Third Edition is Coming!!

Nef

5 minutes ago, Kyris said:

I'm really not sure how I feel about this. I understand that the story must go on, and it's better than staying completely stagnant like some other war games do.

However, Wyrd, you have to understand how completely frustrating it is for players to remove masters from the game, or from their faction. Lilith for example was always my go to NB master; yeah, there's the "dead man's hand", but still.

it's also frustrating removing characters from faction. I, as a NB player, may as well just, what, throw my lynch crew in the trash? I don't play 10T, so what good is he to me now?

With hiring restricted more along the lines of keywords, I don't think removing masters from a faction will matter all that much.  In M2E it mattered because it determined whether or not Yan Lo had access to Yasinori, but if things are paying a tax outside of their keyword, I think we'll find Lynch running Beckoners, Serena and Illuminated regardless of what "faction" he falls under.

In M2E, the primary reason you had to focus on a faction was because thematic crews were kind of a flop.  You couldn't focus on something like Death Marshals without the eldest Ortega showing up and your Cabaret had that hulking steampunk abomination in the middle of it.  If keyword hiring actually works out and masters focus on their keyword link crews more than generic faction all stars; you can play Lynch, 10T locked or not, without needing to buy extensively into 10T.  As far as I'm concerned, that's a huge plus.

Of masters truly gone, I think its interesting that the remaining ones feel significantly revamped in description, so that might be less noticeably than it first seems.  Of them, Lilith and Nico feel like they have obvious analogs in their replacements, with Ramos being the one that feels like there's no substitute.  I'm a little surprised at the total lack of Collodi, though with some recent 10T puppet additions, I'm more than a little suspicious of the nature of their new brothel keeper....

• Like 3
  • Agree 2

Can McCabe still hire his doggies!?  They like him better than the stupid, stuffy Guild anyways.

I've had a dream of starting to dip into Neverborn cause I love Lynch so much; I guess that's one of the things that drew me into the Thunders in the first place- having a toe in to all the other factions already, so branching out was an open option.  It turns out that I haven't really ended up having the extra time or money; so maybe it's a small mercy that that's being scaled back some as one of the defining aspects of the Thunders.

I do really appreciate doubling down on thematic crews, though- having to sacrifice for faction allstars outside of a crew's theme makes sense.  I was getting kind of annoyed with seeing the same faction auto-includes in every crew.  Why is Francisco away from Latigo again?  Why is he helping this cooky reporter who just wrote a really scathing story about him?

I'm apprehensive about change, but I trust the design experience of Wyrd as well as Wyrd's continued respect for its community.

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

*opens coffin lid*

Hoo boy, that was a nice nap. 

Oh, Malifaux is getting a 3rd Edition that will finally streamline the rules and overwhelming number of character abilities? Well, let me stay awake, then.

Seriously though, this is so necessary for the longevity of the game. Good call, Wyrd. 

• Like 4
  • Agree 2

11 minutes ago, Mason said:

M3E still has Upgrades, though we're dialing them back somewhat from where M2E is.

Glad to hear it is being dialed back at least.  There was a lot of dead bloat in those upgrades.  It often felt like they were variance for the sake of variance rather than theme or improving gameplay mechanics.  I would prefer to see them only when thematically appropriate like Yan Lo's reliquary and Jack Daw's curses.  Regardless, you've got my attention.

• Agree 1
  • Respectfully Disagree 1

26 minutes ago, Clement said:

They used the same language on the hop from 1st to 2nd edition.  For example, 1st edition Rotten belles had 5 abilities, 2 actual attacks, 3 spells and a generic trigger I've thankfully managed to forget.   2nd ed belles came down to 3 abilities and 3 attacks/spells.  They were still tactically interesting pieces.  I'm willing to give the benefit of the doubt for now.

After what some other games have done, I can't help but be concerned after reading what Wyrd is proposing to do, and how they are expressing it. I do hope you're right.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

13 minutes ago, Mason said:

We're not announcing a public date at this time, as we want to ensure that we have the option of extending playtest if  needed. Our first priority is to ensure that M3E is fun and balanced, and some wiggle room will help us in that regard. So apologies that I can't give you a fixed date at this time!

I like the fact you used the words fun and balanced. 

• Like 1

Hello there, 

Can you please explain how will burn work in the new edition? I saw the card and read the rules but I'm in the impression that only 1 point of damage will be given every turn. Is this to balance with poinson? If this is the case why does the condition scales with each turn?

Thank you, 

What about the upgrade cards? If we own the Generalist and Broke Promises Upgrade Decks, will they still work or will they become useless?

And the "removed" masters' crews? I suppose it's only the master who won't be suitable for being played on tournaments. Right?

This sounds interesting. I really hope you get the Thematic bonuses right. In my opinion a thematic crew should always be a playable option, but it should never be the only playable option.

I am a bit disapointed with Collodi getting removed though, especially without any reason in the background (yet). Maybe Hinamatsu will kill him... But he was one of the coolest masters in the background and had a wonderful thematic crew.

• Like 3

Wow!! Just. ...wow!!

My first reaction was one of fear, but reading the intention of the new edition  I am excited! 

The best thing about 1st to 2nd was how much easier it became to play without constantly searching for what certain rules and abilities mean. I get the impression that this is the improvement in experience we're going to get with 3rd :D 

• Like 1

I'd love it if some of the alt models were given options for tournament legal models rather than their old Dead Man alternatives.  It'd be great if, say, Alt-Nicodem could instead sub in for Von Schtook.

But in general, very excited to see where things go from here!

• Agree 2

8 minutes ago, TeddyBear said:

WOOOOOOOW

but guys Lilith, Nico, Collodi?

They look to become tournament "optional" now, and will get new cards and rules in the update.  See Mason's prior post back on page 1 for more.

7 minutes ago, GoDsHanD said:

Hello there, 

Can you please explain how will burn work in the new edition? I saw the card and read the rules but I'm in the impression that only 1 point of damage will be given every turn. Is this to balance with poinson? If this is the case why does the condition scales with each turn?

Thank you, 

My hunch is that, like poison, some models will be able to make Burning either burn for more damage or else purge off big chunks of it for instant damage.  So the burning condition itself will not be inherently more valuable, but thematic models will likely have a way to exploit it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Agree 2

Hey guys just a reminder that a lot of these questions will be answered as we move forward! We don't want to spoil everything right away. Demos at GenCon will let people get some hands-on experience, and the Closed Beta is a great way to see and shape the future of Malifaux. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

The big things that are creating anxiety for me are "what happens to my existing collection?" and "what can I safely buy and paint at this point?". Please answer those as soon as you comfortably can cause I cannot do a thing moving forward without those. Getting back a commissioned Valedictorian real soon and all I can think is "will Sandeep still be able to infiltrate them?" and other questions like "what the hell do I need all these steam arachnids for now?" and "So... if I buy this Merc can I use it in 3e?"

7 minutes ago, Lalochezia said:

Looks like stunned sort of plays that role. And paralyze was always a bit much in my opinion.

Really looks like they nailed it with the conditions, IMO

*shrug, depends on how many "Tokens" they create. going from 30 billion "conditions" to 11 "conditions" and 10 billion "tokens" will be an improvement... but not really solve the problem.

• Like 3
  • Agree 2

11 minutes ago, Mortarion said:

This sounds interesting. I really hope you get the Thematic bonuses right. In my opinion a thematic crew should always be an option, but it should never be the only option.

Totally agree, and this what I hope they get right. I'm all for thematic crews, but I don't want to see the same crew every time I see a given master.

• Agree 2

7 minutes ago, Lalochezia said:

Looks like stunned sort of plays that role. And paralyze was always a bit much in my opinion.

Really looks like they nailed it with the conditions, IMO

If Stunned takes the place of Paralyzed, I'm very happy (even as a Resser player).  It is *never* fun in a game to provide a "skip a turn" condition, be it boardgames where someone takes multiple sequential turns in a game while someone else just watches or paralyzing a mini for an entire round/activation and having your opponent stare sadly down at the mini as it activates and deactivates again.  Stunned is a substantial penalty but still provides plenty of options for a model that suffers it.  I'm glad to see Paralyzed is likely gone.

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

2 minutes ago, Figgyfigs said:

Totally agree, and this what I hope they get right. I'm all for thematic crews, but I don't want to see the same crew every time I see a given master.

I mean, that's kind of how it is now. There are maybe 2-3 different ways of playing a given master, usually depending on what upgrade they took, everyone has already figured out the optimal crew for those playstyles, and it was the same crew every time unless people were just trying something different out to see how it'd work.

• Like 1

Wild, 

I'm definitely excited for the new edition. 

Since m2e had its over and under-powered choices I wonder if we're going to get into a situation where some of the thematic models sets are going to be drastically better than others and that will be the driving force for what becomes the competitive meta rather than the strength of the master itself as is currently the case. 

Eyes peeled!