Gen Con 2018 Coverage

Kk. So to the best info we have right now global based on the keyword the master has?

Seamus is gonna get a new one then most likely. I would have thought it was belle, but if, again speculation, the master has to have the keyword they hire I doubt they gave him the belle keyword, 

Don’t like the card size, do like how elegant and clean everything looks at the moment.

• Agree 1

3 minutes ago, Crazy Sage said:

I like overall design of new cards, but wounds should be more readable, I think.

About the only thing going for wounds on the bottom edge is  someone could use a slider to mark wounds and not dots or dice. I’d rather have them further up (closer to opponent) and/or in the middle of the model stats in that circle. But that isn’t new news.

1 hour ago, MetaphoricDragn said:

One observation is that there is only 0" and 1" melee, looks like melee ranges as a whole are going down.  I do rather hope 0" isn't a hard bases touching, or there wil a lot of "nuh-uh I'm not touching you" pedantic arguments. 

From playing Ramos and needing to have models in base contact, I’ve found that announcing when something  has moved into base contact and asking when an opponent’s model finishes a move that might be in base contact avoids a lot of issues, especially since it’s easy for things to get jostled a milimeter here and there.

• Like 2
  • Agree 5

About Marcus & Co, I like the new artwork overall (except for the big order initiate that I find plain ugly). The back of the cards is not as sexy as the front though, it seems a bit plain.

I don't mind the new cards size but I did not invest in sleeves and holders heavily.

On the card contents though, Marcus seems to have gone from king of the jungle to madman mutating beasts (this is coherent with his change of artwork). He seems to be on full support which is a playstyle I find VERY boring. Let's hope the upgrades correct this because otherwise, this is very disappointing regarding one of the most interesting masters of M2E.

I have a feeling that they toned down the overall power level of the masters. I am not sure how I feel about that, I liked having a crew and a boss who is a boss.

This may be due to their intention of letting people recruit 2 masters in the same crew but this is not an idea I like and not how I see the game.

At present I am unimpressed.

• Respectfully Disagree 1

4 hours ago, WWHSD said:

From playing Ramos and needing to have models in base contact, I’ve found that announcing when something  has moved into base contact and asking when an opponent’s model finishes a move that might be in base contact avoids a lot of issues, especially since it’s easy for things to get jostled a milimeter here and there.

Whenever we get new players I hammer home that "declaration of intent" is a thing. Just makes everything so much smoother when you don't have to retroactively start figuring out if something's within a certain distance, or in LoS, or anything.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Agree 2

I would have thought base contact was about the least subjective measure of distance going. Probably still worth declaring "I'll walk into base contact" though if it's vitally important in case the models get nudged fractionally apart somehow.

Anyone else thinking disengage being a push is going to make moving base-to-base an even stronger way of limiting someone's movement options?

• Agree 1

5 hours ago, Fetid Strumpet said:

Seamus is gonna get a new one then most likely. I would have thought it was belle, but if, again speculation, the master has to have the keyword they hire I doubt they gave him the belle keyword, 

Probably one that's a bit less creature type-ey, like Redchapel or something. I could see that happening for a few crews where the members have different characteristics at the moment.

Man, I am pumped for the new edition. Not a big fan of the new cards though – They seem unnecessarily bloated compared to the actual text on the card. I much prefer the current, compact cards.

Is this an attempt to allow for more Attack and Tactical actions on models? If so, I feel like it goes against their desire to “Lightening the Load”. It seems too flashy and elegant, rather than the dirty-and-spotted art style of the current cards. In the current version, you feel like you are opening a case file with the model and have a much better overview of its stats.

• Like 2

No one is mentioning this new shockwave mechanic. It has a range and needs a target number. no resist. Shockwave X, Mv X, damage and triggers/conditons. So maybe it works with a for example 50mm marker. Place it in range, move it x" and every modell it passes over gets the effects?

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, GrumpyGrandpa said:

Man, I am pumped for the new edition. Not a big fan of the new cards though – They seem unnecessarily bloated compared to the actual text on the card. I much prefer the current, compact cards.

Is this an attempt to allow for more Attack and Tactical actions on models? If so, I feel like it goes against their desire to “Lightening the Load”. It seems too flashy and elegant, rather than the dirty-and-spotted art style of the current cards. In the current version, you feel like you are opening a case file with the model and have a much better overview of its stats.

Less upgrades means more stuff needs to fit on the cards. Can't comment on the style, I've only had a glance at a few pics of cards. I just want to easily read them.

1 hour ago, emiba said:

So... Schemes are a maximum of 2 points now?

Since the paired scheme is on the strat card I'm guessing both players will always have that so it's now three schemes. Some seem very tricky to score from though, 4 markers for 2 vp when you can just dominate the strat and get 6 because of the paired scheme shifts focus to strats it seems.

Yeah, it does look like the paired scheme is always built in so you have 3x2 scheme scoring and 4 potential from the strategy. In addition to the melee ranges tightening up is appears schemes will as well. Dig Their Graves is now scored for a scheme marker within 1"! That is exponentially more difficult than the way it is today but, if they enemy is in base contact you get your full two right away. 

I wonder if, based on the way these are worded, if you can only score from a given scheme once per game. Most have a 1 point base and a 1 point bonus. It looks like that may be the case. I hope not. I like the game play right now where you identify a scheme (like Dig Their Graves) and work to avoid it or achieve it once it has been revealed. If it is structured the way it appears, all of the game play will be centered around guessing which schemes your opponent took. Also an important part of the game, but it may be the only part. 

These are easier things to change though.  

5 hours ago, lusciousmccabe said:

I would have thought base contact was about the least subjective measure of distance going. Probably still worth declaring "I'll walk into base contact" though if it's vitally important in case the models get nudged fractionally apart somehow.

Anyone else thinking disengage being a push is going to make moving base-to-base an even stronger way of limiting someone's movement options?

With as many models that have bits that overhang their bases, the rounded edges of the bases, and jostling of models it’s not uncommon in my experience for models that were placed into base contact to have very small gaps between them.

• Agree 2