Engineer's Mobile Toolkit

Rai_Kruz

We're starting a TTB campaign soon, and I'm thinking of starting as an Engineer. I have one question about the Mobile Toolkit as a starting bonus though. The way I understand Constructs to work is that they're inanimate until animated either with magic or the Engineer's Mechanical Animation talent. But I wouldn't get that talent until the end of the first session. Does that mean I just have a useless hunk of metal for the first session?

For the record, I have no doubt that my FM would handwave animating the Toolkit, I'm mostly just wondering about the mechanics as they're written.

On 8/5/2018 at 6:31 AM, Rai_Kruz said:

We're starting a TTB campaign soon, and I'm thinking of starting as an Engineer. I have one question about the Mobile Toolkit as a starting bonus though. The way I understand Constructs to work is that they're inanimate until animated either with magic or the Engineer's Mechanical Animation talent. But I wouldn't get that talent until the end of the first session. Does that mean I just have a useless hunk of metal for the first session?

As @diki says, Soulstones & Soulstone dust can also be used to animate Constructs. Dust costs 5$ (Scrip) per charge, and animates a Construct for a month, so I'd personally go that route for the Mobile Toolkit as starting gear. Most other Pursuits get starting gear worth 25$, and if you tried to construct a Mobile Toolkit using the rules in the Core book (ignoring that a MT is a Peon, and the minimum construct you can craft is a Minion), I reckon it would come out to about 20$ anyway without the dust, so it seems fair. 

Gives your engineer plenty of time to upskill, and also means nobody has to spend the first few sessions remembering to somehow animate the damned thing every hour, or where you left it because you forgot to do so about 3 hours ago 😉

• Like 1