Third Edition is Coming!!

Nef

Hey lots of people love their phones, even people older than me! ;)

I know a lot of people who like having the cards. It's faster and easier for the opponent to quickly see something, like how many wounds everyone has left. 

I've heard a lot of people being happy about Warmachine and the app there but not everyone has a brand new smart phone... or even a smart phone.

3 minutes ago, Erik1978 said:

I know a guy like that... ONE guy. He puts on glasses when he has to read something, and he made larger cards for schemes etc. So it seems a solution that very few people actually need.

Maybe I did not make it clear: For my buddy there is no way putting on glasses to increase his eyesight. For me this is a big step to inclusion and I fully support it even if it means I have to get new sleeves and a way to get the stuff sorted.

• Agree 3

Usability is a big aspect of it for sure.  Warmachine's initial app wasn't too bad, but the current one just works.  The current Malifaux app needs some serious reworking to be competitive with cards.  The rule lookup is pretty dire and would probably be better if it just had PDFs of the cards to work with.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

For my buddy there is no way putting on glasses to increase his eyesight.

I'm sure that person isn't the only one out there but it still seems strange to make tarot cards because of 0.2% of the customers?

I'm sure we can find others with disabilities that Wyrd could take into account but usually a company looks at the majority of their customers. But I hope your friend will able to play with the new cards, I can't stop it anyway, I just hope 3rd edition will be just as good as 2nd, for him to get excited about. ;)

Something IS easier now: I don't have to take all the cards out of the sleeves or even out of the binder, everything becomes obsolete at the same time. Look at the bright side I suppose...

• Agree 1
  • Respectfully Disagree 1

Just now, Erik1978 said:

I'm sure that person isn't the only one out there but it still seems strange to make tarot cards because of 0.2% of the customers?

I'm sure we can find others with disabilities that Wyrd could take into account but usually a company looks at the majority of their customers. But I hope your friend will able to play with the new cards, I can't stop it anyway, I just hope 3rd edition will be just as good as 2nd, for him to get excited about. ;)

Something IS easier now: I don't have to take all the cards out of the sleeves or even out of the binder, everything becomes obsolete at the same time. Look at the bright side I suppose...

I am not saying that is the reason why Wyrd did change the format. And of course there are even more severe disabilities which stop people from playing the game.

All I am saying is that I think it is a good thing for people who struggled with the current text size and for me it is not that big of an impact to really get upset about. Just trying to get some positivity through. :)

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, Erik1978 said:

So as a Henchman with about 400 models and all the stat cards in sleeves and in a binder with colored pages to match the factions, I just get a big old slap in the face with these new cards.

400+ sleeves down the drain along with my custom made colored pages for those stat cards.

But hey, 3-4 people with poor eye sight like the bigger cards... great, can they buy me 400 new sleeves and new binders? 

If they're offering the cards for free, just scale them down and print them yourself so they'll fit your existing card sleeves if you're that worried about extracting additional value from them.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Agree 1

10 minutes ago, Razhem said:

The pics I've seen are hard to read, how does charge, interact and desingage work please?

Also, fine with the red, not so fine at the lack of simetry with the black, hopefully there is something in play to mitigate a flipped BJ at a cost

This is post has a picture that is easy to read:

• Thanks 2

30 minutes ago, PirateCaptain said:

I agree, I like that you can't interact the same turn you disengage

It looks like you may not be able to walk though someone's engagement range even if you didn't start there. I suspect that it will become much more viable to screen models and objectives than it is in M2E.

Walk: This model moves up to its Mv in inches. This movement cannot be used to leave an enemy model's engagement range.

Charge: Once per Activation. Cannot be declared while engaged.   Push this model up to its Mv in inches and then take a :ToS-Melee: action.

Interact: Cannot be declared while enagaged or if this model took the Disengaged Action this activation.  Do one of the following: 1) Place a Scheme Marker in base contact with this model and not within 4" of another friendly Scheme Marker.  2) remove all Scheme Markers in base contact with this model, or 3) resolve a specific rule that refers to an Interact Action.

Disengage: Can only be declared while engaged. One enemy model engaging this model may make a :ToS-Melee: Attack targeting thise model. After resovling the Attack (if Any), this model pushes up to its Mv in inches.  If the attack was successful, it may not declare triggers and instead of its normal effects, reducts this models's push distance by 2/4/6 inches.  This "damage" flip can be Cheated and receives a :+flipfor every  other enemy model engaging this model.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 4

Not a fan of the Red Joker change, should be at least +2 I think. Only reason I'd ever cheat it on a damage flip over a duel flip would be if I required exactly 1 extra damage to kill something. Guess it makes it easier to choose what to do with it though...

I really like the change to charge. Gives you a bit more flexibility. Interesting to see if pounce is still a thing and triggers on push... Could still exclude pushes generated by charges I guess.

Like the wording on Interact, doesn't change anything but the text is clearer which I like. One interact to remove all scheme markers in base contact offers some protection from setup by Titania and/or the Tooth.

Disengaging strike is also good, means you might not entirely waste an AP, at least you're likely in a slightly better position to get out on second AP. Also like that it's a push as that limits the directions available. So easier but more limited to disengage. I think it's fair.

Cover and Concealment looks interesting too. Would be good to know what they mean. Can a model be both concealed and in cover?

• Agree 1

13 minutes ago, emiba said:

Like the wording on Interact, doesn't change anything but the text is clearer which I like. One interact to remove all scheme markers in base contact offers some protection from setup by Titania and/or the Tooth.

Other big thing to get from that interact action is now you can use it to remove your own markers.  That was always sort of a weird corner in the current rules.

• Thanks 1

I seriously hope gun actions/attacks get some love, at this point. Outside of increased mobility/threat ranges, the change to cover (+2 defence as well as the attacker getting a negative flip on damage) and the addition of concealment (negative on attack duel) to both go along with, presumably, still having to flip for a target that is engaged, means that anything with a gun icon will be an auto exclude from lists.

And here I was hoping, with m3e, Parker barrows was finally going to be in a better/good spot, guess I was wrong. Something's got to give, one would think.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, hYena said:

I seriously hope gun actions/attacks get some love, at this point. Outside of increased mobility/threat ranges, the change to cover (+2 defence as well as the attacker getting a negative flip) and the addition of concealment to both go along with, presumably, still having to flip for a target that is engaged, means that anything with a gun icon will be an auto exclude from lists.

And here I was hoping, with m3e, Parker barrows was finally going to be in a better/good spot, guess I was wrong. Something's got to give, one would think.

Kinda hoping there is a universal gunfighter rule that you can use guns in melee combat but not necessarily shoot out of it.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Fetid Strumpet said:

Pretty certain that corner case was to prevent obeys from getting out of control. Drop a marker and end in b2b with it and then an obey hits you and removes it.

There was an equally corner case trick of obeying a model to put down a scheme marker in the wrong place against positioning sensitive schemes to ruin things.  Either way, I won't miss it.