Monthly Painting Challenge - August

Franchute

Montly progress so far:

IMG_20180813_142406.jpg

I'm going after the "treemen". Got some trouble mounting Waldgeists over respective bases. It's till WIP.

I painted Hoardcat Pride models bases (Ice ones). Till have to work them to get ice effect. Hoardcat Pride models till in progress.

For now, I put aside other models: Rasputina, Rail Golem and others.

• Like 5

Progress update: the Brew Crew is complete for my friend's birthday gift.

20180813_183404.jpg.f0689a2cb7abc6e1d5bac87e7c38f42f.jpg20180813_183446.jpg.43370b2aff4df54b379f46d53de433a7.jpg20180813_183035.jpg.096c7326666bb4de807f98e285960e5e.jpg20180813_183301.jpg.89dbeb416df211ca8aef4de8b9831e53.jpg

Tried to make the Moon Shinobi out to be dark ale, light ale, and red ale, for what that's worth. The "freshly poured" blending came out better on Westley's basket than Brewie's staff, but over all I'm really pleased with them, and their tiny Guinness bottles.

They bring my monthly progress to 43ss.

And one more picture. Whiskey Golem doesn't count as he's been painted a while, but I wanted to show the whole gift, and I love how his hat came out.

20180813_183555.jpg.0806dc77224c3702ad5324e1095cadff.jpg

• Like 8

3 minutes ago, misterfinn said:

Alas, I really do have to leave the challenge. My tendons are in bad shape and I might be looking at wrist surgery. No brushwork for me for a while. Hopefully everything will be resolved before the end of the year so I can come back for the 2019 challenge. Cheers all!

This is sad news 😢

• Agree 3

On 8/16/2018 at 11:21 PM, Viruk said:

6 Terror Tots and Cherub for a total of 2 soulstones

Guess their value is al least 20 Soulstones.... even more considering your achivements in comparison with mine (I painted the 3 plastic models months ago). 

@Franchute - Great result with the Crooligan. Guess it's even better  live than on these overlighted pics.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Purple Mist said:

Guess it's even better  live than on these overlighted pics.

Thanks and sorry about the blurry picture. I should maybe change the black background or buy a camera.

Today I started working on a kentaurai:

5068E175-7969-4ABD-AF17-840A6C2DE0E7_zps

@bedjy @hemgath @wizuriel  by the way, we havent heard from you yet this month. You're not thinking about leaving us, are you? 😊🤔

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Franchute said:

@bedjy @hemgath @wizuriel  by the way, we havent heard from you yet this month. You're not thinking about leaving us, are you? 😊🤔

Hey everyone, I'm not leaving the challenge ! But I got very few time for it those 2 summer month. I've started painting things and I will receive my gencon stuff monday, so i'll be back on track at this moment !
So, what I will have painted this month : 
1 bayou gator,
1 Sammurai
some stuff of the gencon ^^

• Like 2

Here is the progress on my August pledge.  I need to go back and touch up a few places on the pile of crates scatter terrain where it did not take the wash.  Then I will add some mud caked on the bottom and a weed or two beside them.

2018Aug_Crates_WIP.jpg.75b83f97406b5faa7ebc1ef7e77063f6.jpg

I am happy with how the steamfitter bases came out and that they fit around the pipes without doing a balancing pose.  I just have some of the base colors down on the actual mini's so far. I noticed after priming that the male steamfitter is not picking his teeth with the screwdriver as planned, which would not be a very good tool for that anyway.  Rather, he is closely inspecting the end of the screwdriver, perhaps to see if he just dislodged any bits of food?  These are going to take a lot of different colors and edge highlighting as there are a lot of small details that I want to have show up.

2018Aug_Steamfitters_WIP.jpg.813eedf0b1b023a9a0522636b0da1372.jpg

• Like 6

21 hours ago, Franchute said:

I should maybe change the black background or buy a camera.

I got best results with the cell camera and sun light than with a true photo camera. The lighting box can be a good replacement for sun light, but damn!, these minis are so tiny and zooming on them just put in evidence my painting mistakes! ;)

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Purple Mist said:

I got best results with the cell camera and sun light than with a true photo camera. The lighting box can be a good replacement for sun light, but damn!, these minis are so tiny and zooming on them just put in evidence my painting mistakes! ;)

I'm actually using a light box... :(  🙁

@prof_bycid I had similar issues with my male steamfitter, so I decided he would not hold any tool in his hand 😊

• Haha 1

@Franchute light box works better into a room with diffuse light, sun light is  aways preferable to artificial one.

Then, filtering direct light from lamps is important. I did my light box out of a card box. The top and side faces have been removed and there I used domestic baker paper for filtering light from lamps. The front side of the box is illuminated by outside sun light from a window. It works fine in summer time, bit less during winter.

• Agree 1

On 8/19/2018 at 1:43 AM, Purple Mist said:
On 8/16/2018 at 11:21 PM, Viruk said:

6 Terror Tots and Cherub for a total of 2 soulstones

Guess their value is al least 20 Soulstones.... even more considering your achivements in comparison with mine (I painted the 3 plastic models months ago). 

My bad, missed the 7 - 6 Tots and Cherub would make a total of 27 soulstones, thanks for pointing that out :)

Hello,

working on bases for Hoarcats:

IMG_20180820_182916.jpg

I used glass powder,  water effect stuff and some snow flock to get the ice effect. Mmmm, I'm seeing now the pic is quite dark and indeed the base looks very different depending on  light reflection over it.

IMG_20180820_182925.jpg

Hard lighted bases looks flat because of light killing details.

BTW, I quickly took my shoots on the working table. No lighing box yet.

• Like 2

@Viruk the correct soulstone count had been entered into my spreadsheet 👍🏻

@Purple Mist I'm looking forward to these bases with their cats!

I have some more WIP pictures on the kentauroi:

8B13D29B-02F7-4F00-BC3F-D49F72A05526_zps

5200F1D6-E6DC-42A1-B82B-EDE119274040_zps

A8AA8A32-A8BE-4167-BBD4-3489837C3099_zps

Most of the work is done. I just need to do some details like the hooves, the stitches, adding some glazes here and there, some blood, the spear etc...

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Burnin' Coal said:

@Franchute Hi...been away from home way too long so July was another mulligan for me...I know it was my second but don't want to post anything just in case it was my third...

Very nice tones on your Kentauroi..will catch up with what everyone has been doing now

@Burnin' Coal Thanks.

If you want to use another mulligan, we can simply downgrade you to "enforcer". In this case, your first mulligan won't count anymore because you painted 10 sousltones that month, meaning you'll have another chance.

8 minutes ago, Burnin' Coal said:

@Franchute If that's possible then cool...and thanks a lot !....I'm up for whatever keeps me in....and with only ten days to go until the end of the month I better get myself  busy !

Maybe we can do both: we downgrade you to enfoercer and you paint between 5 and 10 soulstones in the ten days you have left so that you'll have one extra mulligan in the future ;)