Ressers Keywords M3E

I really liked the thread by @Da Git for the Ten Thunders so I thought I do the same for our local necromancers. Here's a list of the current keywords and my thoughts on where they're going

Belle Maybe this name will change to also include Seamus and the Copycat Killer and exclude Molly

• Seamus and Copycat Killer
  • H Madam Sybelle
  • M Mourners
  • M Rotten Belles
  • M Dead Doxies

Seamus will definitely need some more variety for his lists. I'm hoping they include his ability to hire living Showgirls as undead in the new edition but he will certainly need a bit more access to dedicated beater models as the crew is a little pillow-fisted at the moment.

Ancestors

• Yan Lo & Soul Porter
  • H - Toshiro
  • H - Manos
  • E - Izamu
  • E - Yin
  • E - Chiaki

Retainers

• E - Sun Quiang (10T)
  • M - Ashigaru
  • M - Komainu (10T)
  • M - Goryo
  • M - Onryo

There's a good selection of models here. Yan Lo has access to beaters and support pieces. The only thing that could really be added is a dedicated scheme runner IMO.

Spirit once again,  fully expect this keyword to change to not include a ridiculous number of models from other factions. I'm guessing it'll turn into something like Ghost. Here's what I think will be in there

• Kirai + Lost Love
  • H Datsu Ba
  • E Jaakuna Ubume
  • E Ikiryo
  • E Lampad
  • M Gaki
  • M Goryo
  • M The Hanged
  • M The Drowned
  • M Night Terror
  • M Onryo
  • M Shikome
  • P Graveyard Spirit?

There's a lot of wiggle room in this one but I think she's got a good selection of models and should do fine without adding anything more, although Bone Piles could be added to the list as they're very ghost-like in the fluff

Horror 

• Molly + Necrotic Machine
  • H Philip and the Nanny
  • H Archie
  • H The Valedictorian
  • E Rogue Necromancy
  • E Sloth
  • E Yin
  • E Killjoy (Outcasts)
  • M Crooligan
  • M Draugr
  • M The Drowned
  • M Guild Autopsy
  • M Kentauroi
  • M Punk Zombie
  • M Students

Molly has a really nice selection of models to choose from, especially if she retains the ability to take Belles. I'm guessing she may lose access to a few models such as Kentauroi, Students, Yin, and the Valedictorian.

Revenant

• Reva + Corpse Candle
  • H Vincent St Clair
  • M Shieldbearer
  • M Draugr

This will definitely need to be expanded. I think we may see Lampads and Bone Piles added to this list and they fit the fiery aesthetic of the list.

McMourning currently has no keyword attached to him. I'm guessing he'll get something akin to Laboratory, or Test Subjects. My best guess as to what will be included is

• McMourning + Zombie Chuahua
  • H Sebasian
  • E Rafkin
  • E Rogue Necromancy
  • M Canine Remains
  • M Flesh Consruct
  • M Guild Autopsies
  • M Nurses
  • M Kentauroi
  • M Little Gassers

Besides these I think we could also have him as a home for rig i who aren't themed with anyone at the moment. It's also possible he will be able to bring in the Guild models from the starter set for the Doctor theme.

Tormented

• Jack + Ligeia
  • H Montressor (Outcasts)
  • E Wrath (Neverborn)
  • E Envy (Arcanists)
  • E Gluttony (Bayou)
  • E Greed (Guild)
  • E Jaakuna Ubume
  • E Lust (10T)
  • E Papa Loco (Guild)
  • E Serena Bowman (Neverborn)
  • E Sloth
  • E Pride (Outcasts)
  • M Crooked Man
  • M Guilty (Outcasts)
  • M The Drowned
  • M The Hanged
  • M Nurses
  • M Dead Outlaw (Outcasts)

Quite a selection of models to pick from. I expect that Jack will be bringing his box models over to Ressurs in the switch. I honestly don't expect much to change here as his selections are fairly well rounded.

Academics It's possible that Von Schtook will be Academic focused, although I expect that he will actually be gaining a new keyword such as Transmortis to differentiate himself from Sandeep.

• Albus + Totem
  • H Amina Naidu (Arcanists)
  • H Kudra (Arcanists
  • H The Valedictorian
  • E Freikorps Librarian (Outcasts)
  • E Oxfordian Mages (Arcanists)
  • E Shastar Vidiya Guard (Arcanists)
  • M Sanctioned Spellcasters (Guild)
  • M Students

I think Von Schtook won't have these out of faction models. Instead we'll likely see a slew of new models for our newest necromancer.

Well what do you guys think? Anything you think will be different? Let me know

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I think the exercise is fun, but I think you and the other thread are making potentially faulty assumptions. You are assuming things that have a keyword now will have it next edition. Outside of models that are specifically called out as being created by or working with a master in fiction, I wouldn’t put any stock in any keyword continuing just because it did this edition. Case in point Yin, She might be a horror, assuming that’s Molly’s keyword, but it wouldn’t shock me if she wasn’t. She wasn’t in 1st, and there is not one fiction that ties them together.

The only model I would personally be willing to stake a bet on having Horror, assuming that’s Molly’s keyword, is Archie. I know there will be others that have it, but I wouldn’t be comfortable making a bet on any others, especially given how keywords were handed out during the initial open beta for m2e.

I personally would expect von Schook to get a new keyword. Making his academic would overlap other masters keywords I feel. Better to give them unique keywords and then double trait models they want to have both than lock themselves into two masters sharing the same pool of models with no way to separate them.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Well Von Schtook is supposedly a necromancer as well as academic so he is going to need keyword to raise!

Molly will get all the content of her box and i can see the the other horrors as well, it says she is leaving summoning behind and becoming a control master so she is going to need a good sized pool to hire.

Seamus is obviously going to get Belles of all types in his pool.

Reva i think will get maybe  draugr and her box stuff.

Kirai spirits

Mcmourning will get his box set stuff plus probably any other abomination style like kentauroi etc

Question is what kind of keyword will the various henchmen like Asura and Mortimer get?

2 hours ago, Fetid Strumpet said:

I think the exercise is fun, but I think you and the other thread are making potentially faulty assumptions. You are assuming things that have a keyword now will have it next edition. Outside of models that are specifically called out as being created by or working with a master in fiction, I wouldn’t put any stock in any keyword continuing just because it did this edition. Case in point Yin, She might be a horror, assuming that’s Molly’s keyword, but it wouldn’t shock me if she wasn’t. She wasn’t in 1st, and there is not one fiction that ties them together.

The only model I would personally be willing to stake a bet on having Horror, assuming that’s Molly’s keyword, is Archie. I know there will be others that have it, but I wouldn’t be comfortable making a bet on any others, especially given how keywords were handed out during the initial open beta for m2e.

I personally would expect von Schook to get a new keyword. Making his academic would overlap other masters keywords I feel. Better to give them unique keywords and then double trait models they want to have both than lock themselves into two masters sharing the same pool of models with no way to separate them.

In my post I talk about models losing keywords. I said I wouldn't be surprised if Yin lost the horror characteristic as well as the Students and Kentaroi. I certainly don't believe they all will stay the same. I think there will be some model sharing going on but there's definitely some models with keywords that don't make sense thematically.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Fetid Strumpet said:

Whilst I agree current keywords aren't fixed, I would slightly disagree with you on yin. She was a special forces Horror in first ed. 

That may well have been because Molly needed more to have a use, because I agree there is little story to support her keywords especially heading back to first, where she had rogue necromancy, despite the story being McMorning made it and gave it to Marcus. 

Back in first ed we had 2 attempts at thematic hiring, the outcast faction which was really 4 unconnected masters, with no overlap, rather than a faction. 

There was also special forces, which didn't really get explored because it barely impacted, due to the small number, but basically you could only have 1 type of special forces in your crew, and only 2 members unless you had the special forces leader. Ressers drew the short straw in theme, but the other 5 at least felt themed.  

Perhaps we have a similar restriction of only so many out of themed models.

And as a final aside, grimwell and mcmorning do not have a thematic connection. He has a bigger connection with beasts than physiologists.

I'm guessing McMourning will go back to playing with his box models, rogue necro, Rafkin and autopsies. All of those are heavily themed for him. Then he'll hire in one or two models from other themes as needed. Apart from being rather weak himself compared to many other masters he has always been kind of versatile, able to do killing/summoning/scheming within theme.

I think a big question hanging over this thread (and other similar ones) is how closely keywords will be linked to cross-faction hiring. If they are essentially the one mechanic I could see more specific keywords being rolled out, like academics breaking into their various schools of magic. If not then the overlap in keywords between factions won't matter as much.

I'm thinking there will still be a decent amount of out of faction hiring since it has always been a thing. Very good way to make players slip into a new faction/master as well as creating diverse lists within the same faction.

• Agree 1

Yeah, I'd be very surprised if it goes away. Too good for business if nothing else. :)

I was just thinking that it'll have a big impact on keywords if masters can hire themed models regardless of faction compared to them needing to be dual faction or have some other tag or something. Obviously these threads exist for joy of speculation but it's particularly idle given the amount of information we have at this point. 😀

Thanks for doing up this list @Deathinabox I agree with the non-fixed key-words which I also mentioned in the 10T post.  As for Ressers (one of my three main factions)

Kirai: My main resser... I could be in the minority here, but I really, really don't want her keyword to be Spirit or Ghost.  I'd like her to go more with her Japanese theme and her keyword be Yurei (Japanese for ghost, especially evil). So no Hanged, Drowned, Lampads, Night Terrors and especially no Phillip. I could also kind of see Goryo becoming an Enforcer since they keep they wits and skills, where the others a more or less vengeance machines.

Seamus: Really needs a beater.  It could be too similar to Archie or Flesh construct, but I'd like to see something like the hulk belle from the Something about Mollie story from Chronicles 7.  It could also make an awesome alt model for the above.  The other thing for Seamus is can he keep showgirls?  If he can, I probably think it should just be minions as I don't really like the idea of a named character being killed and joining his little harem.

When his special project lumbered out of the shadows, he’d thought it was in the bag. He’d taken the body parts of three of his biggest and strongest girls and, with some guidance from that lunatic McMourning, had fused the muscle and bone structure of their upper torsos together. The result was a wire-bound hulk with arms like tree trunks and shoulders that looked wide enough to carry a horse without breaking a sweat.
‘There’s my girls,’ he beamed proudly as the huge abomination came to a halt a few feet from the wagon and looked down at him with a slack grey face. ‘My Lucy-Sue-Ellie. Ye know what to do, girls.’

McMourning: I think your list is perfect.

Molly: Agree with the losses from your list, although maybe keep Kentori?

Reva: This is where I feel Lampads should go. With her shift towards pyre markers, these guys seem perfect.  She does need some help probably... a cheap scheme runner? 

Yan's fine

Jack Daw... Meh ;)

Versatile : Emissary & Effigy obviously, but I'd also like to see the Dead Rider, Sloth and Bete Noir in this category too.

My quick thoughts anyway.

Disagree on not gettibg names showgirls, if that is a thing. Granted this is all wild speculation as they might have changed (though if belles changed to not be what they’ve been since 1e then absolutely no characteristics or previous theme is sacred for anyone) but aside from a few differences which certainly could have niche differences, minion showgirls mostly filled the same role as minion belles.

Plus I like the undead paint job I have on my Angelica and Cassandra. ;)

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Fetid Strumpet said:

She’s [Bete Noire] been pretty lackluster and under par for the entirety of Malifaux’s existence. Despite being one of the intital models released and designed.

Tell that to Desperate Mercenary that was even featured on M2E Rulebook 😃
Or Teddy - one of the most iconic models of Malifaux. I, personally, like him, but a lot of people see him as lackluster 😕

I'm quite interested in finding out which models will be versatile. I wonder if Anna Lovelace and Asura Roten will be. Also I'd be interested to see if Mortimer gets

re-purposed/reassigned or whether he's going into the Dead Mans Hand with his Master. Also necropunks? maybe a versatile scheme runner? If I had to choose a theme for them I would say probably Mcmourning. 

4 hours ago, Athiko said:

Also necropunks? maybe a versatile scheme runner? If I had to choose a theme for them I would say probably Mcmourning. 

Actually I think they go well with the new ressur master: the students already are half construct half undead. They seem to fit well this theme.

• Agree 1