in the same format as official cards (but waterstamped) so the process of digital release should be reasonably quick.

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/28/2018 at 8:37 AM, Rathnard said:

Wyrd's clearly been very coy about timelines, but I feel like M3E will be out before Gencon next year. I can't imagine them taking any longer than that and if nothing else, I'm sure they'll want to get it out ASAP now that the new edition has been announced. 

The Other Side was announced at GenCon 2015 as "Coming soon" and seems be coming out this month. Sure, a new game is a larger undertaking than a new edition, but I expect M3E is at the very minimum a year out. :)

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
On 8/11/2018 at 1:06 AM, Ludvig said:

M3e is probably about a year away so there should br plenty of time to learn a new master unless you intend to mostly beta test m3e until the official release.

And that is why news of it should have been kept under wraps until about three months out from release. Knowing 3.0 is coming out creates apprehension for players, as evidenced by this post.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Freman said:

And that is why news of it should have been kept under wraps until about three months out from release. Knowing 3.0 is coming out creates apprehension for players, as evidenced by this post.

Agreed. I doubt they wanted to reval it so early but someone took the m3e page live and the cat was out. Tough to go back after a thing like that.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1