Trying New Models

Talthar

I;m making an effort to try models I haven't played and different crew constructions.  Yesterday I took a Sniper for the first time, and he was darn good until Nino Ortega killed him in a sniper duel.  To add insult to injury, my Sniper was the target of Nino's Vendetta.  Here was my crew in that game, a 35 pt Henchmen fight:

Sensei Yu w/Wandering River Style

Mr. Graves w/Smoke Grenades

Katanaka Sniper

High River Monk

2x Tokarage

Had never played the Sniper pr the Monk before.  I need to try the various oni and see how they play and interact in a crew.  I'm trying to get away from "crutch" models like Izamu or Tengu.  

• Like 1

Fun fact to keep in mind with Sensei Yu.  When friendly models benefit from Focus while within 3" of him, he adds +1 to the total duel.  Your Snipers essentially become Sh 6 while they're focused, so long as they're not too far from him.  When you start playing him with Shenlong, it gets even better, with the Peasants being able to hand out Focus to other friendly models.

• Agree 1

23 hours ago, Rurouni Benshin said:

Fun fact to keep in mind with Sensei Yu.  When friendly models benefit from Focus while within 3" of him, he adds +1 to the total duel.  Your Snipers essentially become Sh 6 while they're focused, so long as they're not too far from him.  When you start playing him with Shenlong, it gets even better, with the Peasants being able to hand out Focus to other friendly models.

I'm trying my first 50ss Shen Long crew today, against Ressurs.  I'll probably post the crews and the results on the TT forum.

• Like 1

On 7/28/2018 at 8:02 AM, Talthar said:

I'm trying my first 50ss Shen Long crew today, against Ressurs.  I'll probably post the crews and the results on the TT forum.

Nice! Looking forward to reading your progress! 

On a related note, I just played Shenlong yesterday for the first time WITHOUT Sensei Yu.  Worked out pretty well, honestly.  I won't clog up your thread with my own battle report, but just to gloss over what I did, the mission was "Ours", and the schemes were Guarded Treasure, Set Up, Covert Breakthrough, Hold Up Their Forces, and Take One for the Team.  Scored max points on Hold Up Their Forces and Guarded Treasure, and finished 10-1 against a Ramos player.  In hindsight, I probably should've done either Set Up or Covert Breakthrough instead of Guarded Treasure, but it still worked out well for me.

36 minutes ago, Rurouni Benshin said:

On a related note, I just played Shenlong yesterday for the first time WITHOUT Sensei Yu.

Congratulations, building crews without that mandatory 11ss tax will serve you well. I consider him if I want a more beaty Shenlong, or if the pool rewards expensive scheme-y models, but a lot of the time I will field either Shenlong or Yu, rarely both.

2 minutes ago, whodares said:

Meanwhile you have me who pretty much always runs Shenlong with the full support package of Yu, Emissary and LRM.

Yu and Emissary can give so many pushes there should a rule against it :)

This was how I played him religiously since the Emissary has been around.  Still do, but I'm seeing where there are advantages to not having Sensei there.  Truthfully speaking, the Emissary is the key piece to this, with the card drawing, but with the right support, there's definitely a lot of staying power here.

44 minutes ago, Rurouni Benshin said:

This was how I played him religiously since the Emissary has been around.  Still do, but I'm seeing where there are advantages to not having Sensei there.  Truthfully speaking, the Emissary is the key piece to this, with the card drawing, but with the right support, there's definitely a lot of staying power here.

I'm not going to argue that there are advantages to not taking Yu. The extra stones can do quite a lot when building crews.

I mainly use Yu as a pushbot, but people also tend to forget he's actually quite capable in melee combat as well. Ml6 with 2/3/4 damage track is nothing to write home about, but the guaranteed free focus afterwards AND a choice of Burning, Poison or Slow make him awesome to tarpit certain models. If you manage to target thesame model with you attacks, you can pretty much guarantee 1 of them hitting due to the focus being after resolving, not after succeeding or damaging. You can fail the attack, still get the focus and do a focussed attack, which then grants you another free guaranteed focus for the Ability which grants him an interact for a focus.

My problem with the Sensei is that he's just so good as so many different things, especially with Shenlong, that I just can't argue against taking him. Sure, his damage output isn't Izamu or Yasunori level, but he slows the other guy pretty much guaranteed. Model tieing up board space/your models? Better push them away. Have the right Style? Pushed model gets Slow/Fast. Wanna tarpit? Get Low River Style and your focussed attack will pretty much guarantee a free Defensive. There's plenty more to talk about, but I'm always amazed people don't take him in Shenlong. He pretty much becomes a second Shenlong in those cases.

The things in a Shenlong crew that I would look to change are probably the LRM + Emissary combo. It's really hard, because that combo brings so much to the table for 14 stones. 3 cards extra in hand, 2 if you take off the Emissary Ability for Focus +2. Then that Emissary can pretty much hit anyone for 6 damage thanks to double focus. a push + fast without duel/TN to get.

Anyways, I hope to see some refreshing playstyles in this thread. I've grown a bit hardstuck on my current expensive Shenlong core. So my request would be to amaze me with these crazy, silly, refreshing plays :)

1 minute ago, whodares said:

Anyways, I hope to see some refreshing playstyles in this thread. I've grown a bit hardstuck on my current expensive Shenlong core. So my request would be to amaze me with these crazy, silly, refreshing plays :)

lol think you've just convinced me to do a Battle Report for my Yu-less game yesterday.

• Agree 1