3rd ed Masters (everyone has an opinion edition)

Squirrelich

Just getting this off my chest, and this is completely my bias opinion. But I was really hoping the Master shake up would have went something like this instead of what was announced.

• Renamed Arcanists and Outcasts
  • added a new Faction
  • kept all Masters ideally
  • dropped dual Faction completely, cause balancing between two Factions never really seemed to work before for most Masters anyway
  • Put the Master list down to 6 in each Faction cause (IMO) there doesn't really need to be 8 play styles in a single Faction anyway, and it creates room to grow
  • Still made room for a few new Masters, but not as many as were announced.

Guild Resser NB Union Outlaw 10T Gremlin
Other (needs new name but don't want to confuse with old Outcast)
Perdita Ortega Nicodem(?) Lilith(?) Ramos(?) Parker Barrows Misaki Katanaka Somer Collodi(?)
Lady Justice Douglas McMourning Titania Sandeep Desai Leopold Von Schill Shenlong Mah Rasputina
Sonnia Criid Molly Squidpiddge Pandora Toni Ironsides Viktoria Chambers Jakob Lynch Ophelia Leveticus
Nellie Cochrane Seamus Dreamer Anasalea Kaeris Tara Asami Tanaka Wong Marcus
Lucius Mattheson Reva Cortinas Zoraida Colette Du Bois Zipp Yan Lo Ulix Hamelin
Charles Hoffman Kirai Ankoku New Master New Master Lucas McCabe Mei Feng Brewmaster Jack Daw

Steal Yan Lo if Nico
is still dead?
Steal Marcus apparently? Steal Mei or Hoffman
instead of getting a new?
  Steal McCabe if someone steals from 10T first?   trade in Zoraida for Marcus if Zoriada is not welcome under Titania?

Whoo, now that I got that out I feel better, thank you. Feel free to comment or ignore me as you see fit. :) 

• Like 3

I would have liked to have seen a Tyrant faction, myself. There's enough that they could have made a faction out of dual faction masters like they did with Ten Thunders. Maybe even separated some entirely. They seem to be focusing on the waking Tyrants according to the fluff on the announcement page, so not having some of them them splinter off into their own faction was a little disappointing.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

17 minutes ago, -Loki- said:

I would have liked to have seen a Tyrant faction, myself. There's enough that they could have made a faction out of dual faction masters like they did with Ten Thunders. Maybe even separated some entirely. They seem to be focusing on the waking Tyrants according to the fluff on the announcement page, so not having some of them them splinter off into their own faction was a little disappointing.

I think the issue with tyrants forming their own faction is that they aren’t on the same side.  Hamelin/Pestillence And Nightmare wouldn’t have any common cause or shared forces, for instance.

• Agree 3

I think they would have a commonality of surviving and returning.  They were banished and defeated before, there could be a storyline where they form a loose association to defeat their common enemies, i.e. current masters who are powerful enough to defeat them again, especially if they team up.

• Agree 1

7 hours ago, -Loki- said:

This would have been a dream for me.  Tyrant fluff is my favorite, and it is what drew me to outcasts to pick up Obliteration ,Plague, and Shez'uul.  And Rasputina is my first malifaux love, who I've never felt belonged fully in arcanists particularly since m2e.

10 hours ago, (Keenan) said:

But wasn't that before the queen rose?  

That was all going on before the queen fell, and whilst she may have caused each tyrant a set back, she also gave their foes (the other tyrants) a set back.

I doubt any of them view her as a greater threat that the other tyrants. 

I'm glad they didn't add a new faction - I think seven is already more than enough. Similarly, I'm not heartbroken over the lost masters since it slows the sprawl of the game.

I've always liked dual-faction stuff as a concept, and I think a lot of the hate it gets is because some models are better in one faction than  the other. I think that's fine. To lose the ability to pop Momma Z from fateweaver to cantankerous swamp hag would be a  shame.

• Thanks 1

I swear I’m going to start numbering you all in the future...

Opinion: there are masters I am now less interested in because of token mechanic reading like it’s a condition accumulation and that is already driving me nuts on Nellie (but less so on Ramos).

Friendly tokens:

Hoffman, Shenlong, Asami

Enemy tokens:

Nellie, Dreamer, Hamelin

Pass tokens:

Perdita, Youko Hamasaki

Opinion: while I am comfortable with attaching upgrades mid-game, there’s going to be a lot more of that next edition and it will catch people by surprise.

Friendly upgrades:

Kirai (?), Yan Lo, Marcus, Von Schill, McCabe, Ophelia

Enemy upgrades:

Jack Daw