Guild Second at Gencon

Rionnay

Hey Guilders,

I pulled off a second place placing this past weekend at Gencon. Would anyone be interested in a write up or a question and answer session around what lists and masters I played? I'm fairly new to the game (9 months) so I'm not sure what the normal process is around post-tournament write ups. I wanted to get a feel before I just wrote a whole large post and took up space.

Masters played- Hoffman 1/8 games, Sonnia 2/8, Perdita 5/8

• Like 5
  • Thanks 3

In no specific order I’ll start with the Hoffman game. It was Hoffman into Kirai. I played Hoffman (harness,osa,arcanist), Ryle with DttG, mech attendant, peacekeeper with T-magnet, warden, guardian, toolkit, metal gamin. It was supply wagons and I picked guarded treasure and undercover entourage in corner deployment. The board had multiple 90 degree height 3-5 walls down a central horizontal line that were hard cover  with windows (ruins of some type).

Hoffmans mobility offers a great way of getting the wagon and himself up the field and the harness allows him to get through terrain or around it well for entourage. Guarded treasure is fairly straight forward. The list was built specifically for wagons because of the difficulty sonnia and perdita can have getting it across the center line early enough. The reason I like Hoffman is machine puppet helps move the wagon with the peacekeeper. Also when the peacekeeper walks you walk with him. Trading one AP basically for two is pretty great and it allows you to hand out fast. Be careful OSA says “printed” on the card so interact actions I believe don’t count. You have to machine puppet all of the movements. 

The idea is Koop the gamin giving Hoffman cast 8+the construct bonuses which allows you to hit target numbers incredibly easy. Slow the attendant if possible and peacekeeper push wagon, walk magnetic push, push wagon, walk push wagon, walk magnetic push, and sometime give he PK fast. Peacekeeper activates last letting his magnet pull models that get close enough like the gamin or toolkit. He will push, walk, push giving you 5 pushes turn 1 and allowing you to start looking to threaten turn 2. 

Ryle and guardian go 8” away from Hoffman and prepare for guarded treasure. The warden try’s to camp in the middle of the two groups Incase he needs to step over and support scheming. 

Turn 1 wagons get pushed. 

Turn 2 I get into izamu and leave him on 1 box cheating a mask instead of the ram in my hand. Also I leave the peacekeeper 1” too far out for Hoffman’s no ignoring armor. Upside my opponent spends 4 AP trying to heal the turtle and 4 AP going after the peacekeeper and eventually downs him on turn 3. Turn 2 I score wagon and guarded 2-0. Turn 3 I lose PK to izamu. I shoot at izamu bringing him back down to 2 wounds. My opponent spends 2 activations healing him again, this was where I believe I got a large advantage. The peacekeeper has been holding izamu, datsue ba, and jaakuna up for 2 turns which wasted a lot of AP and allowed me to scheme. Later I learned my opponent had also taken guarded treasure and capturing those models for multiple turns between my wagon and PK probably won me the round. End of turn 3 I score 4-1 with my opponent on the board once PK goes down he is able to get his wagon to me. 

Turn4 was me activating the machine puppet train and pulling Hoffman as far across the board as possible and harness jumping onto the back board edge to prep for undercover entourage. Ryle gets ikiryo in his face so I accept a max score of 9 not being able to get a third for guarded treasure. Kirai had summoned a goryo to help down the PK which comes in hand to ensure his wagon is deep into my territory. I use the guardian to stand next to my wagon and attempt with a 3” engage to keep models off it. End of turn 4 leaves us at 5-2. 

Turn 5 Hoffman scores his 3 for undercover and my opponent successfully bypasses the metal gamin to get two markers down for covert. Game ends with me at a 9-6 victory. Losing the PK hurt and I forgot I could discard his upgrade to also heal him 2 points. With Kirais crew able to ignore armor the armor 3 really didn’t do enough to slow him down since I positioned Hoffman incorrectly. I believe that had I kept PK in Hoffman’s aura I could of held those models till turn 4 and possibly stopped 1-3 of my opponents points from being scored. 

for the weekend I went 6-2 with both my losses coming from Larry who won. Tuesday’s qualifier I lost and dropped after round 2 (10pm and I was hungry). Friday I went 3-0 to win and qualify. Saturday 2-1 losing to Larry second round in a less than close game with some big mistakes on my part. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Perdita

Terrain at gencon was a disaster for most everyone...except Perdita. One of perdita strengths is ignoring terrain, when there isn’t terrain she gets to focus on card manipulation. One of the strengths to my Perdita play this weekend was the large pieces of terrain with very little scatter terrain. Her list is family heavy, I don’t tend to change her list no matter he scheme or strats because she does so much lifting. Perdita (fastest draw, quick shooting, vengeance bullet), neph, Frank (wade in and cover me), papa (sleuth), Nino, monster hunter, investigator, effigy. 

Because of the lack of terrain my hands were amazing. Draw 6 investigator for 1, spend 2 on average of you 7 cards hero’s gamble to a new 5. In the games my opponents gave me no good models or very few I would stalk drop my highest card investigator for another. If my hand was high in card numbers I would hero’s gamble it away for 6 new cards hoping for lower cards to discard at the end of turn 1 allowing a cleaner deck. On Perdita activation I would be 6 discards +2 stoned cards+6 in hand+1 investigator+ hero’s gamble(5 average)= around 20 cards in before I even start flips. This is incredibly powerful when your damage flips already have a +1 or +2 spin to them.

The general idea of the list is to remove 2 activations on turn 1 between Perdita and Nino. He activation order is fairly straight forward as well effigy>investigator>monster hunter>papa>frank>neph>Perdita. Nino finds himself going first or last. He is able to remove 5/6 wound models incredibly easy turn 1 or score a quick vendetta for 3 points if you select the right target. Perdita May soften the target for Nino to pull the vendetta points quickly. Also Nino is a must include for symbols and ply. Symbols I played in a triangle with one against my deployment and the other two towards the middle of the board. Punish the weak as a scheme helps a lot, remember just shoot as minions and peons back to front so they can’t run away. Pulling the peons and minions by turn3 is an auto 3 points against nonsummoners.

Another core model is the monster hunter. This model is busted and I’m not quite sure why it exists in the game. The model is capable of “4+1” AP a turn. Walk+walk+stalk for 2 total AP and a 0. If the stalked model walks or charges you can walk towards it and push it backwards causing damage. Not only do you get functionally 2 free AP but you deny your opponent a functional 1 AP by pushing them back the way they came. In a lot of cases this isn’t ok and causes a lot of activation issues for your opponent. To put it into perspective the monster hunters 4+1 AP a turn can produce 25 AP over the course of a game where most masters only produce 15...Fair? Lastly the monster hunter is a great take one target forcing your opponent to deal with him or he will dish out 6+ damage a turn to a 7+ stone model. 

All the games I played worked very similarly, remove models and use frank the hunter and effigy late game to scheme run. Burn expert sleuth turn 2-3 to get a +4 on initiative and remove even more activations. If you charge Perdita in with vengeance bullet she is red jokering for 10 damage which is very plausible for her to do or severe a shot for 8 damage burning a stone for a second ram for 9. This allows her to charge shoot her charge target twice then turn her head drop vengeance bullet and put someone else in a body bag. Vengeance bullet as an upgrade adds the +2 damage which forces your opponent to stone trading a 1 stone upgrade for 1 stone and possible still letting 1 damage go through. In one turn I had her kill Tara and finish off killjoy, Sandeep and a mage, bishop and big Jake, etc. the trick is getting two back to back activations with perdita turn 1 last activation and first activation turn 2. 

The one Perdita game I did lose was a ply game against Larry’s Sandeep where I gave up Nino turn3. Even killing sandy couldn’t keep me in the game, the mages negate so much damage it makes it difficult for Perdita to kill activations as fast as Sandeep creates them. Also the monster hunter isn’t getting bonus damage against the mages which makes the model trade incredibly rough. It was a close game at 6-4 with a Perdita loss. If I did it over I probably would of stoned for an extra ram to one shot the steam fitter which would of slowed down his scheme running. Secondly I wouldn’t of plyed with Nino as early as I did, he keeps me from losing in ply as long as he is alive so losing him made it difficult to stay up on ply. 

What other questions can I answer about Perdita? (Still not an expert)

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

Perdita was my first master and I haven’t used her in a long time. When I get the MH I will definitely try your list. My meta is very killy so I used to take a Peacekeeper in order to have 2 threats and not focus on Perdita, looks like the swap for 2 MH will be a good trade.

I never used Papa was always afraid that he would blow up my own crew, don’t the target him? Also never used Nino, he seemed weak but look great in Ply as he can deny a couple of turn of ply until they get him.

Great Report  and thank you for sharing. Haven’t thought of bringing Perdita out for GG2018.

Thanks for that. Its interesting how Stalk is viewed as a normally poor action (on Misaki and the cerberus), but adding the chance for an attack on it and its suddenly great. Its worth noting if you use stalk you do have to end the walk as close as possible so your opponent can predict  where the hunter has to go and set up to stop it getting to shoot. 

33 minutes ago, Adran said:

Thanks for that. Its interesting how Stalk is viewed as a normally poor action (on Misaki and the cerberus), but adding the chance for an attack on it and its suddenly great. Its worth noting if you use stalk you do have to end the walk as close as possible so your opponent can predict  where the hunter has to go and set up to stop it getting to shoot. 

The gunshot is nice but the push I think is where the real money is. It’s a cast against walk which is pretty unique and fantastic. 

41 minutes ago, Baratta said:

I never used Papa was always afraid that he would blow up my own crew, don’t the target him? Also never used Nino, he seemed weak but look great in Ply as he can deny a couple of turn of ply until they get him.

Papa dies almost every game. Two turns of plus flips on perdita is worth a stone a flip because it’s basically a mask trigger for her. So 6 stones for the first two turns. If you can kee papa alive past turn 2 you start seeing a good return and that’s not to mention him making attacks of his own. 

• Like 1

Great write up! Congrats on finishing 2nd.. having literally purchased two Guild starter boxes 2 days ago and never even playing a demo I appreciate the number crunchers in all games where you are talking about manipulating the deck to try and stack it for next turns flips etc. A layer of tactical play I hope to get on someday. I was looking into running a Sonnia list myself and would be interested to hear any tips, tricks, loadouts and crew suggestions you have or ran with at GenCon or even just casually. It sounds like you really know your way around the Guild competitively lol..

On 8/8/2018 at 4:17 AM, Rionnay said:

Perdita

Terrain at gencon was a disaster for most everyone...except Perdita. One of perdita strengths is ignoring terrain, when there isn’t terrain she gets to focus on card manipulation. One of the strengths to my Perdita play this weekend was the large pieces of terrain with very little scatter terrain. Her list is family heavy, I don’t tend to change her list no matter he scheme or strats because she does so much lifting. Perdita (fastest draw, quick shooting, vengeance bullet), neph, Frank (wade in and cover me), papa (sleuth), Nino, monster hunter, investigator, effigy. 

What other questions can I answer about Perdita? (Still not an expert)

I was crating your list today in the APP and thought why not 2 monster hunters? is one is good two must be better, pur the in oppsoite sides so you could use either of the agaisn te stalked target, have you tried it? I would drop the totem  and a few upgrades. (Vengeand bullet/Cover me?¿/Sleuth). 

6 minutes ago, Baratta said:

I was crating your list today in the APP and thought why not 2 monster hunters? is one is good two must be better, pur the in oppsoite sides so you could use either of the agaisn te stalked target, have you tried it? I would drop the totem  and a few upgrades. (Vengeand bullet/Cover me?¿/Sleuth). 

A lot of people hate on the neph but that extra push in or out of combat or up the field is huge for perdita to disengage her or pull her back once she activated that turn getting her back into the auras you need. You could play two monster hunters but Nino takes the place of the second hunter for me. His ability to shut down interacts forces people to deal with him 

• Agree 1

22 hours ago, Rionnay said:

A lot of people hate on the neph but that extra push in or out of combat or up the field is huge for perdita to disengage her or pull her back once she activated that turn getting her back into the auras you need. You could play two monster hunters but Nino takes the place of the second hunter for me. His ability to shut down interacts forces people to deal with him 

Can you give any tips on Sonnia? I read some people don’t even take a totem when running her. How did she do for you at GenCon?

1 hour ago, 4thstringer said:

I don't know about no totem, but no purifying flame is common.  Malifaux child or even student of conflict are more common.

Yeah I read a lot of back and forth about purifying flame just not being good as having the raw soul stones to spend on her..