Monthly Painting Challenge - August

Franchute

Layering the snow. Just added some more snow, ice and water stuff. Guss bases look better now.

IMG_20180821_153442.jpg

Hoarcat prototype!

IMG_20180821_153546.jpg

Last challenge: permanently mounting the figure over the finished base. I bought some acrylic glue for glass. May be using the glue mixed with the stuff used to create water will help to cement the model to the base.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Franchute said:

I have some more WIP pictures on the kentauroi:

Great! There are few people till taking part to the challenge. Posting more pics and more often is the only way to keep the the thread alive.

I have a question as regard Kentauroi. How many models have been released by Wyrd? I know 3 models are included in the official box. I'm not sure a 4th model was released as a montly promotion.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Purple Mist said:

I have a question as regard Kentauroi. How many models have been released by Wyrd? I know 3 models are included in the official box. I'm not sure a 4th model was released as a montly promotion.

The box has three models: one of them is supposed to be an alt kentauroi and the other two are not alt.

• Thanks 1

Two completed terrain pieces so far this month

635_C6_E6_A_8_D82_4_A9_B_9_C6_C_F2_E9_A3

Almost finished another piece and will try my best to get Ophelia and one young La Croix done when back from holiday early next week

Edited by Rikk
Uploaded wrong pic
  • Like 3

On 8/21/2018 at 7:03 PM, Franchute said:

The box has three models: one of them is supposed to be an alt kentauroi and the other two are not alt.

I have a Kentauroi box somewhere. I was supposing there're 4 Kentauroi inside it because of the promotion label on the box. Soon or later I'll get a chance to have it again in my hands for a deep check. But I fear I placed it into a large card box and placed it all high over my painting table. So it is a very risky manouver to try grabbing it while I have minis and painting stuffs on the table. Guess I'll have to wait till the time (some year far in the future?) I'll was inspired to put some order on the table. :(

9 hours ago, Purple Mist said:

The tree looks perfect for a Malifaux table.

May I ask you which stuff are you using for water effect?

Hi,

I use Vallejo water effects, approx £10 a bottle from Amazon. It’s ok, needs thin layers, 3-4 days dry time and then layer and then repeat. Thicker layers I have found goes very cloudy and doesn’t always settle, leaving a white tinge after curing if I’ve done a too thick layer. 

• Thanks 1

@Rikk, I already used it. I'm not happy with the results I got. May be I was wrong with the drying time of the layers.

Now I'm using "Realistic Water" by Secret Weapons. It's more expensive and I had to wait for shipping from USA but I'm getting more brilliant and transparent layers. Going to post some picture as regard with the treemen I pledged current month.

Just now, Franchute said:

This is January's errata.

Ahhh! OK ,thanks.

Then, we can say I tallied 30ss for the current month.

For me few ss points more or less does not matter. It's important to get fun painting minis. ;)

It's also true I'm not playing Malifaux since a long time, so I missed updates. Guess, at present I'm not the best player, but properly the only one going after Malifaux here!

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Purple Mist said:

What about the base? Which shades od colour did you use under the water stuff? It looks so realic as a swamp.

I simply start painting the base with a dark green: GW Caliban green. Then I paste my grass and my stones. Then I add Viruk's mixture of GW nurgle rot and Vallejo still water: I'm not sure, maybe two or three thin layers. The grass tends to "suck" the mixture; that's why it gathers around it like this. And finally I put two layers of pure still water. Sometimes I try some other variants with brown, but this recipe is the last version I'm playing with.

• Thanks 1

My first mini to be finished this month is the crates terrain.  I may go back some day in the future and add some green wire to the ivy vine---the leaves work great with this Army Painter feature, but when there are clumps spread apart I think it would benefit from making the central vines more visible.  Calling it done for now for the first 5 SS of the month. 2 Steamfitters still to come.  Cheers all.

@Franchute: those Kentauri are just amazing.  I think I can smell them from here.  :)

2018Aug_crates_done.jpg.1e59134e8520528e76b885509c3b072d.jpg

Edited by prof_bycid
Added photo
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1