Weekly Model Discussion - The First Mate

Cadaver_Junkie

Previous Weekly Discussions;

Weekly Model Discussion - Iron Skeeter

Weekly Model Discussion - Bayou Gremlin

Time for the next increasingly inaccurately named 'weekly' model discussion!

The First Mate!

Possibly my favourite model in the faction. Yes, he's not a gremlin per se, yet I love this guy. He's certainly eaten his fair share of gremlins no doubt.

How do you guys feel about this one? 

Love him? Hate him? Don't care, yet care enough about not caring to post a comment anyway? 

Where does he shine? What's his biggest drawback(s)?

Do you use him in non-Zipp crews? Zoraida maybe? Why?

Discuss! :D

Lemme add some things!

I love this guy.

I might be biased though, first game I ever used him was against Colette, true match made in heaven.
First Mate was upgraded with Where the Captain Can't See and Treasure Map; he was on armour 4 early turn 3.

He's fast, with a built in leap on any 4. 

I see the "Where the Captain Can't See" and "Treasure Map" as automatic upgrades for this guy. You can jump somewhere, easy access to enemy scheme markers, draw two cards, discard two cards, gain a thing based on the discard, gain armour + 1, and kill that scheme marker. Can't find an enemy scheme marker? Have an Iron Skeeter fix that with Poorly Handled Explosives.

Do this next to a Gremlin Crier for much card draw. Do this against Titania or Colette for hilarity.

He's great at scheme running, perhaps not as great as Fingers but this guy has other utility too. 
His damage track ain't great but it's ok, he also has pounce, can push, and can eat a model from time to time (well, rarely but still). Perfect Camo.

I see him as a jack of many trades henchman, who excels at killing scheme markers.

Auto include for any Zipp crew of mine, and worth considering with other masters.

He’s a very good alternative anti-scheme runner to fingers but is a bit fragile in the early game, I’ve had a couple games where my opponent has heard horror stories about him and have nuked him off the table turn 1 or early turn 2.

A main reason I take him instead of Fingers is the huge resources that can be gained. With treasure map, you cycle 2 cards and get an extra effect (hello soulstones!). He also offers more options with a decent attack, push and pounce (and yes, I’ve gotten the eating combo off multiple times, see ya Lilith!).

Absolutely love him, great for scheme and anti-scheme running!

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, DanteJH said:

He’s a very good alternative anti-scheme runner to fingers but is a bit fragile in the early game, I’ve had a couple games where my opponent has heard horror stories about him and have nuked him off the table turn 1 or early turn 2.

This can be useful too, if you’re canny about it- I bet your opponent had to spend a fair chunk of resources to make this happen.

Same reason I’ve just grabbed a Grootslang for my Titania crew, I want a scary distraction on the table.

Any strats/schemes you’d always choose him for? Or is he an auto-take regardless?

8 minutes ago, Cadaver_Junkie said:

Any strats/schemes you’d always choose him for? Or is he an auto-take regardless?

It’s funny, I don’t take him pro-activity but more re-activity to what I think the opponent is doing. I do like him for covert breakthrough, take one for the team, undercover entourage and for taking prisoners but he’s a flex model who can change gears fine on the fly like the whiskey golem who I love

• Thanks 1

I tend to risk him with Treasure Map and Where the Captain Cant see too.  It’s  just such a synergistic package.

I’m also a fan of his Menacing Croak.  Pushing people and slowing them is super useful. 

I agree he tends to fill the “Fingers” slot, so it’s beyween them and Trixie for me when building a list.

He’s a cool model but just suffers from other models doing specific things better while he covers more bases. Menacing croak is cool but trixie has her gremlin lure with+10 inch range. Fingers is better at stopping schemes because he prevents all types of interacts with chatty. He really is special when the enemy needs scheme markers but you can’t be sure with gg18 so he just kinda feels suboptimal. It doesn’t help that he usually needs 1-2 upgrades so being 10+ ss is pretty rough on the crew. 

Like people already said, he is crazy good when its almost sure your opponent will have to drop scheme markers. He is very slippery and can take a beating if you have the stones to burn on dmg prevention, especially after eating enemy scheme markers. Funnily enough I take him more often with non zipp masters.

I hadn't used him much, but was challenged to use Zipp's whole box a couple weeks ago. Man have I been underestimating this guy.

My next plan is to try him out with Mah. he is fast enough to keep up with her and she has plenty of push tricks to take advantage of pounce.

• Agree 1

On 8/7/2018 at 11:15 AM, Flinroz said:

I hadn't used him much, but was challenged to use Zipp's whole box a couple weeks ago. Man have I been underestimating this guy.

My next plan is to try him out with Mah. he is fast enough to keep up with her and she has plenty of push tricks to take advantage of pounce.

Any standout moments with First Mate in the full box Zipp crew?

14 hours ago, Cadaver_Junkie said:

Any standout moments with First Mate in the full box Zipp crew?

He mostly jumped around and ply'd things. Nothing amazing, but he was able to get ply every turn. He also ate the scheme marker my opponent was trying to do Dig Their Graves with, only the one. 

17 hours ago, (Keenan) said:

Who would do such a thing?

One of my local Outcast players who wanted to see what he was getting with Zipp in 3e, dispute me pointing out repeatedly that the models may not be anywhere near the sae rules-wise lol.

• Haha 3