Gen Con 2018 Coverage

6 hours ago, SunTsu said:

I saw a thing no one mentioned, so I do...

I noticed that armor no longer states a minimum of 1 damage.

So, or there is a general rule about damage reduction that prevent not going to zero (and it's made to gain some free space on cards), or armor can effectively screen low damage much better...

You made me and my stompybots very happy for a few minutes, but then I found the conditions card with Shielded on it, and that goes to a minimum of 0. No total reduction on armor, probably.

Soulstones better still prevent to 0. I want to keep on sneaking out of ‘after damaging’ triggers.

I don't know if anyone else touched on this, but for scoring, it is now an 8 point game. You only score schemes once, basically an easy version for 1 point, or a hard version for 2. Strategies get progressively harder the more you have already scored. There is also a universal rule that you may not score any points on turn 1, regardless of whether you have actually done the thing to score

16 minutes ago, cbtb11235813 said:

I don't know if anyone else touched on this, but for scoring, it is now an 8 point game. You only score schemes once, basically an easy version for 1 point, or a hard version for 2. Strategies get progressively harder the more you have already scored. There is also a universal rule that you may not score any points on turn 1, regardless of whether you have actually done the thing to score

Are you sure that you can only score the schemes once? It looked like maybe the schemes had an option for scoring both points at once or being able to score it twice, with the second time being something that your opponent is better able to defend against since they know what scheme you are trying to score.

9 minutes ago, WWHSD said:

Are you sure that you can only score the schemes once? It looked like maybe the schemes had an option for scoring both points at once or being able to score it twice, with the second time being something that your opponent is better able to defend against since they know what scheme you are trying to score.

I am not 100% sure. I was definitely told you only score each scheme once, but there were several things I was told that don't line up with what other people heard

4 hours ago, cbtb11235813 said:

Is there info, that the system of choosing schemes remains the same? Because it looks to me that one scheme is mandatory as it printed on strategy card, so if we still get to choose two schemes in discreet it gets the summary to 10: 4+2+2+2.

34 minutes ago, Raimu said:

Is there info, that the system of choosing schemes remains the same? Because it looks to me that one scheme is mandatory as it printed on strategy card, so if we still get to choose two schemes in discreet it gets the summary to 10: 4+2+2+2.

No, the paired one likely works just as paired ones do now. You aren't forced to take Eliminate Leadership when playing Public Executions

3 hours ago, cbtb11235813 said:

No, the paired one likely works just as paired ones do now. You aren't forced to take Eliminate Leadership when playing Public Executions

Considering how many other things are changing, there is no sure way to know unless someone can confirm from one of the devs. Maybe someone that went to GenCon? 

2 hours ago, cbtb11235813 said:

I did go to GenCon and talked to the devs extensively. From what everyone said, it is now an 8 point max game

Hmmm. That is the only thing I've heard so far that makes me a bit worried. I'll have to wait and see how it feels if I get into the playtest. 

22 minutes ago, Paddywhack said:

Hmmm. That is the only thing I've heard so far that makes me a bit worried. I'll have to wait and see how it feels if I get into the playtest. 

1st edition was 8 points.  So there's precedent.  Besides, the new strategies are pretty easy to get 1-2 points out of.  3 and 4 look to be much harder.

4 minutes ago, Clement said:

1st edition was 8 points.  So there's precedent.  Besides, the new strategies are pretty easy to get 1-2 points out of.  3 and 4 look to be much harder.

It's definitely a shift in perspective - with more emphasis on the strategy (shared and public) rather than schemes (personal and secret) it will look more like a "classic" wargame. Also 8 points is a funny point-total - 10 resonates better with people I guess. 

One more thing for the Beta!

The new scoring looks a bigger change than we've had since maybe first to 1.5, making the strategy harder to score full points, so making it also contribute 50% of the score seems reasonable. 

I'm also not sure that the aim of M2E going to more points on schemes worked out as they intended, certainly the switch to more scoring round by round in recent ganging grounds removed a part of the hidden game. 

• Agree 2

56 minutes ago, Adran said:

The new scoring looks a bigger change than we've had since maybe first to 1.5, making the strategy harder to score full points, so making it also contribute 50% of the score seems reasonable. 

I'm also not sure that the aim of M2E going to more points on schemes worked out as they intended, certainly the switch to more scoring round by round in recent ganging grounds removed a part of the hidden game. 

For sure one thing: there are many more changes, and of broader nature, than I expected when the news first came out about M3E. The initial message from Wyrd was sort of "fine-tuning" and "tightening the bolts", but as more details keep coming out, this looks more and more like a major overhaul. I mean, fundamental building blocks of the game are being changed like the stats, the AP mechanic etc. - to the point that @cbtb11235813 above said they were playing demo games to get a feel for the new mechanics...

2 hours ago, cbtb11235813 said:

We did play a demo, but no schemes and strats, just a deathmatch to get a feel for the new mechanics (I play both Raspy and Marcus so I was really interested to see how they changed)

Did anyone destroy and Destructible Ice Pillars? Were the ones she casts 30mm like the ones that drop when her Ice critters die.

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, edopersichetti said:

For sure one thing: there are many more changes, and of broader nature, than I expected when the news first came out about M3E. The initial message from Wyrd was sort of "fine-tuning" and "tightening the bolts", but as more details keep coming out, this looks more and more like a major overhaul. I mean, fundamental building blocks of the game are being changed like the stats, the AP mechanic etc. - to the point that @cbtb11235813 above said they were playing demo games to get a feel for the new mechanics...

The challenge to an update like this is that a lot of things you're used to don't mean quite the same thing they used to mean.

My play group had a rather substantial adjustment period where we had to double check a LOT of rules we thought we knew because we were remembering the 1st edition rules rather then the correct m2e ones.  Don't assume that just because the demo was "murder mode" means everything is different now.  You will still have a crew of models, they will still alternate activation with your opponent, you will still be attempting to score points via completing objectives that may or may not include murder.

Wait till you get this thing on the table before you start deciding "it's a major overhaul".

18 minutes ago, Clement said:

The challenge to an update like this is that a lot of things you're used to don't mean quite the same thing they used to mean.

My play group had a rather substantial adjustment period where we had to double check a LOT of rules we thought we knew because we were remembering the 1st edition rules rather then the correct m2e ones.  Don't assume that just because the demo was "murder mode" means everything is different now.  You will still have a crew of models, they will still alternate activation with your opponent, you will still be attempting to score points via completing objectives that may or may not include murder.

Wait till you get this thing on the table before you start deciding "it's a major overhaul".

Especially, all of the bits about scoring Schemes and Strategies. That stuff could have all been done in GG2019 without an edition change.  

• Like 1