Mistakes Were Made

Gloomy

We all make a lot of mistakes when we're learning the game, I think my most common one was forgetting that my models we're Terrifying until after they we're dead. But even experienced players are prone to the occasional massive blunder. I recently played in a Tournament where i made 2 of these earning myself my first (well deserved) wooden spoon 😛 

I was soloing Mcmourning and I'd already lost my first game against Zipp. My second game was against Tara (Outcasts) I'd played my opponent several times before and knew he was fond of throwing the Nothing beast in my face so I decided to take Set Up on the NB. For some reason I decided to attack him, I think my reasoning was to soften him up a bit to kill after Set Up. As with most of my crew my attacks come with a little dose of poison. Forgetting about Sebastian's Auras I moved him too close to the NB and the Nothing Beast promptly died from Poison before I could complete set up. 

My final game of the tournament I was up against Lady J. Neither myself or my opponent could get the QR code to scan so I ended up manually entering the Strat and Schemes in to crewfaux. In my defence the clock was ticking and I did this in a rush... but yes I put in a scheme that wasn't in the pool... and then chose it! I then spent the next hour Recovering Evidence blissfully unaware that it wasn't actually in the pool. Neither of us noticed until the end of turn 3. My opponent was a really good sport and offered to let me choose a new scheme but I declined as the game was too far gone and it would give me an unfair advantage. I played on with only one Scheme and lost. Wooden Spoon ahoy!

The other one that comes to mind was a friendly last year playing Interference. In a moment of madness I tried to deny my opponent an Interference point by running Mcmourning across the entire board into another table quarter using all my AP and a poison push. Unfortunately I'd failed to notice a model tucked behind some cover therefore denying nothing. On the following turn with Mcmourning way out of position and deep in the enemies ranks he was promptly murdered and the game spiralled down from there.

Anyway those are a few of mine, I'd love to hear some of your most embarrassing cock ups. Please share this is a safe space :D

• Haha 2

In GG17 I was playing a tournament with Arcanists and was at the top table for the final round. I had a Silent One as my frame for murder target. She got killed on turn 3 by my Resser opponent's Archie (a henchman, would have been a full 3 VP) and I just failed to announce it or give myself any points. I lost 5-3 and wound up in 4th place when I should have won 6-5 and won the tournament as the match containing the next 2 players tied.

• Haha 1

I think ‘most every game of mine still ends up with a howler at some point. :(

Awhile back, in an addle-headed shakeup of a game I’d borrowed nephilim and my opponent ran Viks. He did that sisters’ place thingy. With Barbaros and merely one other model in range. Who then soulstone flipped like a god against their flips like the black joker incarnate, and survived while putting four wounds apiece on the Viks, who failed to kill anything. It was a confluence of poor planning and poor flipping I hope never to see again.

• Like 1

I once threw a game by accidentally tabling my opponent. They only had Sensei Yu left, who I had Take Prisoner on. It was turn five, and I had Mancha Roja engaging him. I decided to be clever, in case it went to turn 6 (as if I couldn't just engage Yu again if he moved! I had maybe five models left!), so I used a stone to get Mancha to paralyse Yu in a little flourish. And then of course flipped moderate damage on a :-flip, killing Sensei Yu and denying me three points, leaving me one point behind my opponent. The game didn't continue and I think I had already maxed out on other points already anyway, so I lost.

Still, it's a fun story and it's always intruiging to people to hear about a game where one player got tabled and still won, even if it was my own silly fault.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

I recently placed myself into the area where my opponent had quite obviously set up for an inescapable trap. I also managed to deny my own trap in the same game by killing an enemy model I really didn't need to kill.

I also took McCabe and a melee focused list into a game of collect the bounty against a Collodi sniper spam in gg2017, it did not end well.

• Like 2

Set Up on McMourning. Start of t2 I pop Recalled Training on a Fast Misaki and proceed to blenderise the good doctor, who was Stalked for a total ++/++ to flips. Probably tossed a few good cards in to seal the deal. That was bit of an oops moment.

Still won the game and event.

• Like 1